Sign in to follow this  
Excited Canary

Leeds thoughts & piccies

Hey guys, just got back from a good day out in Leeds! Very pleased with the result, and great support from the traveling Green , out sang Leeds pretty much all game!We started the game very ominously, with Leeds looking very menacing going forward and it was all backs to the wall stuff. Their goal was always coming, an incredibly scrappy header over the line at the far post from a Gradel cross. We all hoped that that would kick the lads into action but unfortunately it didn''t and Ward again looked a bit short of confidence. On about the half hour mark we were lucky Leeds were not 2 goals ahead when Jonny Howson hit the bar from close range. It was just one of those halves when you just hoped it would get to half time with us still in the game, but under Norwich you just don''t know what to expect and we started to finally get more into the game attacking wise. After a spell of possession Crofts got the ball deep into the leaves half and produced a teasing ball to the far post where Holt did very well to cushion the header down to that man again, Henri Lansbury to fire home to send the 3,000+ Canaries wild; the less said about Henri''s celebration the better.Second half we came out a lot more threatening, but Leeds, especially Gradel, still looked very threatening on the break. Holt then hit the post and it was only a matter of time before we took the lead. Good build up play, rounded off by a good finish by Wes, although I though their defender probably could have done a better job than balloon it into the net. Despite going ahead we still didn''t look to settled and moments later Leeds were through again, and Whitbread did a tremendous last ditch tackle to stop a certain equalizer. We were probably left to rue not getting a 3rd when we were on top, because the last 20 minutes were much like the first 20 minutes. Davide Somma replaced Kilkenny and with his first touch of the game smashed a delightful volley past Ruddy. When that went in you always felt that Leeds would go on and win it, and that did look likely when in the dying moments Paynter was put through 6 yards out and only a brilliant stop from Ruddy denied Leeds of copying our trick.Ratings:Ruddy 8. Some very good, key saves, and on a bobbly pitch dealt well with a lot of poor crosses/shots along the floor.R. Martin 7. Guilty of backing off Gradel a bit, but generally did his job well. Not as much going forward today.Whitbread. MOM. 9. Best game so far in the yellow and green for Zak, terrific. Ward 7. Still looked a bit shaky at times but won a lot more in the air today, much improved.Drury 7. See R. Martin.Lansbury 7.5. Extra 0.5 purely because of his goal. Didn''t see as much of him today but generally did the simple things well enough. Fox 7.5. 2 very good long range efforts in the first half, good passing again.Crofts 7.5. Broke up play well, would have probably scored late on if it wasn''t for Wilbraham flicking it on just ahead of him.Hoolahan 8. Same old Wes, full of trickery maybe a bit guilty of playing to much at times but was impressive yet again. Good finish for his goal (if it was given his).Holt 7.5. Worked tirelessly again, did very well to set up Lansbury for his goal.Wilbraham 8. Wasn''t that convinced when I saw that he was starting but he did very well. Won almost everything in the air and did some good build up play. However, never looked liked scoring and I still feel we need a loanee striker through the door.

Had no trouble at all, all day but unfortunately 2 Norwich fans let the Leeds fans get to them at the final whistle and tried to get into the home end...they got wrestled to the floor and I doubt we will be seeing them again for a while.Just uploading the piccies...will put them on in a minute.OTBC

The need for an edit button, gaah its been a long day. I obviously mean Green *Army* at the start and then later on Leeds not ''leaves'' and ''with'' Norwich not ''under'' Norwich [:P]

Here are the pictures:[IMG]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/Norwich_2010/IMAG0053.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/Norwich_2010/IMAG0056.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/Norwich_2010/IMAG0057.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/Norwich_2010/IMAG0058.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/Norwich_2010/IMAG0060.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/Norwich_2010/IMAG0061.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af321/Norwich_2010/IMAG0064.jpg[/IMG]

Agree with pretty much everything you put.  I was sat in the East stand (i think, the big one with 2 tiers that they cant sell out) unfortunatly with 3 Leeds fans.  Was interesting to say the least.  Anyway i was about in line with the halfway line.  Thought we were very poor in the 1st half, especially midfield.  Apart from the defence, and Hoolahan, we were struggling to make a pass.  Nothing sticking up front and apart from the Fox effort, we hadn''t any other chances before the goal.  Their goal looked like it could''ve been a foul, but it was soft.  Leeds also hit the post and the bar and could''ve been out of sight by the time we had a chance.  The build up to our goal was a little strange, the defence were passing it about to one another as if we were seeing out the last minute and 3-0 up, the a long ball from Ward won by Holt i think, knocked down and Lansbury smashed it home. 

The second half started brighter and we hit the post fairly early on.  Then a swift counter, a good ball from Crofts and Wes tucked it away.  That was a very sweet moment hearing the mighty Leeds fall silent.  The Leeds equaliser was poor defending from us again, but a good volley from Somma.  A mention for Ruddy who was excellent today and made a fantastic last minute save.

Dunno if anyone else noticed, but as the players came out after half time, Holty came over to our stand and was jokingly singing the Marching on together song, whilst also sort of conducting and having a little dance.  He also offered 1 or 2 if they wanted ''some''.  Loved that. 

I was surprised by the lack of songs.  In the game at Carrow road this season, the Leeds fans were very vocal but nowhere near as much at home.  I could hear the Green army in full voice for much of the game.  Anyone know what was sung to the tune of Luciano Becchio?  That didn;t go down very well with the home fans.

Overall, a good point for us.  Defo not 2 dropped, we could''ve gotten a hiding today, but i was impressed with how we stayed with our passing and possesion game.  We do lack width playing the diamond and sometimes we are far too narrow and reliant on Wes.  Incidently Wes was very good on what looked a very bobbley pitch.

Good pics by the way... God Leeds is a dump, really, really hope we dont have to go back for the play offs...

Thanks for that.  Great result today IMO, definitely would have taken that before the game.  I''m glad Whitbread had such a good game because I think we are going to need someone solid alongside Ward.  Sounded like Gradel gave us a lot of problems just like he did at Carrow Road.  By the sounds of the radio Holt and Hoolahan both played well and even Wilbraham.

Under managers like Worthington, Grant and Roeder we would have got a thrashing today but under Lambert we never give up and we have ended up with a superb point.  Bring on Donny on Tuesday night back at Carrow Road!!!!!

Forgot to add, i thought Drury was poor today, he sat off Snodgrass far too much and he got far too many crosses in today.  Snodgrass looked absolutly knackered at the end, hes a good player, also Gradel had a good game for them but Martin i think was better than Drury...

Thanks everyone for your reviews and feedback of the game. It really is a treat to have you folks offer such first hand info. Being in America I''m only able to listen on the radio, which is always quality commentary, but it''s good stuff also to read what the fans in the stand have to say.As for the singing, I thought I heard a fair amount from the away fans, considering you guys were up against 28,000 leeds fans! It was very cool to hear all of the singing in the back ground and it always makes me smile. If I close my eyes it''s almost -not quite, but you know what I mean- like I''m back in my living room when I lived on Carrow road.Keep up the great feedback and the great songs!Cheers

FAO Boyo'' regarding Worthington/Grant/Roeder -

What, you mean the same manager Worthington who led us to countless wins including a ''neversaydie'' 2-0 win over a full strength Man Utd?. I think overall he did a little bit better for us than Roeder and Grant, don''t you?

Have to disagree about wilbraham. He didn''t win a great deal in the first half. Seemed to come more into it in the 2nd but should have been subbed for Jackson to give us some pace on the counter. Lansburys celebration was a p*stake of becchios for their first. Really good to see us out sing them for 90 mins

[quote user="milehicanary"]Thanks everyone for your reviews and feedback of the game. It really is a treat to have you folks offer such first hand info. Being in America I''m only able to listen on the radio, which is always quality commentary, but it''s good stuff also to read what the fans in the stand have to say.

As for the singing, I thought I heard a fair amount from the away fans, considering you guys were up against 28,000 leeds fans! It was very cool to hear all of the singing in the back ground and it always makes me smile. If I close my eyes it''s almost -not quite, but you know what I mean- like I''m back in my living room when I lived on Carrow road.

Keep up the great feedback and the great songs!

Cheers
[/quote]

--

milehi, welcome to the board. As a coach (I think?) you''ll find posters here who understand football and analyse the games for the benefit of exiles such as you. Not me, you understand! Pay no attention to anything I say, but there are plenty of knowledgeable people around.

Despite what you may have read elsewhere this board is, as the Hitchhiker''s Guide to the Galaxy says about planet Earth, "Mostly harmless". The good easily outweighs, although people do get angry sometimes (actually some people quite a lot of the time) and there are some abusive posts.

However what you won''t find here is the malice that was a serious factor in the decline of the official message-board. A decline so pronounced that it may soon result in the club scrapping it.

Thanks for the welcome, PurpleCanary.Yes, I am a coach and I run my own youth soccer academy. I coach players from 7 to 18 years old. My Developmental Program focuses primarily on the 7, 8 & 9 year old players, because American parents lack the understanding of how to coach youth players in soccer players in the fundamentals.I''m scheduled to take my U12 boys team to London next month to train with Chelsea for a week. I was hoping to catch the Norwich game on the Saturday we arrive, March 19th, except Norwich are away at Hull and there''s no game on the 26th, due to the international break. Kick in the teeth that. So instead I''m going to have to watch Chelsea play Man City. As for the official message board, unfortunately it is true what you say; it has gone from bad, to worse, and recently to down right nonsensical finger pointing. It''s a shame really.Anyway, I shall look out for your future posts and be sure to ignore every word!

I''m just up the road Marv, in Boulder. For all of the English folk who need a mental reference point, that''s where Mork and Mindy lived. And yes, it is a little quirky, but not as quirky as Glastonbury!

[quote user="Alex"]

FAO Boyo'' regarding Worthington/Grant/Roeder -

What, you mean the same manager Worthington who led us to countless wins including a ''neversaydie'' 2-0 win over a full strength Man Utd?. I think overall he did a little bit better for us than Roeder and Grant, don''t you?

[/quote]

Oh yeah he definitely was a lot better than Grant and Roeder and I have great respect for him taking us up.  What I said there was more referring to his last couple of season as manager where he still wasn''t as bad as Grant and Roeder but I think we would have lost that game yesterday.

Hi allYes a very good game on saturday and disappointed that Leeds didnt put the game out of sight in the first 45 minutes. Norwich were always gonna come strong at some point and our defence is very very poor. Pleased that we got the equaliser and it was no surprise to see Paynter miss when through at the end. A couple of points to the opening post:The East stand isnt fully opened because Ken Bates - its not that we cant sell out, but Uncle Ken in his infinite wisdom decides not to open it unless its a very big game, which is a shame. We could easily have sold out on saturday. Nice dig though ;-)To those saying Leeds is a shithole - a tad ironic surely? At least the ground doesnt back on to a morrisons! Home fans - yes ER is generally quiet at home games these days, away support is much better and more vocal. I think thats a symptom of crowds these days, you have the diehards travelling to away games, whereas the home atmosphere is ruined by too many kids and familiesGreat game though, a very interesting end of season awaits! I have a feeling Leeds will miss out though, we cant finish teams off, or defend properly. Plus we havent perfected that knack of injury time winners like you guys!

"whereas the home atmosphere is ruined by too many kids and families"Uhhhh..... aren''t the kids the future of your club?  Aren''t the families the ones who are buying 3 or 4 tickets at a time and paying the player''s salaries?Wow....