Sign in to follow this  
The Great Drinkell

Which player has proved you wrong

It''s fair to say that when John Ruddy joined us I was working in St Ives and was told he was an excellent keeper. Having watched him a couple of times in the warm up and during the Watford game, I commented that he didn''t have a clue and technically was very poor. [:$]

I am delighted to come on here and declare that I was wrong John Ruddy has proved me wrong and now -imo- is probably one of the best in the league and certainly one of the reasons we are where we are.[Y]

Which player past or present has proved you wrong?

for me, this season''s player who has proved me wrong is Wilbraham, does a lot more than people give him credit for, works hard, wins lots of knock ons and holds up the ball very well

I think Iwan is the most obvious one for me - looked leaden-footed and generally hopeless in his first season, before going on to be an absolute legend. I think a lot of people on here will also remember complaining bitterly about signing ''washed-up old has-been'' Dion Dublin... [;)]Of the current squad, Russell Martin has astounded me with his progress this season. Thought he looked a weak link in League One at times this season, but is now a genuine contender for the Barry Butler.

[quote user="Coelho"]I think Iwan is the most obvious one for me - looked leaden-footed and generally hopeless in his first season, before going on to be an absolute legend. I think a lot of people on here will also remember complaining bitterly about signing ''washed-up old has-been'' Dion Dublin... [;)]Of the current squad, Russell Martin has astounded me with his progress this season. Thought he looked a weak link in League One at times last season, but is now a genuine contender for the Barry Butler.[/quote]Edit button plz.

When i first saw his gangly frame i was worried about Crouch.He didn''t look like he would have any skill.

Have to admit,and gladly,that Holt has proved me wrong.I wasn''t sure if he would crack the Champs but he sure has.

Ruddy has turned into a diamond as well[Y]

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Mark Fotheringham...hated, then captain, then left. But he was as good as anyone for a season![/quote]As good as anyone who was also sh*t, yes.

In a good way? Russell Martin who looked (I thought) very pedestrian in League One.In a bad way? I thought Julien Brellier was going to strike fear into the hearts of opposing midfielders.

ny years ago kevin Bond , got inthe team coz he was the managers son and was total rubbish but ended up being pretty good at the end and we got good money when he went i seem to remember

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Mark Fotheringham...hated, then captain, then left. But he was as good as anyone for a season![/quote]He was gash, the only player I have verbally abused as he left the pitch.

Of the current buncha a fair few if I''m honest. I didn''t think that Crofts, Martin and Fox would do anything great. How wrong I was and how glad I am.

Just shows that we should never judge any of the signings that he makes as he does seem to have an eye for buying players that work well with him.

[quote user="alysha"]for me, this season''s player who has proved me wrong is Wilbraham, does a lot more than people give him credit for, works hard, wins lots of knock ons and holds up the ball very well[/quote]Absolutely.  Shame that some people are a bit too stupid to see it though.

dare i say it Grant Holt. when he first signed i expected an over weight plodder who would have been gone by the january....shows what i know eh!

I thought Chris Martin was decent, i was proved totally wrong this season

wait for it............ lol

I''m gonna go for Fox. Don''t get me wrong when I first saw him I thought he was a neat player with a very good passing range, but didn''t see him holding down a place. But he has been absolutely fantastic this season, brilliant midfielder!

[quote user="canarywales"]ny years ago kevin Bond , got inthe team coz he was the managers son and was total rubbish but ended up being pretty good at the end and we got good money when he went i seem to remember[/quote]

Scored some cracking own goals as well !

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Mark Fotheringham...hated, then captain, then left. But he was as good as anyone for a season![/quote]Rubbish.... Mark Fotheringham is a prick always has been always will be....

Thomas Helveg was dissappointing for me and i thought he was gonna be a great signing and also i was not sure about Dion but was delighted to be proven wrong about him not only a brillient player but a natural leader. 

Whitbread - came here as a injury prone, journeyman and after the first few months looked like he was likely to continue his reputation however, in the last few weeks he has become massively important to the team.

Looks like a real player and I dont think he would look out of place in the PL.

Going back a few years I thought Byran Gunn was very poor in his first few games. I was calling for Graham Benstead to be given another chance in goal! Recently Michael Nelson proved me wrong, after a shaky start, he was a rock last season, and even this season in most games after the opener against Watford.

Darren Kenton: I remember him being substituted 20 minutes into home game he was having such a nightmare. Within a few weeks The Barclay were singing "You''ll never beat the Kenton."

This season - Grant Holt and Chris Martin have both proven me wrong as I bet a tenner that Chris Martin would outscore Grant Holt at this level.

In the past - Initially felt we would have more joy if we signed Crouch on a permanent over Hucks. Can''t tell how that would have worked out but I''m pretty pleased with Hucks ;-)

Thought Tom Adeyemi would be playing in the first team ahead of Korey Smith last season.

Michael Nelson.

I thought he was terrible after a couple of games, and looked out of his depth.

How wrong was I. Turned out to be a rock at the back and chipped in with a few decent goals.

For me has to be one of my hero''s now, "Jerry Goss" as he was average joe for a long time but came good in the latter part of his career & put in some terrfic performances & scored some world class goals!!!!

This season I would have to say Russell Martin really didnt think he would cut in the Champ...but glad to say he has proved me wrong!!

Reading through this thread has made me realise just how much trust we have gained in our manager, and rightly so! Alot of the players that are mentioned in the thread were Lambert signings who not many people gave a chance/hope of putting us where we are today.

Just strikes me (yet again) just how lucky we are at the moment and how far we have come since McNally and Lamberts team came into place.

Nice one OP for posing the question by the way, interesting responses too.

Definitely Russell Martin. He looked so afraid of the ball away at Leyton Orient last season that I didn''t think he would be up to much in the championship.

I''m really pleased he has gone on to have played every game so far this season and hasn''t let us down!

I never doubt Lambert''s decision''s on players even McNamee who has had a part to play this season e.g Burnley at home.