Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

The support of the team was woeful yesterday...

I''m not sure if this was due to nervous tension as auto promotion is now in our own hands, or whether it was because we had 15+ coach loads of club cabbagers in amongst us?

I have heard 27 people make more noise than our 2,700 made for most of the game yesterday. We really need to do better than that, because I think had the backing from our large turnout been more vocal yesterday then we would''ve come away with another 2 points.

We also need to learn to sing as a unit more, rather than most songs coming from scattered groups of 10, 20 or 30 individuals.

Let''s turn up the volume for the rest of the games, coz we let the team down yesterday!

I have to agree.  I don''t understand it, because at Leicester we had the same number and while we were pegged back to 1-1 made a lot more noise than while we were ahead yesterday.

I don''t think the deafening music in the stadium up to kick off helped, and the Hull fans were pretty noisy for the first 10-15 mins, but after we went ahead we were quieter than any other away game I can remember this season.

Maybe woeful is a bit too harsh but I thought we were far too quiet, not a patch on Leicester away and many other away''s this year.I don''t think it''s just the ''Club Cabbagers'' as you put it, many of the regular cabbagers including me make plenty of noise.I did think however that there was alot of amatuer away fans yesterday, maybe we could call them ''glory hunters'' or ''non-regular twats'' as has been coined on here before?I think there''s alot now jumping on the bandwagon, I know of severalregulars who couldn''t get tickets for Watford due to them being snapped up so quickly by non regulars jumping aboard the bandwagon.

Why are some people always moaning about the fans. Yes it was a bit quieter yesterday - don''t know why. We thought the acoustics of the stadium did not help and the home fans outsung us.

I never complain about our loyal fans as some like us not from the fair city spent eight hours in a car yesterday.

Another thought - there di seem to be more children than usual at an away match.

I wasn''t there so that probably had to something to do with it :) I''m always starting songs off. Next game I can make though is watford because of work :( hopefully we''ll still be second fingers crossed!

When we get large away attendances as Smudger said we get the cabbagers turn up, who don''t want to make any noise. At Milwall we had just over 1000 of us and I have never heard Norwich fans make so much noise.

Without the cuckoo clock shout or the goal music many happy clappies aren''t quite sure about when to make any noise (or what is going on, come to that).

As it would be impossible to expect Hull or any other away club to provide guidance perhaps they could might allow one of our more vocal fans to come onto the pitch at half time and maybe voice some sort of encouragement - after suitable refreshment had been provided so as to avoid the embarrasment of a dry throat.

I shall write to the club to see if they might have anyone suited to the task.

From sitting right near you and recognising you, you and your cronies were hardly singing and busting a gut....

Glad someone has posted about this as I thought it might just have been me imagining it!

Compared with the fantastic support at Leeds, yesterday was a tad disappointing. May have been due to some fairweather fans and that could well be right. I met up with 4 people who used to live near Norwich but moved up to Louth some 8 or 9 years back. Only one would be classified as a NCFC follower yet all the family came along for the day. Nothing wrong with that at all but they''re not the type to be singing their hearts out!

With the noisy Hull fans right next to us you would think that might have inspired the Y''army on but it seemed to do the opposite. Don''t get me wrong, there were moments in the game when the whole stand sung as one and sounded loud. Didn''t happen enough though.

Can''t blame the Hull fans - I thought they were excellent and I did''nt notice any signs of threatening behaviour or intimidation. It was friendly banter and the yellow mixed with the orange after the game with no problems as far as I''m aware. 

[quote user="O.T.B.C"]From sitting right near you and recognising you, you and your cronies were hardly singing and busting a gut....[/quote]I agree mate, I gave up because all bar a one or two lads a couple of rows behind and a few just over the aisle way to my right were making no effort whatsoever.  Must have been due to too many older fanny magnets being there.  My brother was useless and woefully quiet too!Usually when I make an effort to sing and be noisy those around me join in and are usually up for keeping the atmosphere going.  Yesterday though, it just seemed that those making an effort to get the atmosphere going were banging their heads against a brick wall.  Perhaps it was due to something that they put in the beer in Hull?  Who knows??? [:|]

I think the problem was that where we were, there were loads of empty seats closer to the away end and when people near us sang, it just went in to thin air. Like you said the was pockets of people singing but not the whole lot.

The 2 blokes behind you sang about Phil Brown taking them down and that was about it, he had too many sherberts I think.

If the beer was anything like the drink we had, then it was horrible.

The Hull fans were load in parts, but other than a few bits here and there, they were woefull apart from some of the ''East Stand possy''

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]May have been due to some fairweather fans

[/quote]You mean like the op? Where was he two years ago when the club REALLY needed his support? Yep, he refused to attend games while "the cook" owned the club! But now we''re winning he''s back, criticising other fans. Unbelievable! [:$]

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]You mean like the op? Where was he two years ago when the club REALLY needed his support? Yep, he refused to attend games while "the cook" owned the club! But now we''re winning he''s back, criticising other fans. Unbelievable! [:$]

[/quote]

But surely if there''s one thing we''ve learned over the last three years, it''s that there is a Hierarchy of Norwich City Fans - which is, in reverse order:

> Fairweather fans who only watch/listen via radio/TV/internet.  Not "Proper supporters" because they don''t go to games.  May however phone Canary Call.

> Board members and other hangers-on (e.g. Stephen Fry) who go to home games but are not "proper supporters" because they are rich/famous etc.

> "Working class" fans who are better than the Board members because they genuinely love the team and do go to home games, but who are not "proper supporters" because they don''t go to away games.

> Fans who go to home games and away games, but don''t sing for 90 minutes or get behind the team.

> The Inner Circle, who go to home games, away games, sing for 90 minutes and get behind the team but are not Smudger.

> Smudger (forgetting the fact he loves the club so much he boycotted it in its hour of need), who is right about formations, tactics, players, management decisions, and of course the shortcomings of other fans.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

But surely if there''s one thing we''ve learned over the last three years, it''s that there is a Hierarchy of Norwich City Fans - which is, in reverse order:

> Fairweather fans who only watch/listen via radio/TV/internet.  Not "Proper supporters" because they don''t go to games.  May however phone Canary Call.

> Board members and other hangers-on (e.g. Stephen Fry) who go to home games but are not "proper supporters" because they are rich/famous etc.

> "Working class" fans who are better than the Board members because they genuinely love the team and do go to home games, but who are not "proper supporters" because they don''t go to away games.

> Fans who go to home games and away games, but don''t sing for 90 minutes or get behind the team.

> The Inner Circle, who go to home games, away games, sing for 90 minutes and get behind the team but are not Smudger.

> Smudger (forgetting the fact he loves the club so much he boycotted it in its hour of need), who is right about formations, tactics, players, management decisions, and of course the shortcomings of other fans.

[/quote]haha that''s why you love me!!! [:D]

Interesting that a poor atmosphere is down to 11+ cabbage coaches but when 8 & 9 coaches go to Leeds Barnsley & Leicester its a superb atmosphere. But of course pepole who travel independently are never to blame. Those two extra bus loads must have a hell of an effest on the rest

Although I respect somewhat Smugers passion I cant help but find myself irritated by the way people seem to see interaction as a point of status or "fan value"Enjoy the game in your own way people.I agree we should all get behind the team but you gotta remember that the "club cabbage" and "happy clappers" have probably been to more games in thier lives than you have.Its not thier fault that mother nature came up with these 2 little things called getting old and death !!!

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]Oops just read the OP. Sorry Smudger only 11 coaches were Cabbage. Don''t know who the other day trippers were[/quote]Yeah I think that the majority of the coaches were Cabbage and then there were a few coaches from places like Caister etc???The cabbage stuff was only put up to raise a bit of debate/few smiles.  I''m not sure of the reasons why it was so quiet yesterday.  Probably a mixture  of different things?

*shrugs* who knows, after such an emotional midweek game maybe people were just a bit jaded ?I thought Bristol was perhaps the best atmosphere all season.Unfortunatly I never am allowed to go to away games as its the one concesion I have to make to the Mrs in order to get my season ticket :(*sigh* going to try to plan a few holidays next year around away game ! Bit pissed I will miss Notts Forest as I am off to Scotland !

I wish people would stop posting how crap our support is, I think it is far better than many give credit for and most sides would be grateful for 1/10th of the following/noise that we get. Of course there are times when things click and there''s more noise/a party atmosphere, but there''s also times when things are bound to be a bit more tense; I don''t see any reason to criticise for this. As far as I''m concerned anyone who chooses to follow the club is welcome, and it is up to them whether they want to make a load of noise. Period.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]*shrugs* who knows, after such an emotional midweek game maybe people were just a bit jaded ?I thought Bristol was perhaps the best atmosphere all season.Unfortunatly I never am allowed to go to away games as its the one concesion I have to make to the Mrs in order to get my season ticket :(*sigh* going to try to plan a few holidays next year around away game ! Bit pissed I will miss Notts Forest as I am off to Scotland ![/quote]Dear oh dear, how do you cope with a Mrs like that mate? She must be an absolute stunner, otherwise I would say that it is time to trade her in for a new model???Bristol City was a fairly good atmosphere (but it did kind of fade away at times during the "just can''t get enough chant" in the 2nd half which went on a little too long and got quieter and quieter).  I would say Leeds (away) has to be the best for me so far this season.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I wish people would stop posting how crap our support is, I think it is far better than many give credit for and most sides would be grateful for 1/10th of the following/noise that we get. Of course there are times when things click and there''s more noise/a party atmosphere, but there''s also times when things are bound to be a bit more tense; I don''t see any reason to criticise for this. As far as I''m concerned anyone who chooses to follow the club is welcome, and it is up to them whether they want to make a load of noise. Period.[/quote]I wasn''t aware anybody was criticising anybody.But considering we took 2,700 yesterday we were as quiet as I have heard our away support for at least two years.  In such a big game and with so much left to play for this season, shouldn''t we all be trying to make as much noise as possible?  I am sure that would make it a more enjoyable experience for most of those attending, rather than possibly feeling anxious and worrying too much about what the result might be?  I think that we should be getting behind the team as much as possible, as it is obviously helping them to pick up results.  If we are unable to  get as much enjoyment as we can out of the team right now, then aren''t we going to look back and wish that we enjoyed it more when the bad times eventually return to Carrow Road again one day?

Hehehe, yeah it sucks ! I am sure if there was a game I really wanted to go to she would not mind, but due to our jobs we do not see a lot of each other during the week dispite living together. So the weekends are sacred to her..... and match days even more so to me :-p  So I made a compromise as did she :)I find it quite ironic actually talking about chants and especially the "just can''t get enough" some posters in this thread have complained about needing a auto cue from the music or a prompt to sing.I find it more so ironic that its the same people complaining about the auto prompt that take such delight in singing rinse repeat songs heard across the entire league like " baby give it up " and " just cant get enough"I was actually shaking my head in dismay when the final whistle blew on monday to have the loud speakers belt out " just cant get enough " with " baby give it up " a stalwort on the pre game set list !!We have OTBC which really is a stand out football song, even non Norwich fans coment on how good it sounds etc especially at kick off.Just baffles me that we can''t come up with some more reals gems as a fan base and have to relly on 80''s song tunes or what i call " the Torres rip off"Infact the most inventive thing we have come up with recently is " We f**king love Grant Holt" and it doesnt take a GCSE to write that one !! :)

haha it seems that there is something about trying to sing songs to 80''s melodies recently.I was toying with the idea of creating something for Lansbury to the tune of J. Geils Band - Centrefold the other day but have no idea as to what words to use.  Maybe a few of the younger ones on here who keep ripping off other clubs songs could come up with something ''original'' using that?Maybe something along the lines of "Lansbury Scores another goal"???

...forgive me, but I don''t really see how saying "the support of the team was woeful yesterday" can be taken as anything other than a criticism, but it is just one of those things. Everyone''s there to get behind the team, but sometimes it just doesn''t happen as you''d hope, for whatever reason.

The most tense atmosphere I can recall was vs Gillingham in our Champs title winning season, there wasn''t a particularly good reason for it - it was a game we all saw as must-win so should have been up for it, but everyone just seemed to be way too nervous until we scored.

That is not actually that bad Smudger, Centrefold certainly has some good "nah nah nah nah" potential and is oddly my karokee song :-p

I don''t remember Preston or Doncaster having much of a support at Carrow Road, it didn''t stop them getting a good result (for them).

As to singing it might help if some fans actually sung, not bark like made yappy dogs. Heard Spurs fans singing "Oh when the Spurs go marching in" on TV last night. Imagine that reduced to some goggle eyed, manic shriek.

Speaking to some Hull fans last night (I stayed over) they said we were the best away support they''ve seen at the KC in years.Funny how opinions differ.But, yes, the noise seemed to be in ''pockets'' rather than unified. Luckily I was in a vocal pocket so it seemed pretty good where I was.

Jeez, the previous away support must have been turd.

I was impressed with the normal amount of fans that attended.