Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Last Chance for Martin?

A couple of years ago he got an ASBO after problems in Suffolk. Youth was on his side and he was put out on loan to Luton. He got his head down and came back to Norwich and made a valuable contribution to our promotion last season.

This season has been bad for him to date. His form has been indifferent and supporters seem to be more split on his merits that any other player currently at the club.

Yesterday he got fined £2000 for an assault that he had initially denied.

Hopefully he will put this behind him, get his head down and start performing. If he doesnt start producing soon or gets into trouble again then i think it will signal the end of him at Norwich. As it is i think he will be well down the pecking order next season as we will have probably brought in someone else and MacDonald will have returned and deserve another go

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]A couple of years ago he got an ASBO after problems in Suffolk. Youth was on his side and he was put out on loan to Luton. He got his head down and came back to Norwich and made a valuable contribution to our promotion last season. This season has been bad for him to date. His form has been indifferent and supporters seem to be more split on his merits that any other player currently at the club. Yesterday he got fined £2000 for an assault that he had initially denied. Hopefully he will put this behind him, get his head down and start performing. If he doesnt start producing soon or gets into trouble again then i think it will signal the end of him at Norwich. As it is i think he will be well down the pecking order next season as we will have probably brought in someone else and MacDonald will have returned and deserve another go[/quote]

First of all Chris was not involved in the incident 2 years ago which lead his Brother to sampeling Prison food, He just happened to be walking home from the InnGate pub in Beccles when his brother came to blows with a lorry driver, all Chris did was to pull bis brother away, 

This recent bit is nothing like assault the guy was pestering him Spillane and Drury all night Chris mearely pushed him away, the idiot made more of it and fell over and scratched his elbow and bumped his head on the floor,my son-in-law saw the whole thing, this pratt saw compensation looming and an Oscar to boot   

Unlike many managers, Paul Lambert has rewarded him with a good run in the team and shown patience. He has clearly shown he has ability and the team lies in a very handsome place with him being part of it.A successful team is like a machine and very often small cogs play a vital part. I reckon City should persist with him as a return of confidence could make all the difference and get him back on form.As for the aggro element... Craig Bellamy has been a little toerag all his career and as has been said, there are some right little knobs out there looking to wind up a ''celebrity'' player (especially a City player in potential hostile territory).... so unless he rodgers a Suffolk farmer''s carthorse in broad daylight I say stick with him until May.... and if the horse was willing, then simply admire his ambition.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]Unlike many managers, Paul Lambert has rewarded him with a good run in the team and shown patience. He has clearly shown he has ability and the team lies in a very handsome place with him being part of it.

A successful team is like a machine and very often small cogs play a vital part. I reckon City should persist with him as a return of confidence could make all the difference and get him back on form.

As for the aggro element... Craig Bellamy has been a little toerag all his career and as has been said, there are some right little knobs out there looking to wind up a ''celebrity'' player (especially a City player in potential hostile territory).... so unless he rodgers a Suffolk farmer''s carthorse in broad daylight I say stick with him until May.... and if the horse was willing, then simply admire his ambition.

[/quote]

Two sensible posts in one day. You are losing your touch.

i can only comment on chris Martin the player, and the chris Martin i see on the pitch. half the time he runs himself ragged for the cause. other times he looks like he wishes he was somewhere else.attitude is a big part of it and when Chris can be bothered he is good enough for the premiership.. sadly we have seen the not bothered chris too often this season.

Chris Martin  as a person is /was no different from many  many hot-headed youngsters who were perhaps not the brightest at school. He likes a drink and gets into scrapes.

The BIG difference is the circumstances he finds himself in. As a local boy who plays for the local team he is bound to be targetted when having a night out by similar school achievers who also have a drink inside the. He will come across two types in these situations. The majority will be respectful and over-friendly. A few will be jealous and troublesome.

I have no particular liking for over-paid Prem. players who ccontinually embrace the big city night club scene, flashing their fame and money. However, most of the scrapes they continually get into are caused by the same type who look for conflict with Chris Martin.

Martin  is now married with a child, he will mature and organise his social life better. He will become a better footballer as a result.

I for one do not envy him having  had to grow up as a "celebrity" in the parochial, small-minded world that inner-Norfolk can be.

Am getting a little tired of the anti-Chris Martin brigade ... quite what he does off the pitch is wholly irrelevant and what''s really important is what he does on it.

I couldn''t give a stuff if he lives the life of an angel or a hell''s angel, but if he starts scoring again that''s all that matters IMHO.

Give me 11 ''herberts'' any day, rather than 11 saints who can''t win a game!

OTBC

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Chris Martin has more than played his part in our success this season, perhaps he''s not got the goals and should have had a few more but his overall play on the whole hasn''t been poor at all.[/quote]

I think we will see an improvement from him now, this court case looming can''t have been a  help for him, if he plays Tuesday I can see him getting a goal or two.