Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Mackail-Smith - what price?

Undoubtedly.   For all the reasons flogged to death on the various posts and taking account of all the negatives and pitfalls also equally flogged to death, this is the right deal for this circumstance and even at £3million, I''d want to see CMS alonside Holt with Martin, Jackson and Wilby on the bench.

For all the doubters, do you really think Lambert and especially McNally would overpay for a player that they didn''t think could do a job worthy of the fee?   There are other posts today about what great bargains Fox and Crofts were.   These are not men to waste money.

In most circumstances I''d say no but we''re on the verge of promotion. Spending the £2m+ add ons now could be the difference between going up and not doing so and the £90m we''d receive over 5 years.

Im going to have to do a Neil Adams here and sit on the fence. 3m is a lot of money for someone, is he worth 3m in todays market is the question I guess?

Who else would we get for 3m? Sylvan Ebanks-Blake maybe? Not sure. Its always a gamble. 50m Torres hasnt scored yet but no doubt will do well next year.

Without question we need someone who will make an immediate impact or its pointless. You never know 100% if a player will fit. Billy Sharpe, superb everywhere, except big money move to Sheff Utd. Some players just dont fit in everywhere.

Not say CMS will fail, not saying he will be our best ever signing. Remember Dave "our saviour" Stiker? Darren Beckford? The list is endless.

Like I said 3m is alot, and if we dont go up..............

Personally a player I said on this forum we should have put a bid in for 2/3 years ago, when i believe he was being loaned out to Plymouth and other clubs so clearly had no future at his club {honest check the achives}.............Scott Sinclair...........I was laughed at at the time, and told no chance........................

Lambert has a good eye for players but his record with his front men leaves a bit to be desired. He has signed Johnson, Jackson, Elliott and Wilbraham so far. And I would still regard his best 2 strikers as Holt and Martin who he inherited.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]In most circumstances I''d say no but we''re on the verge of promotion. Spending the £2m+ add ons now could be the difference between going up and not doing so and the £90m we''d receive over 5 years.[/quote]y This is my view too. Market conditions determine prices with everything and this situation is no different. Because of both teams circumstances the price is higher than would otherwise be. I think we are in such a good position now we have to take the gamble and go for it. It isn''t even that big gamble, if we dont get promoted i am sure he will score many goals in the champ with us and if we do he has helped earn us 90MThis will be a done deal by the weekend i think, either at this price or slightly less upfront and more in add ons

Posh seem to be making all the running on this. Apparently Dion''s source was at Posh rather than at Norwich, and their chairman doesn''t seem to be able to stay out of the media.

Today he''s basically named the price. Are they broke?

Personally, £2M up front seems way over the top for a player of his age. At that price you''d want a sure thing. But I haven''t seen him play, so can''t really comment (although not sure that''s ever stopped anyone on here...)

[quote user="Jacko"]Lambert has a good eye for players but his record with his front men leaves a bit to be desired. He has signed Johnson, Jackson, Elliott and Wilbraham so far. And I would still regard his best 2 strikers as Holt and Martin who he inherited.[/quote]

The only player relevant out of them 4 strikers is Jackson - Was a good signing at the time, but just hasnt had a bit of luck all strikers need.

Johnson was bought cheap, whilst we were in League One and did a job!

Elliott was brought in on a short loan and again he did a job

Wilbraham was brought in to cover Holt but because Martin as been abducted by aliens and Jackson cant buy a goal, hes had to start. and in fairness hes done alright! 

Non of Johnson, Elliott or Wimbrham were brought here to be long term, first team players.

Another thing to add is that our board would have budgeted for a season of consolidation i''d imagine and would have considered the threat & consequences of relegation back to League 1. Having consolidated our position in this league I''d imagine this summer the club would have increased the playing budget anyway.

Even if we don''t go up, we''ll still obviously have a valuable asset on our books, not worth the £2m+ add ons but surely the premium we''d pay is worth the gamble.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Posh seem to be making all the running on this. Apparently Dion''s source was at Posh rather than at Norwich, and their chairman doesn''t seem to be able to stay out of the media.

Today he''s basically named the price. Are they broke?

Personally, £2M up front seems way over the top for a player of his age. At that price you''d want a sure thing. But I haven''t seen him play, so can''t really comment (although not sure that''s ever stopped anyone on here...)[/quote]Absolutely. Mr. Fry''s fingerprints all over this one."Y''know we''re flogging you Mackail Smith""Really??"Yeah. There''ll be a bit of argy-bargy about the price, but it''s a done deal, trust me (winks)"

@The Googler You say my thinking about buying CMS for not only this season but next is conceited?

Come on, think about it. What''s the point in buying a player for this season only. Then we get promoted and that player can''t cut it?? You need to forward plan, that''s what this striker search has all been about. Looking at someone who PL (and staff) feel could cut it in the Premier League.

If we signed CMS we would not be signing him just for the last eight games. That''s for sure.

Thing is I think £3million is asking a lot.

There are some good strikers in the Champ you could probably get for that much.

Not sure I am convinced right now but we shall see. Not because of the ability of the lad, just the price tag that Peterborough are looking for.

And since when has anyone offered guaranteed add ons? They are known as ''installments'' - idiots!

[quote user="Death by Chocolate Starfish"]At 3M he''s too much of a financial risk if we don''t go up.
[/quote]

It''s £2m rising to £3m only on promotion.

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Posh seem to be making all the running on this. Apparently Dion''s source was at Posh rather than at Norwich, and their chairman doesn''t seem to be able to stay out of the media. Today he''s basically named the price. Are they broke? Personally, £2M up front seems way over the top for a player of his age. At that price you''d want a sure thing. But I haven''t seen him play, so can''t really comment (although not sure that''s ever stopped anyone on here...)[/quote]

Absolutely. Mr. Fry''s fingerprints all over this one.

"Y''know we''re flogging you Mackail Smith"

"Really??"

Yeah. There''ll be a bit of argy-bargy about the price, but it''s a done deal, trust me (winks)"

[/quote]

I pointed this out a couple of days ago.  The key point which slipped by on here was that Dion said that Peterborough had a couple of replacements lined up..  Norwich would not know that nor care.  The leak had to come from Peterborough

I''ve been thinking about the situation and here are the questions I came up with and the answers which led to me thinking that we should take a gamble on the £3,000,000 price tag..

Q.1. Say we don''t go out and meet P''boro''s estimation of Mackail-Smith now, will we want to go back and sign him in the summer?

A. I think we probably would, if not someone of the same ilk and therefore pricetag.

Q.2. Will CMS''s pricetag be hugely different in the summer?

A. I can see him being slightly less expensive, but with a year left to run on his contract I can only see a reduction of around £500,000

Q.3. If we gamble on CMS, will our squad be stronger this year AS WELL as next year in the worst case scenario that we are not promotion?

A. Undoubtably, with CMS in the squad next year, should we not get promoted, will will have a striker fully aquanted with the rest of the squad ready for the start of a season and no need for reinforcemnts upfront during the break. PLUS we will have hime for the run in this season.

Q.3. Do we need the money to strengthen the current squad should we be promoted?

A. Not to the extent that we couldn''t reley on player sales to fund transfers. Selling players such as Jackson (if CMS signs) or McNamee would fund a possible cover at right back for R.Martin, which is the only other cover I can see that we need for another year in the championship.

Q.4 Does CMS WANT to play for us?

A. Clearly that answer is yes, in the summer his attentions may be deflected elsewhere should he continue as he has this season.

To summerise, The amount that we would save by signing CMS now as opposed to the in the summer, added to his desire to join US now and the almost perfect squad to fight another championship season already in place is far outweighed. The benefit of having a potent, in form striker partnering Holt for our remaining games and potentially firing ourselves back into the Premiership has to be worth that small risk, after all, wasn''t it a 3 year plan anyway?!

OTBC!

Don''t ask me how I know, but I do....

The player himself is desperate to come to Norwich. Apart from all the footballing reasons;, we''re on the brink of the Premiership, we have excellent facilities and a brilliant management team etc.

There are two other reasons: there is some doubt as to whether he could cut it in the Prem, but his personal advisers recognise the coaching ethos at Norwich to be one of his best chances in making the step up.

Secondly, coming to Norwich means that he doesn''t have to move house and I believe there are ''family'' connections to the management at Peterborough FC.

We offered £2.7 million and I believe that £3m to £3.2m would make it a done deal.

Personally, I say lets get on with it so that he can be utilised for at least 8 games if not 9.

Celtic are the other big chasers but the player would not want to move home etc...

We are in pole position!!

I think your Q3 is a massive part of all this and i was going to post about this myself. The point being that he bolsters our promotion bid now but also gives us a massive head start on strengthening for next season in the Chamionship if that''s were we are going to be. It gets one over on the other teams who are looking at him with a view to their next campaign in the Champ.The biggest question mark over the whole thing is whether or not he is a good signing for the premiership. But if we''re IN the premiership next season, WHO GIVES A F*** ANYWAY!! WAHEY!

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Posh seem to be making all the running on this. Apparently Dion''s source was at Posh rather than at Norwich, and their chairman doesn''t seem to be able to stay out of the media. Today he''s basically named the price. Are they broke? Personally, £2M up front seems way over the top for a player of his age. At that price you''d want a sure thing. But I haven''t seen him play, so can''t really comment (although not sure that''s ever stopped anyone on here...)[/quote]Absolutely. Mr. Fry''s fingerprints all over this one."Y''know we''re flogging you Mackail Smith""Really??"Yeah. There''ll be a bit of argy-bargy about the price, but it''s a done deal, trust me (winks)"[/quote]

I pointed this out a couple of days ago.  The key point which slipped by on here was that Dion said that Peterborough had a couple of replacements lined up..  Norwich would not know that nor care.  The leak had to come from Peterborough

[/quote]I suspect we all thought Fat Barry was the prime mover in all this:http://services.pinkun.com/FORUMS/PINKUN/CS/forums/2440563/ShowPost.aspx

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Dicky"]So Smudger, he is not worth it in your opinion. This is the same opinion that Holt is a useless fat f*cker and shouldn''t be on the pitch? Think I''ll leave it to Lambert to decide, thanks.[/quote]Oh bless, Dicky still has issues with anger management due to his inability to recognise that certain people built a team here that was destined to take us to the worst depths we had been in as a club for 50 years... [:$]£3 million is a massive gamble for Mackail-Smith and one if weighed up properly I would not expect Lambert or McNally to touch with a bargepole.

[/quote]

Have no idea what you are going on about. Anger management? Surely that would apply to the idiot that got thrown out of the Snakepit by the stewards because he got so wound up that Holt was still on the pitch (still a very funny moment - red faced Smudger being thrown out whilst the whole of the Snakepit are pointing and chanting w@nker )

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Posh seem to be making all the running on this. Apparently Dion''s source was at Posh rather than at Norwich, and their chairman doesn''t seem to be able to stay out of the media. Today he''s basically named the price. Are they broke? Personally, £2M up front seems way over the top for a player of his age. At that price you''d want a sure thing. But I haven''t seen him play, so can''t really comment (although not sure that''s ever stopped anyone on here...)[/quote]

Absolutely. Mr. Fry''s fingerprints all over this one.

"Y''know we''re flogging you Mackail Smith"

"Really??"

Yeah. There''ll be a bit of argy-bargy about the price, but it''s a done deal, trust me (winks)"

[/quote]

[/quote]

I suspect we all thought Fat Barry was the prime mover in all this:

http://services.pinkun.com/FORUMS/PINKUN/CS/forums/2440563/ShowPost.aspx

[/quote]

There were a lot of posters on here earlier this week upbraiding Dion for having dropped City in it by prematurely leaking confidential information that he must have got from City as he is a former player here notwithstanding the fact that no one from his era apart from a couple of players still works for the Club.  One poster even suggested that he got the job on LKO as a represenative of the Club and therefore had a duty to City.

SIGN HIM UP!

Exactly what we need in our attack, he''ll pay for himself because the lad will score the goals that get us promoted.

[quote user="a1canary"]I think your Q3 is a massive part of all this and i was going to post about this myself. The point being that he bolsters our promotion bid now but also gives us a massive head start on strengthening for next season in the Chamionship if that''s were we are going to be. It gets one over on the other teams who are looking at him with a view to their next campaign in the Champ.The biggest question mark over the whole thing is whether or not he is a good signing for the premiership. But if we''re IN the premiership next season, WHO GIVES A F*** ANYWAY!! WAHEY![/quote]

Bang on A1 :-D

If norwich offered the 1.5m plus 1m add ons, would city push another 500k to seal the deal ? i can''t see why not, if lambert really wants him they should push for it, at least they have put a set price for him no guessing

if we were just outside the play offs, i''d say 3 mil was too much, but as we are 2nd and 3 points clear it must be worth taking a gamble, we may never be this close again

[quote user="a1canary"]I think your Q3 is a massive part of all this and i was going to post about this myself.

The point being that he bolsters our promotion bid now but also gives us a massive head start on strengthening for next season in the Chamionship if that''s were we are going to be. It gets one over on the other teams who are looking at him with a view to their next campaign in the Champ.

The biggest question mark over the whole thing is whether or not he is a good signing for the premiership. But if we''re IN the premiership next season, WHO GIVES A F*** ANYWAY!! WAHEY!
[/quote]

lol love it..Wahey!!

Oh my god!

How many more repetitive threads are you going to start?

This forum is getting killed by duplicate threads!

do you not this this is been discussed in the of the various threads about CMS?