Sign in to follow this  
Lincoln Yellow

Standard of ref's

FA want us all to respect refs but they''re a total joke! Crazy penalty decision today, never seen a clearer pen. Awful decisions all day, he was shocking. FA ban people non stop for making comments but their refs are totally inept and pathetic!

The respect thing works both ways, premier league standard refs used to earn about 30k a year and then get match fee''s. They were never expected to give up their careers either. So we end up with part timers running professional football matches. (most likely teachers and most of us remember that the vast majority of those were idiots, who couldnt control an u10s girls badmington match). Until the FA expects full time commitment and professionalism from the refs at least in the top two tiers, they will always struggle for respect.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]The respect thing works both ways, premier league standard refs used to earn about 30k a year and then get match fee''s. They were never expected to give up their careers either. So we end up with part timers running professional football matches. (most likely teachers and most of us remember that the vast majority of those were idiots, who couldnt control an u10s girls badmington match). Until the FA expects full time commitment and professionalism from the refs at least in the top two tiers, they will always struggle for respect.[/quote]

Premier refs earn £65.000 a year and fooball league £50.000 not forgetting for most of them its not thier only income.

As frustrated as the rest of you, I feel a sense of realism should be used for this discussion. We expect our refs and officials to make no mistakes during the game, but we all know its not possible. Even the mighty yellows make mistakes during the game, so we''ll never iron out the human element and with that comes errors either officiating or playing the game.

What I''d like to see is accountability/post match interviews. I don''t like the Clattenburg/Rooney saga from a few weeks ago where Mr Riley comes out to explain what happened.

OTBC

[quote user="canaryfan68"]

As frustrated as the rest of you, I feel a sense of realism should be used for this discussion. We expect our refs and officials to make no mistakes during the game, but we all know its not possible. Even the mighty yellows make mistakes during the game, so we''ll never iron out the human element and with that comes errors either officiating or playing the game.

What I''d like to see is accountability/post match interviews. I don''t like the Clattenburg/Rooney saga from a few weeks ago where Mr Riley comes out to explain what happened.

OTBC

[/quote]

Your right, errors will always occur. I just feel that the referees for the money being paid can be full time concentrating on what would be a full time job. They could maybe be attached to clubs local to themseleves a few days a week to train with the teams making sure they are fit enough and also make sure they understand the professional game at every level. It''s not really a reaction to saturdays decision more just some of the shockers we''ve seen over the last two seasons such as Tranmere and Reading, where it''s almost impossible to see from any angle how the referee came to the decison he did, or where decisions seem totally inconsistent over the course of a single match.

Managers make mistakes, players make mistakes, and refs make mistakes. All three try their best, but all three get things wrong: managers make bad signings, players misplace passes, and refs give penalties when they shouldn''t.But why do we expect referees to get every single decision right, no questions asked? We accept that a player may miss the target sometimes, but we give referees an absolute bollocking if they make a poor decision.I think what would help the situation is if the refs spoke to the press after match, and explained why they made the decisions they did. As it is, the fans and the media just hammer the refs without hearing their side of things, which is a bit unfair.

Referees take a hammering whether they are right or wrong. It''s a tough gig and id imagine you have to be mentally super strong in order to succeed as a ref. How many sports now use technology to aid the referees, except football. And how many sports fans complain about the referees? Only football fans.

[quote user="Largey"]Referees take a hammering whether they are right or wrong. It''s a tough gig and id imagine you have to be mentally super strong in order to succeed as a ref. How many sports now use technology to aid the referees, except football. And how many sports fans complain about the referees? Only football fans.[/quote]Even before other sports starting using technology, it was in football where the referees received most of the abuse.I''m not a fan of video technology (but I do think it is easily plausible to have goal-line technology without this), and I think the main problem lies with the fans and the culture, as opposed to the lack of video refs.

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="Largey"]Referees take a hammering whether they are right or wrong. It''s a tough gig and id imagine you have to be mentally super strong in order to succeed as a ref. How many sports now use technology to aid the referees, except football. And how many sports fans complain about the referees? Only football fans.[/quote]

Even before other sports starting using technology, it was in football where the referees received most of the abuse.

I''m not a fan of video technology (but I do think it is easily plausible to have goal-line technology without this), and I think the main problem lies with the fans and the culture, as opposed to the lack of video refs.
[/quote]

I agree a big problem does lie with the fans, however thats not an excuse for someone being paid 50k a year to not be expected to be a professional in their job as physically possible. Once everything that is possible is being done to make sure the refs are as good as they can be and provided with the technology to help then the attitude and culture of fans can be focused on. Refs do get a raw deal and are not helped either by FIFA making up all this onside not onside rubbish and phases of play, but 25,000 fans paying to see their club can expect consistent ref''ing.

Two words - rugby union. The refs are under a similar amount of pressure in games, you could argue more as the risk of serious physical injury is much greater, but because there''s a culture of absolute respect for the referee, they can take charge, instead of being constantly sniped at by players and the crowd. Give refs more power (or tell them to use the power they have) to yellow card dissent and do things like move free kicks 10 metres forwards and we''ll see how much of the bleating continues when decisions don''t go the right way.And then maybe we''ll be allowed to drink in the stands like at rugby. [B]

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Two words - rugby union. The refs are under a similar amount of pressure in games, you could argue more as the risk of serious physical injury is much greater, but because there''s a culture of absolute respect for the referee, they can take charge, instead of being constantly sniped at by players and the crowd. Give refs more power (or tell them to use the power they have) to yellow card dissent and do things like move free kicks 10 metres forwards and we''ll see how much of the bleating continues when decisions don''t go the right way.[/quote]Quoted in agreement.

[quote user="mighty yellow"]refs*[/quote]Thanks for your maturity, if your next post could be about losing your virginity it''d be nice, we''ll be waiting a few years though I''d assume.