Sign in to follow this  
Snakepit Lass

Sackings sadden lambert!

Clubs have got to show loyalty to managers if managers show loyalty to them – you can’t have your cake and eat it.

We are very loyal to you Lambert thanks for all the work you have done for us! and i''m sure the other fans agree, but the club appreciates you too!

[quote user="Snakepit Lass"]Clubs have got to show loyalty to managers if managers show loyalty to them – you can’t have your cake and eat it.

We are very loyal to you Lambert thanks for all the work you have done for us! and i''m sure the other fans agree, but the club appreciates you too![/quote]That almost gave me a heart attack, when i read that title...

I have to agree with Lambert.

Fans and clubs are too impatient. Sir Bobby said it best "Success is like coffee, people want instant". It shows as well, it can take time for a club to become successful. Yes we have pushed on and done well but next season really would [if we get promoted] be about consolidating and surviving and anyone who expects anymore on the back of another [possible] promotion would be expecting too much. Even if we don''t get promoted (touch wood!) we couldn''t expect to be up there challenging again. Yes i think we would be but we have to remember we were only League One and the reason we are where we are is the drive and the motivation from last season.

But there are too many managers who aren''t given enough time nowadays. A lot of managers are lucky to get even a year at a club now! If they haven''t won the league within their first season they are sacked! Managers that have been in top positions even have been sacked; Ronnie Moore today, who has led Rotherham to be in the playoffs at the moment has been sacked. Irvine at Wednesday (though i know a lot of that would have been to do with new owners).

In the Championship; Boothroyd wasn''t going to work wonders and get Coventry promoted this season, even in a relatively weak league they aren''t one of the strongest, yes he had a run of poor results but the best way to get past it and push on is to rally everyone, keep together and fight.

I believe just 6 months into his Manchester United career there were reports that Ferguson''s job was on the line. 20 something years later and he is one of the best managers ever. He was given the boards backing, support, he was allowed to build. Much the same has happened at Arsenal. Yes they haven''t won anything for years now but Wenger''s job isn''t on the line just yet. He''s built a team and they''re starting to play brilliant football and look more like a winning team, but had he been anywhere else he would''ve been sacked for not winning anything for 6 years.

Don''t get me wrong, some sackings are needed and some end up being the best thing for the club - Gunn/Lambert being a noticeable one! - but most of the time for a team to grow, develop and succeed it is important to keep things the same, to build and to let the players, fans and club to gel!

I''m trying to pursue a career in football coaching and hopefully within the Football League and with so many sackings and the average time in job for managers now being around 12-18 months, it doesn''t look like it''s going to be easy!

And with all the money that is in the game and dictating it, it''s only going to get worse before it gets better!

Swings and roundabouts, though.

Yes these guys get sacked too soon, but they always get another job. You can bet your life that some desperate chairman will appoint Boothroyd before the summer is out.

The Bothroyd sacking I found bizarre. Ok they had been on a poor run because his "percentage football" tactics had been found out perhaps. But surely the board knew his philosophy and its potential weaknesses before they appointed him. So I find it baffling that he has suddenly become the wrong man for the job only 8 months down the line when he has been given little money to implement his ideas. It is surely an admission of failure by the board themselves more than anything.

I reckon the team who might come good in the next couple of years could be Derby for sticking by Nigel Clough at the moment. It took him quite a while to build something at Burton Albion but once he had stamped his mark on the club, he effectively got them all but promoted by the time he left and laid the foundations for them to hold their own in the football league.

[quote user="Lewie - Holt Our Saviour"][quote user="Snakepit Lass"]lol what you thought that lambert had been sacked?![/quote]I kind of thought it was an April fools joke just abit early..But yeah kind of ahah :P[/quote]Ah, you''ve just reminded me 1st of April is coming up. The one day to stay off this message board! The place usually turns into a Moron-fest!

Managers always do this and gather round to defend sacked colleagues. Sometimes with justification, sometimes not.

I think what people need to realise is that finding the right manager or a manager that ''fits'' with a club is something of an exact science and if you get it wrong, keeping a manager that doesn''t fit the club is just a waste of everyone''s time. Take Roy Hodgson. He''s clearly a decent manager but i think a lot of people thought when he went to Liverpool that he just wasn''t right for Liverpool. And so it proved. Some clubs are harder to find managers for than others. Newcastle is a good example. I''ll tell you right now for nothing - Alan Pardew is not the right manager for them. He''ll be gone within the year i guarantee. Managers have to fit with and buy in to the culture of the club. If they don''t and they lose the support of fans, it doesn''t matter who they are or how good they are, the club will go on looking and go on changing until they find one they think fits. It''s what we did and it''s what every club will do.

[quote user="yellow blood"]

Didn''t he get HIS job because someone was sacked? And before anyone jumps on my comment...thank God he did!

[/quote]

Yeah, but you could just as easily say, the sacked person should have never had the job.....

But managers are getting sacked far to easily. For some reason, i could be completely wrong, but managers who are given short term contracts, like Kenny Dalgleish, seem to do really well. Same for temporary managers (suppose thats what Dalgleish is, at the moment), Bryan Gunn, before he got given the job originally, won his first game 4-1 wasn''t it?