Sign in to follow this  
Gooders_Army

favourite ever city game???

Some more random suggestions. I can''t remember the exact season (it would have been early 90s) but I watched us beat Spurs 3-1 in the Barclay when it was still terracing. It was my one and only game before we went all seater, and though I was only 9 or 10 it was one hell of an experience. If I recall Spurs scored their consolation when we were 3-0 up and I remember our fans applauding their goal and thinking why? But being a kid I may have remembered that incorrectly. I also remember the first game Mike Walker returned as manager I think we beat Swindon 2-0 that day, it was a really sunny day, the atmosphere was amazing and it just seemed that everybody had this unwavering belief that he would be the savior we needed and the good times would return. Yeah shame how that turned out.I have been very unlucky in that I got my first season ticket after relegation from the premier league in the 90s, and then by the time I could afford a new one we had been up and come down again, and now I am a bloody exile so again am restricted to a few games a season. As such it is amazing the amount of our best performances I have missed. Actually perhaps I am bad luck, I should maybe stay away from Carrow Road?

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "]I can''t remember the exact season (it would have been early 90s) but I watched us beat Spurs 3-1 in the Barclay when it was still terracing. It was my one and only game before we went all seater, and though I was only 9 or 10 it was one hell of an experience. If I recall Spurs scored their consolation when we were 3-0 up and I remember our fans applauding their goal and thinking why? But being a kid I may have remembered that incorrectly.

[/quote]Just done some investigating and this game was on 22nd October 1988 (I was only 7), we won 3-1 does anybody know where I can find out who played/scored?

God that is so hard to pick, seen so many since i went for the first time as a 4 year old in 1970,

But i have to say watching the link Harry put on for the Milk Cup semi against Scum really gave me goosebumps. I will never forget Bruce''s goal, standing on the right of the River End i had a perfect view of his clear run at the corner, what a memory, what a night

Due to my rediculously poor memory, although after this post you may be like what? Norwich V Leeds 2010.Hughes (or as he was described on Canary Call "The longe haired blonde Scotsman") crossed into the box and Chrissy Martin banged in that goal in front of the River End............ IMMENSE!

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "][quote user="In Dubious Battle "]

I can''t remember the exact season (it would have been early 90s) but I watched us beat Spurs 3-1 in the Barclay when it was still terracing. It was my one and only game before we went all seater, and though I was only 9 or 10 it was one hell of an experience. If I recall Spurs scored their consolation when we were 3-0 up and I remember our fans applauding their goal and thinking why? But being a kid I may have remembered that incorrectly.

[/quote]

Just done some investigating and this game was on 22nd October 1988 (I was only 7), we won 3-1 does anybody know where I can find out who played/scored?
[/quote]

City: Gunn Culverhouse Bowen Butterworth Linighan Crook Gordon Fleck Rosario Phelan Townsend. Scorers: Rosario Fleck Linighan.

Spurs: Mimms Stevens Thomas Fenwick Fairclough Mabbutt Stewart Gascoigne Waddle Howells Allen. Scorer: Fairclough

We went on to win at Old Trafford the following week. In fact we doubled them that season. I reckon we could have won the double for want of a striker in March! At Easter we were 3 points behind Arsenal with a game in hand and in the FA Cup Semis. I still think that was our best ever team.

Hard to pick one as so many but I distinctly remember this one. I was 11 at the time. 1975/76 - 17th April. QPR need to win to win the championship. Carrow Road full of QPR fans. We won 3-2 and they finished second. We finished 10th having been promoted the previous year.

this was my 1st game! Andy Linigan scored with a towering header from a Crook corner (not sure the other goalscorers, sorry) but for some reason I remember the 1-1 draw with Southampton a few weeks later far more clearly (when Andy Townsend swallowed his tongue)..So many great games but just a few off the top of my head that will always hold a special place in my memoryHome – Villa at home in 1933 - midweek game, we beat them 1-0 (Polsten in 84th min) to go top of the league with what, 5 games left? Away - Top of the league at Portman Rd 2004Europe – Bayern Munich at CR 1993 FA Cup – games against West Ham in  1989 and Southampton 1991(followed by the shittest semi final performances you could think of, esp vs Sunderland at Hillsborough in 1992 - it still pisses me off today!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "][quote user="In Dubious Battle "]I can''t remember the exact season (it would have been early 90s) but I watched us beat Spurs 3-1 in the Barclay when it was still terracing. It was my one and only game before we went all seater, and though I was only 9 or 10 it was one hell of an experience. If I recall Spurs scored their consolation when we were 3-0 up and I remember our fans applauding their goal and thinking why? But being a kid I may have remembered that incorrectly.

[/quote]Just done some investigating and this game was on 22nd October 1988 (I was only 7), we won 3-1 does anybody know where I can find out who played/scored?[/quote]

City: Gunn Culverhouse Bowen Butterworth Linighan Crook Gordon Fleck Rosario Phelan Townsend. Scorers: Rosario Fleck Linighan.

Spurs: Mimms Stevens Thomas Fenwick Fairclough Mabbutt Stewart Gascoigne Waddle Howells Allen. Scorer: Fairclough

We went on to win at Old Trafford the following week. In fact we doubled them that season. I reckon we could have won the double for want of a striker in March! At Easter we were 3 points behind Arsenal with a game in hand and in the FA Cup Semis. I still think that was our best ever team.

[/quote]Thanks for the information really appreciate that. I have found a

program for sale on ebay for this very match, I shall be bidding for

it.

I come from a non-football family so never had a parent to take me as

such this was my one and only game till I was old enough to go by

myself. But that does look like a very impressive team glad to know I

saw Fleck play and score during his first spell even if i don''t

remember it! Also now I can say I saw Gazza play that is something I

never knew!!

Best home game: Most probably beating Man Utd 2-0, still remember McKenzie''s goal, Safri bullied Rooney off the ball, knocked it on to Huckerby who in turn knocked it to Ashton to swing in the ball and left McKenzie with still a tough finish but he slotted it home.

Iwan Robert''s last home game was pretty special and emotional too.

Best away game: similar to El Choppo I was at uni in Luton and it was a thriller, we''d lost 4-2 the season before (4-0 down at half time) and I didn''t live it down in my uni town, yet a year and a half later and we won 3-2 with a goal from Simon Lappin in the last second of the game (when we didn''t score in the last minute all the time as well!) it was a great free kick from the edge of the box

I also enjoyed Southend last season 3-0 easy winners.

Burnley away was an absolute cracker in the 03/04 title-winning season where we won 5-3. I''m sure if I was at the ''top of the league at portman road'' game that would have been up there as well!! Recently, Leeds, Charlton and then Bristol have been the stand out games for me!

A lot of great games over the years.. i haven''t seen any of the big ones; your Munichs, Milk Cups etc etc

I can''t decide between these 4:

2-0 over United

4-1 over Ipswich this season

2-0 at Ipswich in 2003 - "Top of the League at Portman Road!" :D (hopefully the same again this season!)

and the 3-1 win in the same season against Ipswich

All great games!