Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Mackail-Smith - what price?

£2million is certainly worth the gamble, with £1m being add ons. (probably linked to promotion/goals) So it''s fairly irrelevant sum (this season). A place in the play-offs has to be worth a substantial sum of money:2 games on sky;Full house at carrow road;Increased advertisement for playing a couple of extra games? Play-Off related bonuses;I''m sure i''ve missed a few and that''s without even kicking a ball and none of this income would have been budgeted for. Along with the £2m ring-fenced for transfers, the actual financial risk to Norwich appears to be minimal. But the rewards appear to be massive.

McNally said on twitter ''In answer to your questions, we will provide an update later today on twitter or canaries.co.uk @norwichcityfc #ncfc''

What we seem to be forgetting in all of this is how much CMS is worth to Peterborough, sure you can wheel out scoring stats that suggest he is not worth £3M, but they are on the brink of promotion to the Championship. If say Swansea where to come after Grant Holt right now, McNally would be saying to Swansea exactly what Peterborough are saying to us, the Swansea fans could wheel out stats to point to whether Grant Holt is a good enough prospect for the Premiership etc, but to us he is priceless.

Ultimately I trust McNally and co to get the best deal possible for NCFC, if that means no CMS then so be it.....

[quote user="Big Slob"]McNally said on twitter ''In answer to your questions, we will provide an update later today on twitter or canaries.co.uk @norwichcityfc #ncfc''[/quote]Terms agreed and player coming in for medical?I would doubt that they would go to the effort of posting discussions are on going....

Also if anyone''s interested, these are the highlights from P''boro''s game on tuesday. CMS got 1, and provided the pass for the other 3 goals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9427199.stm

We won''t just fold and pay the asking price, particularly as Peterborough clearly actually want to sell - which is different to Brighton''s point blank refusal.

I can imagine this going through to Thursday midweek with a few punchy tweets/press releases from McNally between now and then, I think we will get our man though. This is too big an opportunity to not take a bit of a risk on.

As Lambo said, "if we''re there or thereabouts, we''ll go for it" - everyone thought he meant in January, he obviously didn''t.

[quote user="Big Slob"]Maybe.. or We''ve decided not to persue the well known target, and will go with what we''ve got.?[/quote]Certainly an alternative... but ''update'' suggests its on going. Now if it had been a ''statement'' from McNasty that would be different [:P]I hope we can get him in before the weekend as that would mean he has a full week of training with the squad before the next match!

Only just noticed this but it isn''t just the £500k where our offer differs from their demands. It looks like there is a difference in the add ons too. This is from the story on the front page of the Pink'' Un:

“Norwich came in strong for Craig last Friday,” said MacAnthony, speaking on the United programme on Radio Peterborough. “Offering £1.5m straight up and then another £1m in add ons that were not guaranteed.

“If £2m was offered straight up today with £1m of guaranteed add ons then Craig would be allowed to go.

I would guess from that, that most, if not all of our add on offer would have been triggered on promotion, where as they would want it on appearances or goals so he could still end up costing us the full £3m if we fail to get promoted in the next couple of years.

[quote user="birchfest"][quote user="Big Slob"]Maybe.. or We''ve decided not to persue the well known target, and will go with what we''ve got.?[/quote]

Certainly an alternative... but ''update'' suggests its on going. Now if it had been a ''statement'' from McNasty that would be different [:P]

I hope we can get him in before the weekend as that would mean he has a full week of training with the squad before the next match!
[/quote]

With Big Barry Fry talking to McNally at this very moment that update could be worth waiting for.

It seems that MacAnthony was not asking for bids above £3m, which we had been led to expect. It now seems that £3m would clinch the deal, with £2m at the outset and the remaining subsequently if and when targets are met.

So it remains to be seen if Norwich can negotiate down to £2.75m, splitting the difference between the original offer and Posh''s demand for £3m. Both sides sem to want to talk, and another post mentions Brry Fry as being at CR this aftenoon.

So we wait with baited breath. From comments from fans, we seem mostly agreed that it would be worth taking the risk, with the fallback that the striker would certainly enhance our chances next year if we were to fail this season for some reason.

We might then be in buisness

[quote user="Big Slob"]Also if anyone''s interested, these are the highlights from P''boro''s game on tuesday. CMS got 1, and provided the pass for the other 3 goals. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9427199.stm

[/quote]

This is why he is the right player for us. He''s not just a goalscorer but also a provider. Just like Holt and Hoolahan are. It''s the team ethic and a more selfish striker wouldn''t fit in whatever his record.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Big Slob"]Also if anyone''s interested, these are the highlights from P''boro''s game on tuesday. CMS got 1, and provided the pass for the other 3 goals. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9427199.stm

[/quote]

This is why he is the right player for us. He''s not just a goalscorer but also a provider. Just like Holt and Hoolahan are. It''s the team ethic and a more selfish striker wouldn''t fit in whatever his record.

[/quote]

Another point against the "bring back Cody" gang. CMS has provided 8 assists this season, compared to Cody''s 3, they''re different animals. Saying that Peterborough do seem to play in a much more direct style than us and I have no idea how Gillingham set out their attacking stall.

Looking at that Sheff Wed vs Peterborough game I must admit CMS looks a vibrant player! Runs from deep, scores and provides for others. He plays with his head up and has noticeable pace. That''s a pretty desirable mix of qualities for a striker I''d say!...

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Dicky"]So Smudger, he is not worth it in your opinion. This is the same opinion that Holt is a useless fat f*cker and shouldn''t be on the pitch? Think I''ll leave it to Lambert to decide, thanks.[/quote]Oh bless, Dicky still has issues with anger management due to his inability to recognise that certain people built a team here that was destined to take us to the worst depths we had been in as a club for 50 years... [:$]£3 million is a massive gamble for Mackail-Smith and one if weighed up properly I would not expect Lambert or McNally to touch with a bargepole.

[/quote]What did I say?Seems that Lambert and McNally agree more with my opinions than you do Dicky??? [:$]A big well done to Lambo and McNally for deciding that £3 million is too much for Mackail-Smith.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Undoubtedly.   For all the reasons flogged to death on the various posts and taking account of all the negatives and pitfalls also equally flogged to death, this is the right deal for this circumstance and even at £3million, I''d want to see CMS alonside Holt with Martin, Jackson and Wilby on the bench.

For all the doubters, do you really think Lambert and especially McNally would overpay for a player that they didn''t think could do a job worthy of the fee?   There are other posts today about what great bargains Fox and Crofts were.   These are not men to waste money.

[/quote]Yes Lambo and McNally agree that £3 million is far too high an asking price for him and you were wrong weren''t you???

[quote user="Dicky"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Dicky"]So Smudger, he is not worth it in your opinion. This is the same opinion that Holt is a useless fat f*cker and shouldn''t be on the pitch? Think I''ll leave it to Lambert to decide, thanks.[/quote]Oh bless, Dicky still has issues with anger management due to his inability to recognise that certain people built a team here that was destined to take us to the worst depths we had been in as a club for 50 years... [:$]£3 million is a massive gamble for Mackail-Smith and one if weighed up properly I would not expect Lambert or McNally to touch with a bargepole.

[/quote]

Have no idea what you are going on about. Anger management? Surely that would apply to the idiot that got thrown out of the Snakepit by the stewards because he got so wound up that Holt was still on the pitch (still a very funny moment - red faced Smudger being thrown out whilst the whole of the Snakepit are pointing and chanting w@nker )[/quote]What the similar mugs like yourself that spout a load of drivel when they think that they are backed by the majority you mean?Don''t come across like the snakepit is some kind of hardcore pool of masculinity, becaause it quite clearly isn''t.  It is largely full of kids who have watched too many comic book violent movies and are about as streetwise and frightening as a primary school kid.

a high risk signing and not worth the money Pboro wanted. we will get better for cheaper in the future, personally i dont think CMS would have cut it in the premiership and we can now focus on another target.

Why is it,as many say, that it is more fanciful for QPR to be interested in Holt than it is for us to be interested in CMS?

The logic of that beats me.

Of course Holt won''t be going and it is doubtful if CMS will be coming'' but that doesn''t nullify my question.

OTBC

Because CMS is trying to improve his career by stepping up a divsion. QPR and City are in the same division and are seperated by, lets see, 1 place....

Its not more fanciful at all for QPR to be interested. What is fanciful is that we may actually consider letting Holt go. CMS and Peterborough on the other hand is a different story as they have been prepared to name a price.

I can''t see that QPR would really want Holt now and surely if they are promoted they will be spending some big bucks. This is surely just an attempt to unsettle the team hot on their heals.

OTBC

This is clearly an unsettling tactic, after all it was only in January that Warnock was calling Holt a CHEAT!!!!

I feel Holty and co wont be falling for the tactic though, so no worries there, this is the biggest nothing story of the week.

I think there are a lot of differences to be honest Bly. Firstly QPR dont actually need Holt. Dont get me wrong he is a class act but they already have Smith, Helguson, Hulse, Agyemang, Miller, Mackie (admittedly injured) at their disposal. Considering they play one of up front that is a of lot of forwards already. You cant sell someone if a club hasnt bid anything. Norwich on the other hand are definitely interested in Mackail Smith as we are not stocked in this department. I know people will say we score a lot of goals but that is partly down to the way we play. We really go for it and will concede a fair few as a result (despite having a quality back line in my opinion).

Secondly I would say the gulf between Norwich and Peterborough in terms of league position, fan base, stadium and league position is far far greater than Norwich and QPR. As a result a player is far less likely to be unhappy if Norwich knock QPR back. If and when they get promoted back to the Premiership then it could be a different story I agree. But that is for another day.

Thirdly I think as McNally has shown on twitter Holt is catergorically not for sale as we all know that would effectively kill off our promotion hopes. Yet for some reason Peterborough have decided they are willing to make Mackail Smith available. I think it would possibly end their push for promotion. But they have set an asking price and its up to a club to match it.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Bly. Are you gay?[/quote]Why does it matter? Are you cruising for a piece of his arse?You do seem to respond to his every post regardless of how pointless, it does look a bit obsessive....

I have on very good authority that we have offered Posh an extra £500,000 if we get promotion for CMS. Posh are close to signing a Man U youngster.

Know someone that works for Posh, cant say anymore but should be wrapped up by Monday.