Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Remaining Away Games look Daunting

Ith the exception of Barnsley [ who are pretty good at home] are remaining away fixtures Portsmouth, Ipswich, Swansea, Leicester and Hull look pretty daunting to me.

Our away form has been great and we know there is great resilience in the side but i wouldnt be surprised if we only got half a dozen points from all of the above games,

On paper with the exception of Forrest the home games of Preston, Doncaster,Scunthorpe, Bristol City and Derby look far less testing. we would hope to get a dozen or so ponts from these,

This to me points to a battle still to hold on to a playoff spot and automatic perhaps a bridge too far this season

They do look daunting on paper Yorshire Canary but this is Paul Lambert''s Norwich City you are talking about and we play better away from home so theres nothing to worry about.

We won''t be going up this season... and for me that is good news.The likes of Cardiff, QPR, Leeds,Swansea et al having been readying themselves for promotion for several seasons now... and we just aren''t there yet.Be content with two splendid seasons under Paul Lambert.... with the promise of more to come. If we go up this season and do badly, Paul Lambert will be gone quickly only to be replaced by some big spending Premier League war dog to help preserve the Premier League gravy train.At the moment it''s all about fun and football... whereas promotion will be purely about money. A rash of poor signings and over inflated wages could swiftly wreck what is being built... so be careful what you wish for. Smith and Co. were incredibly lucky to have Paul Lambert dig them out of a hole... and the players on the pitch which he found are giving the fans a great time.Too much too soon... and there won''t be another Paul Lambert to salvage the ''saviour''s'' wreckage next time.

We seem to play well and get some sort of result against the better sides.

Yesterday at Leeds was an example that I fancy being repeated a few times.

So Leeds have been building themselves up for promotion for the Prem whilst they were in the Championship? Get real cluck you idiot. It doesn''t matter if we are ready or not (even if I think we are), it''s all about money. Going up has the potential of wiping all of our debt out. So you wouldn''t want us to get promoted to help us financially? Jesus wept.

We are solid away from home as our performances at QPR, Cardiff, Leeds and Forest have shown -

If we can do well at those places then we should be wary but have nothing to fear for the coming games

and with 25pts away from home only QPR are better.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]We won''t be going up this season... and for me that is good news.The likes of Cardiff, QPR, Leeds,Swansea et al having been readying themselves for promotion for several seasons now... and we just aren''t there yet.Be content with two splendid seasons under Paul Lambert.... with the promise of more to come. If we go up this season and do badly, Paul Lambert will be gone quickly only to be replaced by some big spending Premier League war dog to help preserve the Premier League gravy train.At the moment it''s all about fun and football... whereas promotion will be purely about money. A rash of poor signings and over inflated wages could swiftly wreck what is being built... so be careful what you wish for. Smith and Co. were incredibly lucky to have Paul Lambert dig them out of a hole... and the players on the pitch which he found are giving the fans a great time.Too much too soon... and there won''t be another Paul Lambert to salvage the ''saviour''s'' wreckage next time.[/quote]Oh dear, and I thought the "Little Old Norwich" attitude was a thing of the past...

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]So Leeds have been building themselves up for promotion for the Prem whilst they were in the Championship? Get real cluck you idiot. It doesn''t matter if we are ready or not (even if I think we are), it''s all about money. Going up has the potential of wiping all of our debt out. So you wouldn''t want us to get promoted to help us financially? Jesus wept.[/quote]La la land is alive and well.....Wiping out debt? It will actually mean more debt just to tread water and with Smith still at the helm it would be an absolute disaster.Take a look at Portsmouth. 

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="SnakepitCanary"]So Leeds have been building themselves up for promotion for the Prem whilst they were in the Championship? Get real cluck you idiot. It doesn''t matter if we are ready or not (even if I think we are), it''s all about money. Going up has the potential of wiping all of our debt out. So you wouldn''t want us to get promoted to help us financially? Jesus wept.[/quote]

La la land is alive and well.....

Wiping out debt? It will actually mean more debt just to tread water and with Smith still at the helm it would be an absolute disaster.

Take a look at Portsmouth. 

[/quote]

Portsmouth had four owners in a season and a CEO who paid himself £1 million in a year so to draw a comparison with them is ridiculous.You could use WBA who are balancing the books as an example but then it does not suit your warped view of Norwich City.

Standby for the sarcastic Plod remarks as similar to Bly or the late Camuldonum.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Ith the exception of Barnsley [ who are pretty good at home] are remaining away fixtures Portsmouth, Ipswich, Swansea, Leicester and Hull look pretty daunting to me. Our away form has been great and we know there is great resilience in the side but i wouldnt be surprised if we only got half a dozen points from all of the above games, On paper with the exception of Forrest the home games of Preston, Doncaster,Scunthorpe, Bristol City and Derby look far less testing. we would hope to get a dozen or so ponts from these, This to me points to a battle still to hold on to a playoff spot and automatic perhaps a bridge too far this season[/quote]

Pompey beat us at home

Ipswich seem to be turning

Swansea deserved to beat us at home

Leicester unbeated at home under sven

Hull beat us at home

7 points [y]

Away Games

Barnsley

Leicester

Hull

Swansea

Watford

Ipswich

Portsmouth

7 games.. i think we can easily get 15 points from 21 if not more. I''ve gone for draws at Leicester, Portsmouth and Watford and wins elsewhere. Leicester, Swansea and Watford obviously pushing for top 6 or above, but i think we can beat Swansea, with the other two maybe needing a bit of luck to beat. Barnsley aren''t a great side but grind out results so will be tough but should still beat them. Same with Hull. Ipswich are Ipswich, it''ll be like any derby game, form won''t count and it will go to who wants it most on the day.

Home games

Doncaster

Preston

Bristol

Scunthorpe

Forest

Derby

Coventry

7 games.. really need to be looking at 16 points at least. Forest obviously being the potential banana skin. However, the others wont be easy. Preston, Scunthorpe and Bristol are near the bottom and will be fighting for their lives but Scunny and Preston may already be down by then, and may have given up. Doncaster were a tough side earlier on in the year but have a lot of players out and tbh Ipswich beat them 6-0 so we should beat them! Derby and Coventry aren''t going to be pushing for too much but won''t give up easy.

I think we can get around 31 points from 42 which would give us 86 points.. would be surprised not to finish top 2 with that tbh

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="SnakepitCanary"]So Leeds have been building themselves up for promotion for the Prem whilst they were in the Championship? Get real cluck you idiot. It doesn''t matter if we are ready or not (even if I think we are), it''s all about money. Going up has the potential of wiping all of our debt out. So you wouldn''t want us to get promoted to help us financially? Jesus wept.[/quote]La la land is alive and well.....Wiping out debt? It will actually mean more debt just to tread water and with Smith still at the helm it would be an absolute disaster.Take a look at Portsmouth.  [/quote]

Portsmouth had four owners in a season and a CEO who paid himself £1 million in a year so to draw a comparison with them is ridiculous.You could use WBA who are balancing the books as an example but then it does not suit your warped view of Norwich City.

Standby for the sarcastic Plod remarks as similar to Bly or the late Camuldonum.

[/quote]You don''t warrant sarcasm ex-Plod.We''ve seen what your mentality consists of via the NCISA and the control freakery you revel in.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]We won''t be going up this season... and for me that is good news.The likes of Cardiff, QPR, Leeds,Swansea et al having been readying themselves for promotion for several seasons now... and we just aren''t there yet.Be content with two splendid seasons under Paul Lambert.... with the promise of more to come. If we go up this season and do badly, Paul Lambert will be gone quickly only to be replaced by some big spending Premier League war dog to help preserve the Premier League gravy train.At the moment it''s all about fun and football... whereas promotion will be purely about money. A rash of poor signings and over inflated wages could swiftly wreck what is being built... so be careful what you wish for. Smith and Co. were incredibly lucky to have Paul Lambert dig them out of a hole... and the players on the pitch which he found are giving the fans a great time.Too much too soon... and there won''t be another Paul Lambert to salvage the ''saviour''s'' wreckage next time.[/quote]Oh dear, and I thought the "Little Old Norwich" attitude was a thing of the past...[/quote]Across a table I would be certain Paul Lambert would concur with my ambitions rather than your naive foolhardiness.You display a little mind with equally litttle awareness of what sustainable ambition actually involves.

I would be delighted but surprised if we managed to get up to 86 points. At the moment our average points per game would give us 79 which would be comfortable top 6 for the play offs. last season Blackpool sneaked into 6th spot with 70 pts i think it will be a lot higher this year probably around the 75 mark. Difficult to say about the top 2 positions, top is normally well ahead with 2nd in mid to high 80s

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="I.S."][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]We won''t be going up this season... and for me that is good news.The likes of Cardiff, QPR, Leeds,Swansea et al having been readying themselves for promotion for several seasons now... and we just aren''t there yet.Be content with two splendid seasons under Paul Lambert.... with the promise of more to come. If we go up this season and do badly, Paul Lambert will be gone quickly only to be replaced by some big spending Premier League war dog to help preserve the Premier League gravy train.At the moment it''s all about fun and football... whereas promotion will be purely about money. A rash of poor signings and over inflated wages could swiftly wreck what is being built... so be careful what you wish for. Smith and Co. were incredibly lucky to have Paul Lambert dig them out of a hole... and the players on the pitch which he found are giving the fans a great time.Too much too soon... and there won''t be another Paul Lambert to salvage the ''saviour''s'' wreckage next time.[/quote]Oh dear, and I thought the "Little Old Norwich" attitude was a thing of the past...[/quote]Across a table I would be certain Paul Lambert would concur with my ambitions rather than your naive foolhardiness.You display a little mind with equally litttle awareness of what sustainable ambition actually involves.[/quote]I am certain that if you offered Paul Lambert a much larger budget he would not turn it down. Sustainable ambition has more to do with careful planning and management of finances (e.g. not offering huge wages to players that aren''t hungry), than turning down promotion.

Their is rarely any easy games home and away in the Championship which is why I don''t ever go with this "God this games going to be really hard" bull!

If we play like have done in most away games this season then the home sides will have to play really well to beat us!

Basically if we maintain the high standards we''ve set so far then a play off place is more than possible!

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]So Leeds have been building themselves up for promotion for the Prem whilst they were in the Championship? Get real cluck you idiot. It doesn''t matter if we are ready or not (even if I think we are), it''s all about money. Going up has the potential of wiping all of our debt out. So you wouldn''t want us to get promoted to help us financially? Jesus wept.[/quote]

Sorry - I think you''re foolhardy if you believe that. Did''nt happen last time did it? Yes I know we had the mortgage from AXA in 2003 to build The Jarrold but overall debt climbed steadily even after promotion. If we go up this season (and I as a fan want that achievement in a sporting context only as much as anyone), we will immediately shovel out most of the cash on huge (by our standards) wages / transfer fees. Do you honestly think the club will write out a cheque to it''s creditors to finally get rid of the towering level of debt we have?? No chance, it will be ....''restructured'' and ''managed'' you see and overall debt level is unlikely to show much reduction. 

Mc Nally may be getting to grips with cashflow outside The Premier but once / if back inside, he will spend and spend again so the much vaunted ''£90M'' won''t go very far after many snoughts have been at the trough!

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]We won''t be going up this season... and for me that is good news.

The likes of Cardiff, QPR, Leeds,Swansea et al having been readying themselves for promotion for several seasons now... and we just aren''t there yet.

Be content with two splendid seasons under Paul Lambert.... with the promise of more to come. If we go up this season and do badly, Paul Lambert will be gone quickly only to be replaced by some big spending Premier League war dog to help preserve the Premier League gravy train.

At the moment it''s all about fun and football... whereas promotion will be purely about money. A rash of poor signings and over inflated wages could swiftly wreck what is being built... so be careful what you wish for. Smith and Co. were incredibly lucky to have Paul Lambert dig them out of a hole... and the players on the pitch which he found are giving the fans a great time.

Too much too soon... and there won''t be another Paul Lambert to salvage the ''saviour''s'' wreckage next time.
[/quote]

Good post.

I was hoping for a mid table finish this season, so I can identify with exactly what you have said.

As Paul Lambert keeps saying, look where we were last season. Let''s keep our feet on the ground here and see how it all pans out.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="SnakepitCanary"]So Leeds have been building themselves up for promotion for the Prem whilst they were in the Championship? Get real cluck you idiot. It doesn''t matter if we are ready or not (even if I think we are), it''s all about money. Going up has the potential of wiping all of our debt out. So you wouldn''t want us to get promoted to help us financially? Jesus wept.[/quote]

Wiping out debt? It will actually mean more debt just to tread water and with Smith still at the helm it would be an absolute disaster.

[/quote]

[/quote]

You don''t warrant sarcasm ex-Plod.

We''ve seen what your mentality consists of via the NCISA and the control freakery you revel in.

[/quote]

Care to comment on WBA then as you know everything there is to know from the comfort of your armchair?

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="SnakepitCanary"]So Leeds have been building themselves up for promotion for the Prem whilst they were in the Championship? Get real cluck you idiot. It doesn''t matter if we are ready or not (even if I think we are), it''s all about money. Going up has the potential of wiping all of our debt out. So you wouldn''t want us to get promoted to help us financially? Jesus wept.[/quote]La la land is alive and well.....Wiping out debt? It will actually mean more debt just to tread water and with Smith still at the helm it would be an absolute disaster.Take a look at Portsmouth.  [/quote]

[/quote]You don''t warrant sarcasm ex-Plod.We''ve seen what your mentality consists of via the NCISA and the control freakery you revel in.

[/quote]

Care to comment on WBA then as you know everything there is to know from the comfort of your armchair?

[/quote]How about Charlton and Southampton then.... or even moneybags Middlesbrough..... not to mention Hull City and Sheffield United........From the comfort of your self constructed pedestal...

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You don''t warrant sarcasm ex-Plod.

We''ve seen what your mentality consists of via the NCISA and the control freakery you revel in.

[/quote]

[/quote]

How about Charlton and Southampton then.... or even moneybags Middlesbrough..... not to mention Hull City and Sheffield United........

From the comfort of your self constructed pedestal...
[/quote]

I asked you to comment on WBA and maybe you could expand on your "self constructed" remark.

Isnt this the best year to at least try and go up cause of the Payments Premier League teams are going to get even if relegated. I know money doesn''t buy titles but all the teams at the top do have something in common. It would be a lot more difficult for Norwich to get up next year with the money they will be getting.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]We won''t be going up this season... and for me that is good news.

The likes of Cardiff, QPR, Leeds,Swansea et al having been readying themselves for promotion for several seasons now... and we just aren''t there yet.

Be content with two splendid seasons under Paul Lambert.... with the promise of more to come. If we go up this season and do badly, Paul Lambert will be gone quickly only to be replaced by some big spending Premier League war dog to help preserve the Premier League gravy train.

At the moment it''s all about fun and football... whereas promotion will be purely about money. A rash of poor signings and over inflated wages could swiftly wreck what is being built... so be careful what you wish for. Smith and Co. were incredibly lucky to have Paul Lambert dig them out of a hole... and the players on the pitch which he found are giving the fans a great time.

Too much too soon... and there won''t be another Paul Lambert to salvage the ''saviour''s'' wreckage next time.
[/quote]

Good post.

I was hoping for a mid table finish this season, so I can identify with exactly what you have said.

As Paul Lambert keeps saying, look where we were last season. Let''s keep our feet on the ground here and see how it all pans out.

[/quote]

You guys ever seen the movie aeroplane?  Please never sit next to me!!

[/quote]

A copuple of points regarding Cluck''s post.

1) I''m not sure that teams prepare themselves for promotion over several seasons, the game is too fickle for that and there are just too many variables in that scenario. I think in our position you just have to go for it and hang the consequences. As many have said it WILL be much, much tougher next season with the teams that get relegated.

2)I''m not convinced that should Lambert start the season badly the board will give him the boot. I think the board realise they have a potentially great manager, the biggest danger is that should someone like (especially) Celtic get off to a bad start he is more likely to leave than get the bullet. Every man has his price and I''m sure there''s a lot about the Burnley approach that we weren''t privvy to.

3) and of course there''s always the scenario that Lambert will think he''s taken us as far as he can (if we don''t get promoted) and we will see him leave in the summer.

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]We won''t be going up this season... and for me that is good news.The likes of Cardiff, QPR, Leeds,Swansea et al having been readying themselves for promotion for several seasons now... and we just aren''t there yet.Be content with two splendid seasons under Paul Lambert.... with the promise of more to come. If we go up this season and do badly, Paul Lambert will be gone quickly only to be replaced by some big spending Premier League war dog to help preserve the Premier League gravy train.At the moment it''s all about fun and football... whereas promotion will be purely about money. A rash of poor signings and over inflated wages could swiftly wreck what is being built... so be careful what you wish for. Smith and Co. were incredibly lucky to have Paul Lambert dig them out of a hole... and the players on the pitch which he found are giving the fans a great time.Too much too soon... and there won''t be another Paul Lambert to salvage the ''saviour''s'' wreckage next time.[/quote]

A copuple of points regarding Cluck''s post.

1) I''m not sure that teams prepare themselves for promotion over several seasons, the game is too fickle for that and there are just too many variables in that scenario. I think in our position you just have to go for it and hang the consequences. As many have said it WILL be much, much tougher next season with the teams that get relegated.

2)I''m not convinced that should Lambert start the season badly the board will give him the boot. I think the board realise they have a potentially great manager, the biggest danger is that should someone like (especially) Celtic get off to a bad start he is more likely to leave than get the bullet. Every man has his price and I''m sure there''s a lot about the Burnley approach that we weren''t privvy to.

3) and of course there''s always the scenario that Lambert will think he''s taken us as far as he can (if we don''t get promoted) and we will see him leave in the summer.

[/quote]Re point 1. I''d say there is a great deal to get right on and off the pitch if you are to mount a serious promotion bid. There are many variables as you say but the best prepared usually wins in life and those genuinely talented young players we have will grow given another year in at this level. Less money therefore to replace them as we would have to do this season.Point 2. It would be a cert (as with so many clubs) that if City got cut adrift early on Paul Lambert would move on.  He is a great young manager and I suspect he is already being coveted by bigger clubs. No-one could blame him for moving on. Alternatively, plunging him into the big time before both he and the team are ready could make the owners (as if) see money as rather more important than building the club and team long term. Paul Lambert would be damaged goods and the likes of Allardice brought in to spend every penny the club had to stay up. Failure would be very damaging and we may never recover from it. Relegation followed by uloading the mercenaries, paying off stupid contracts, losing any decent player having been Premierised.... and just hoping to find another Paul Lambert to undo the damage done. He won''t exist a second time.Point 3. I reckon if we play ball with him he will see the job through. If he was desperate for the club to go up this year we would have heard rumblings of discontent. He is happy with progress and that is what matters.I''m afraid City are in  the grip of a Premier League obsession by a certain section of it''s support. Clearly it''s more about ''them'' than the long term good of NCFC.  PL, Bowkett and McNally will keep their feet firmly on the ground I''m sure.

Our performances have been good against the top teams away from home, but results not so much.

Cardiff we lost 3-1, Leeds we drew after going ahead, Forest Chrissy hit the post twice and we conceded a dodgy pen to draw 1-1 and QPR we missed a pen and drew 0-0. So we''ve taken 3 points from 12 with Swansea left to play to make it possibly 6 from 15. 

So far we have Forest left to play at home and beat QPR and Swansea and drew with Leeds and Cardiff. Taken 8 from 12 so far with a possible of 11 from 15 if we beat Forest.

So our home form against the big teams is better in terms of results at least, which is the most important fact.