Sign in to follow this  
Devils Advocate.

Norwich born Canaries.

Prompted by a comment in the Craig Bellamy thread, I wonder how many Norwich born players have appeared for us over the years?

Danny Mills, Terry Ryder and his son Terry and um um,  anyone else ?

Chris Martin may have technically been born in Norwich. Unless there was a maternity hospital in Beccles?

I''ve also found Trevor Painter,Ron Hansell and Russell Laskey from Norwich. Expanding the search to Norfolk gives us Maurice Norman from Mulbarton, Clive Payne from Aylsham, Trevor Howard from Kings Lynn, Dave Stringer from Gt Yarmouth and Dale Gordon from Caister. There were more local lads in the early years of the club, but I doubt that people really travelled that far to be a poorly paid footballer in those days. Is the lack of Norwich born players down to lack of talent or deficencies in scouting?

Armchair follower. I think scouting isn''t an issue with local football, for a start, have you seen how much FITC do? There are loads of courses/days they do, from ages 2-16 (and possibly higher). And i would hope/assume that some of the Sunday league football is watched by NCFC in some way or another.

Nana, I think Shackell was born in Herts and Greeno in Surrey. Not been that many Norwich born players made it and Norfolk born are quite few and far between. Clive Woods, who spent the majority of his years at scum and was MOM in their FA Cup Final is a Norwich boy. He went on to play for us at the end of his professional career.

Another Norwich born player was Paul Wilson son of Tug Wilson who I went to school with. He had one appearance in the top division as substitute in the 70''s. I think it was against Newcastle. Last i heard he was managing in Norway.

Tom Adeyemi hails from Attleborough I believe. I seem to remember Glen Roeder commenting on the scarcity of local footballers when he gave Tom his first pro contract.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Armchair follower. I think scouting isn''t an issue with local football, for a start, have you seen how much FITC do? There are loads of courses/days they do, from ages 2-16 (and possibly higher). And i would hope/assume that some of the Sunday league football is watched by NCFC in some way or another.[/quote]

My son plays under 11 football in Norwich and is in the Cambridge PDC in Thetford , he has a season ticket at carrow Road , he has been on lots of holiday courses and plays for his school , I have never seen any scouts at any match he has ever played - Cambridge offered him a trial and took him on , Norwich seems a closed shop and if you know the right people you get in - look at the names Huckerby and Gunn in the squads

[quote user="Armchair Follower"]I''ve also found Trevor Painter,Ron Hansell and Russell Laskey from Norwich. Expanding the search to Norfolk gives us Maurice Norman from Mulbarton, Clive Payne from Aylsham, Trevor Howard from Kings Lynn, Dave Stringer from Gt Yarmouth and Dale Gordon from Caister. There were more local lads in the early years of the club, but I doubt that people really travelled that far to be a poorly paid footballer in those days. Is the lack of Norwich born players down to lack of talent or deficencies in scouting?[/quote]

I doubt it''s deficiencies in scouting armchair. Or poor coaching. Social scientists will probably come up with many theories but I have never seen anything that makes much sense to me.

Gary the reason there''s huckerby''s and a Gunn in the team is probably because they''re good? Gunn has played for his age at England level

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Armchair Follower"]I''ve also found Trevor Painter,Ron Hansell and Russell Laskey from Norwich. Expanding the search to Norfolk gives us Maurice Norman from Mulbarton, Clive Payne from Aylsham, Trevor Howard from Kings Lynn, Dave Stringer from Gt Yarmouth and Dale Gordon from Caister. There were more local lads in the early years of the club, but I doubt that people really travelled that far to be a poorly paid footballer in those days. Is the lack of Norwich born players down to lack of talent or deficencies in scouting?[/quote]

I doubt it''s deficiencies in scouting armchair. Or poor coaching. Social scientists will probably come up with many theories but I have never seen anything that makes much sense to me.

[/quote]

Norwich only has about 6 Development Centres that feed into the academy system , Cambridge have 16 - I appreciate that half our area is in the sea , but I suggest that the reason is that we have just worked to the theory that because we are NCFC and the main team in Norfolk , people will want to play for us , rather than the - lets go and get them approach

[quote user="Big Slob"]Gary the reason there''s huckerby''s and a Gunn in the team is probably because they''re good? Gunn has played for his age at England level[/quote]

I accept they are good players , but are they better than a lot of boys at the same age playing in local teams , I have seen them play and there are players who are just as good , who are not playing for NCFC , it certainly helps when you have the right surname

There are a few players at Cambridge who are from Norwich and Norfolk , both in and on the fringe of the first team - the thing is at Championship level there are not many players who come through from the youth ranks , even less in the Premier league - so I suspect a lot of academy players at Norwich get turned away then show up again lower down , look at Bloomfield at Wycombe for one example - we even turned down Zamora when he was younger

That''s true Gary. The influx of foreign players push those who don''t quite make it further and further down the pyramid. Bobby Zamora wasn''t born in Norfolk though. I don''t see many Norwich/Norfolk born players making it elsewhere.

Another one for your "keeping it in the family list" is Remy Gordon.

Huyton, a Liverpool suberb, has continually produced top players throughout the years yet Norwich never really has. I think I''ll just leave it to the social scientists.

[quote user="gary "][quote user="Gingerpele"]Armchair follower. I think scouting isn''t an issue with local football, for a start, have you seen how much FITC do? There are loads of courses/days they do, from ages 2-16 (and possibly higher). And i would hope/assume that some of the Sunday league football is watched by NCFC in some way or another.[/quote] My son plays under 11 football in Norwich and is in the Cambridge PDC in Thetford , he has a season ticket at carrow Road , he has been on lots of holiday courses and plays for his school , I have never seen any scouts at any match he has ever played - Cambridge offered him a trial and took him on , Norwich seems a closed shop and if you know the right people you get in - look at the names Huckerby and Gunn in the squads[/quote]

[quote user="BigFish"][quote user="gary "][quote user="Gingerpele"]Armchair follower. I think scouting isn''t an issue with local football, for a start, have you seen how much FITC do? There are loads of courses/days they do, from ages 2-16 (and possibly higher). And i would hope/assume that some of the Sunday league football is watched by NCFC in some way or another.[/quote] My son plays under 11 football in Norwich and is in the Cambridge PDC in Thetford , he has a season ticket at carrow Road , he has been on lots of holiday courses and plays for his school , I have never seen any scouts at any match he has ever played - Cambridge offered him a trial and took him on , Norwich seems a closed shop and if you know the right people you get in - look at the names Huckerby and Gunn in the squads[/quote][/quote]

Ooops and now what I meant to say.....

City''s approach to youth development seems to be to hoover up a squad of kids at 8 and then operate a one in one out system (i.e. a boy would need to be better than what they already have which will lead them to drop one out). As such your boy at 11 has already missed the boat. As a system it certainly is advantageous to be in the inner circle otherwise how else are you to be spotted at 8 before competitive football. The key feature the club looks for is athleticism with the idea that skills can be trained into the kids. The PDC doesn''t seem to add much to this as you will know by seeing the boys in it playing league football, certainly they look good but nothing special.

Anyone remember Barry Bridges, who came from Horsford? I watched him many times as he progressed throught he Norwich youth ranks. Obviously, he went on to score a lot of goals at Chelsea and eslewhere as well as winning a number of caps for England.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Anyone remember Barry Bridges, who came from Horsford? I watched him many times as he progressed throught he Norwich youth ranks. Obviously, he went on to score a lot of goals at Chelsea and eslewhere as well as winning a number of caps for England.[/quote]

Didn''t he score 90 odd goals in around 200 games for Chelsea? All before Norwich had got anywhere near the First Division.

He ran a Newsagents in West Earlham up to a couple of years ago.

Good footballer and a good man.

Maurice Norman (Mulbarton lad)

ps hang your head in shame if you don''t know