Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Mackail-Smith - what price?

[quote user="Smudger"]There is no way that I would be paying £3 million for him.  He is overpriced at that in my opinion.I notice that there was a thread on here about Nicky Maynard earlier this week.  He is another player who I said that we should''ve gone for years ago, when the majority of people were saying that Luke Varney was the better of the two strikers playing at Crewe.  I would have gone for Maynard way back then when he would have been available for probably £500k.  I would still be interested in us looking at Maynard, rather than Mackail-Smith now if we are talking the kind of money that Peterborough are looking for (£3 million plus).Better player, better strike rate, more pace and 3 years younger to boot.[/quote]BBC gossip column last week had both Everton and Liverpool set for summer bids for Maynard .

[quote user="zemas tendon"]There are better strikers out there in the 3million bracket, who we could bring to Carrow Rd!![/quote]There areAnd don''t call me Shirley.

Name them then. And I''ll happily tell you why we probably won''t be able to/can''t sign them.

To get you started.

Shane Long - no chance. Teams like Liverpool have reportedly shown an interest, and Reading won''t let him go to a ''promotion rival.'' He''ll also be very highly-paid I''d imagine, probably more than most (if not all) of our squad.

Danny Graham - no chance. Premiership teams are chasing him, and again, Watford won''t sell to a ''promotion rival.''

Nicky Maynard - no chance. Bristol City will want £5million minimum.

Ched Evans - unlikely. Probably on big money, and what makes him any better than CMS? People are saying CMS is unproven at the Championship, yet scored more goals for P''borough in this league than Evans has done for an equally dire Sheffield United team.

After that, and the fact the over-sea''s loan window is closed, there aren''t nearly as many options as people make out.

CMS would be a decent signing, and worth the gamble in my opinion.

how about:

Will Hoskins - Bristol Rovers

Steve Morison - Millwall

Marvin Sordell - Watford

reckon we could have any of them well under 3m, maybe 2 of them

[quote user="Mahogany"]how about: Will Hoskins - Bristol Rovers Steve Morison - Millwall Marvin Sordell - Watford reckon we could have any of them well under 3m, maybe 2 of them[/quote]

You really think we could get Morison at this time of the year for half of 3m "quoted" (we wouldn''t be paying all that in one go anyway)??

Get everyone get a grip with these alternatives and realise, with only 1 week of the loan window left, we have no choice but to pay over premium prices, and also other Championship clubs with a chance at the playoffs (Reading, Millwall & Watford) will NOT be selling their strikers now.

Peterborough know full well that CMS wants to leave and this is their opportunity to get the best deal, even if 2 or 3 clubs are interested in him in the summer they will be lucky to get as much offered for a player with only 12 months contract left.  Any deal will be based on initial fee plus extras for promotion, etc.  So even then we wont be paying anything near 3 million up front.

So Smudger, he is not worth it in your opinion. This is the same opinion that Holt is a useless fat f*cker and shouldn''t be on the pitch? Think I''ll leave it to Lambert to decide, thanks.

Hoskins is the only realistic name out of the three mentioned (I actually wanted us to pick him up on a free over the summer), but can''t see us going for him now.

Sounding a little bit naive but, couldn''t we bring in Iwelumo on a loan as him and the Burnley manager have fallen out? He has a decent goalscoring record and would be available cheaply to take him on loan possibly with Burnley paying some of his wages as well. In my opinion this would be much more of a realistic (and cost effective) option.

Michael Bailey posted on twitter our original offer of £1.5m plus £1m add ons was rejected however McAntony has said they will accept £2mil plus £1m add ons. If lambert/Mcnally think he''s worth £2.5, and have already bid that, then surely an extra 500k is a must.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Name them then. And I''ll happily tell you why we probably won''t be able to/can''t sign them.

To get you started.

Shane Long - no chance. Teams like Liverpool have reportedly shown an interest, and Reading won''t let him go to a ''promotion rival.'' He''ll also be very highly-paid I''d imagine, probably more than most (if not all) of our squad.

Danny Graham - no chance. Premiership teams are chasing him, and again, Watford won''t sell to a ''promotion rival.''

Nicky Maynard - no chance. Bristol City will want £5million minimum.

Ched Evans - unlikely. Probably on big money, and what makes him any better than CMS? People are saying CMS is unproven at the Championship, yet scored more goals for P''borough in this league than Evans has done for an equally dire Sheffield United team.

After that, and the fact the over-sea''s loan window is closed, there aren''t nearly as many options as people make out.

CMS would be a decent signing, and worth the gamble in my opinion.[/quote]So all of the players you mention above would rather sign for one of the Scouse teams and more than likely warm the bench than spearhead an exciting new managers attack in the Premiership?I think you are viewing what a team can afford and what they can offer a player in terms of personal satisfaction in a very one dimensional way.Bristol City will be unlikely to get £5 million for Maynard as he will have less than a year to run on his contract.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Hoskins is the only realistic name out of the three mentioned (I actually wanted us to pick him up on a free over the summer), but can''t see us going for him now.[/quote]Another player I was interested in us looking at when we were at the bottom end of this league under Grant and Roeder.  I do not think that he would be an improvement on anything that we currently have here at the moment though.

[quote user="Dicky"]So Smudger, he is not worth it in your opinion. This is the same opinion that Holt is a useless fat f*cker and shouldn''t be on the pitch? Think I''ll leave it to Lambert to decide, thanks.[/quote]Oh bless, Dicky still has issues with anger management due to his inability to recognise that certain people built a team here that was destined to take us to the worst depths we had been in as a club for 50 years... [:$]£3 million is a massive gamble for Mackail-Smith and one if weighed up properly I would not expect Lambert or McNally to touch with a bargepole.

Indeed. I think even at the start of the season, he could have been a useful addition (Hoskins), but now we''re aiming higher.

Unfortunately for Hoskins, despite being a decent player, he seems set to have a fair few injury problems. He''d be a good replacement for CMS by P''borough ironically though!

Smudger, £3m is not a massive gamble if a large chunk of it is only payable on promotion as i believe is the case. We won`t be paying over £1.5m if we fail to go up.

Grant Holt is a quality big man at this level. 16 goals is fourth in the championship top scorer charts!

As for this chap from Peterborough, 3 million for a 27 year old league one player with a goal scoring record not much better than Chris Martin''s last season. League one can make some very average players look like world beaters. Seems a tad steep to me.

But, I haven''t seen him play, he could be great!

Would have been a good addition earlier in the season but being held to ransom at this stage is silly, no way is he worth 3 Million. For three million we need to be getting someone in who had the potential to play Premier League football. At 27 and having spent his career in the Lower Leagues, CMS is not the answer.

CMS to Norwich for £3m. Yes or No?

If we signed him by the time he got here we would hopefully only have eight games left in this league. So he would be a signing for the Premiership, effectively.

My thinking is, we should pay it. I think he can score goals at Championship level, no problem. I think he would also do a good job beside Holt, with Hoolahan behind, in the Premiership.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]CMS to Norwich for £3m. Yes or No?

If we signed him by the time he got here we would hopefully only have eight games left in this league. So he would be a signing for the Premiership, effectively.

My thinking is, we should pay it. I think he can score goals at Championship level, no problem. I think he would also do a good job beside Holt, with Hoolahan behind, in the Premiership.[/quote]This sort of thinking is extremely conceited. We''ve got 9 games left before we can think about the Premiership. Let''s not kid ourselves; we should only sign CMS if we need him for this season.

[quote user="Hog"]Would have been a good addition earlier in the season but being held to ransom at this stage is silly, no way is he worth 3 Million. For three million we need to be getting someone in who had the potential to play Premier League football. At 27 and having spent his career in the Lower Leagues, CMS is not the answer.[/quote]

Spoy on I made this point in the other thread, we should not be forced into paying any ransom and move on

If we have already offered 1.5m and its only going to take another 500k to seal it then I think we will probably do it.

Time will tell whether it''s good business or not though.

I''d say yes.

Definately think now is the time to go for it and gamble, but agree, would rather have a go for Ched Evans who is younger and always appears hungry to do well. Either way, we must do something, because if Grant Holt gets injured, we are stuffed and can kiss goodbye to automatic promotion

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="Hog"]Would have been a good addition earlier in the season but being held to ransom at this stage is silly, no way is he worth 3 Million. For three million we need to be getting someone in who had the potential to play Premier League football. At 27 and having spent his career in the Lower Leagues, CMS is not the answer.[/quote]

Spoy on I made this point in the other thread, we should not be forced into paying any ransom and move on

[/quote]

meant spot on, this laptop can''t spell

For the sake of 500k its a yes from me.

If we don''t make it, we will have to quality strikers at this level for next year.