Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Chris Martin gets 'last chance' warning from Lambert!

In todays EDP.

All to do with his discipline issues outside the club.

I''m q big fan of Chrissy, but quite rightly, PL says he wn''t tolorate further incidents.

Is there a link to this or just in paper?

what exactly does Lambert say? To be fair, he has pushed it too far on one too many occasions. I like this approach, Lambert praises his players when they deserve it but is prepared to take the hard line when it may be needed.

[quote user="Pabs"]Is there a link to this or just in paper?

what exactly does Lambert say? To be fair, he has pushed it too far on

one too many occasions. I like this approach, Lambert praises his

players when they deserve it but is prepared to take the hard line when

it may be needed.[/quote]Agreed, depending on what he said, I

think a) it''s good he has waited until the results of the trial before

commenting and b) he has taken the hard line and not ignored/sympathised

with his players like some other managers would. Regardless of whether

Martin''s offence was just a push, or how much of a target he is, a

professional footballer representing our club can''t behave like he did

without repercussion.I''ve not read the article, but if true (and

I doubt Wiz would willfully misinterpret it) it does make you wonder

just how serious his hamstring injury is...

[quote user="Pabs"]Is there a link to this or just in paper? what exactly does Lambert say? To be fair, he has pushed it too far on one too many occasions. I like this approach, Lambert praises his players when they deserve it but is prepared to take the hard line when it may be needed.[/quote]

In todays paper Pads, it just goes on to say that PL won''t tolerate outside behaviour like Martins at City, it came across as once more and he''s gone to me.

It has all been too much of a coincidence suddenly being injured after the court case. I am pleased with Lamberts response and view. The ball is now in Martins court i hope he has a positive response

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Pabs"]Is there a link to this or just in paper? what exactly does Lambert say? To be fair, he has pushed it too far on one too many occasions. I like this approach, Lambert praises his players when they deserve it but is prepared to take the hard line when it may be needed.[/quote]

In todays paper Pads, it just goes on to say that PL won''t tolerate outside behaviour like Martins at City, it came across as once more and he''s gone to me.

[/quote]So Lambert didn''t say he was on his last chance, then, that''s just how you interpreted it? Not having a pop, just wanting to clarify. Either way, it''s good that he''s taking a no-nonsense stance on player discipline. The players should consider themselves lucky to be playing for such a fantastic club, and if they can''t make the effort to keep their noses clean then I fully trust Lambert to move them on and bring in players of equal or better quality who set a better example.

It is a pity the lad seems to have ''off pitch'' issues and he is lucky to have had Paul Lambert as a mentor.PL knows what he has in Martin as a player and whether putting up with too much of this is worth the bother.

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]
So Lambert didn''t say he was on his last chance, then, that''s just how you interpreted it? Not having a pop, just wanting to clarify. Either way, it''s good that he''s taking a no-nonsense stance on player discipline. The players should consider themselves lucky to be playing for such a fantastic club, and if they can''t make the effort to keep their noses clean then I fully trust Lambert to move them on and bring in players of equal or better quality who set a better example.
[/quote]

Just re-read the article Coelho and its nigh on impossible to interperate it any other way.

I think you''re missing the point.. You put ''last chance'' in inverted commas.. Do you know what inverted commas are used for?

Here''s a definition:

Inverted commas (informally referred to as quotes and speech marks) are punctuation marks used in pairs to set off speech, a quotation, a phrase, or a word. They come as a pair of opening and closing marks in either of two styles.

You should perhaps edit your title to say ''Lambert hints Martin is on his last chance..''

Oh wait I forgot you can''t edit sh!t because this forum was designed in the 1980''s! ARGHHH!

Football is littered with young lads who had potential who have gone off the rails. Martin has potential but at this stage in his career will not have earned the money to give him long term security. I have no doubt there are temptations wind up merchants out there that destroy promising careers. He needs to model himself on the likes of Giggs and Scholes and he will have a rewarding career. Not many people have the chances of a Joey Barton

[quote user="AndyCanary"]I think you''re missing the point.. You put ''last chance'' in inverted commas.. Do you know what inverted commas are used for? Here''s a definition: Inverted commas (informally referred to as quotes and speech marks) are punctuation marks used in pairs to set off speech, a quotation, a phrase, or a word. They come as a pair of opening and closing marks in either of two styles. You should perhaps edit your title to say ''Lambert hints Martin is on his last chance..'' Oh wait I forgot you can''t edit sh!t because this forum was designed in the 1980''s! ARGHHH![/quote]

Oh dear.[:S]

Seriously Andy, PL mentions Chrissy''s last two chances, at Luton and now this latest one, do you think he''ll survive a third?

Sorry, I''ve read the article and didn''t insinuate anything about this being his last chance. It simply says the club won''t continue to stand by them if their off the field behaviour doesn''t meet standards. Nothing about numerically limiting his chances.

As usual, I think Wiz is being sensationalist for attention seeking purposes.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="AndyCanary"]I think you''re missing the point.. You put ''last chance'' in inverted commas.. Do you know what inverted commas are used for? Here''s a definition: Inverted commas (informally referred to as quotes and speech marks) are punctuation marks used in pairs to set off speech, a quotation, a phrase, or a word. They come as a pair of opening and closing marks in either of two styles. You should perhaps edit your title to say ''Lambert hints Martin is on his last chance..'' Oh wait I forgot you can''t edit sh!t because this forum was designed in the 1980''s! ARGHHH![/quote]

Oh dear.[:S]

Seriously Andy, PL mentions Chrissy''s last two chances, at Luton and now this latest one, do you think he''ll survive a third?

[/quote]

I''m not disputing that. I''m just explaining why ppl are getting the hump with what you''re saying.

It''s like me starting a thread titled: Lambert ''I would sell Holt if I was offered £20million''

We all know it''s true but you can''t just make out someone says it because it''s very likely.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Sorry, I''ve read the article and didn''t insinuate anything about this being his last chance. It simply says the club won''t continue to stand by them if their off the field behaviour doesn''t meet standards. Nothing about numerically limiting his chances. As usual, I think Wiz is being sensationalist for attention seeking purposes.[/quote]

So you think he''d survive if theres a ''next time'' then?

Tick tock tick.............

As another poster states, it does make one wonder whether he actually has an injury or has been suspended by the club and the club just want to keep this quiet and internal to the squad to avoid further adverse media interest. Lambert is a disciplinarian and that is one reason why he is a successful manager, so he knows that he cannot be seen to be soft on Martin who is dragging the club''s reputation through the mire.  

I thought at the time the injury was announced it was a bit suspicious as it came just after the hearing. Lambert may have given him a week or two to sort himself out. Could be great bit mangerial skill as he could come back showing what he has to prove and bang in a couple of times. It is a bad point in the season to ban someone from playing for a couple of weeks though, however i dont think this would stop Lambert if he felt it was the right thing to do!

So, now Archant are attention seekers too:

Lambert warns Norwich City players to stay out of trouble

But he mentions Chrissy by name, so ergo, he''s been warned and for the last time reading between the lines!

Paul Moy may have hit on a believable story angle and its worth further debate imo.

Players are always more likely to get muscle strains when they are highely stressed. I can imagine Martin was pretty stressed out on Thursday when the injury is supposed to have happened, so it doesn''t seem too unlikely to me.

Also if the club were going to implement disciplinary action, it would more likely be a fine than suspending the player, and would probably have happened closer to the actual offence rather than to the court case.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Players are always more likely to get muscle strains when they are highely stressed. I can imagine Martin was pretty stressed out on Thursday when the injury is supposed to have happened, so it doesn''t seem too unlikely to me.

Also if the club were going to implement disciplinary action, it would more likely be a fine than suspending the player, and would probably have happened closer to the actual offence rather than to the court case.

[/quote]

This is what I would have thought, surely if Lambert was to suspend Martin, it would have been after the assault, not after the hearing where supposedly the weight has been lifted and that he can now put it behind him

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

Surely they would have waited for the outcome of the court case, as to fine Martin and then for him to be found innocent would be a massive injustice. I would imagine that Martin would have been told early on that the outcome of the court case would determine the action by the club and that if he had lied over events to Lambert then to expect even tougher action.  

Wouldn''t this have been better kept behind closed doors? . Chris Martin is not a kid anymore and if he''s good enough as a player he will always be taken on at another club should he transgress. See Lee Hughes and Marlon King etc etc.

He may not be a kid but from a pro footballer stance he is not street wise. On the football pitch he has an arrogance and sometimes mean streak that if you take out in the real world people will have a pop. I hope the club can help him resolve these problems, simply saying to him "stay out of trouble" i don''t think is the solution. Tackle the real underlaying problem whatever that may be.

HRH

[quote user="haisbrohacker"]He may not be a kid but from a pro footballer stance he is not street wise. On the football pitch he has an arrogance and sometimes mean streak that if you take out in the real world people will have a pop. I hope the club can help him resolve these problems, simply saying to him "stay out of trouble" i don''t think is the solution. Tackle the real underlaying problem whatever that may be.

HRH[/quote]Plus he might not being hanging about with the right kind of people....

When he was at Luton he seemed to knuckle down and work hard. away from the peer pressure maybe?I don''t know what the situation is as i don''t know Chris Martin personally, as a player he can be lazy and have an attitude but on his day i think he is the best striker at the club. He could go onto be another Chris Sutton but only Martin can control his future and make that happen. The Premiership wouldn''t be byeond him but in order to acheive that he has to knuckle down and work.Chirs Martin isn''t a boy. he is a 22 year old man, a responsible Adult. If he is getting into trouble then he needs to address as to why that is, is it a personal issue? is it peer pressure? is it anything else?Personal issues can be solved by 1 person and 1 person alone, Chris Martin! if he get''s into trouble due to the company he keeps then it''s time to say to those people "Up yours". Chris has an opportunity that his friends are NEVER going to get. He is a young athlete in a professional sport and someone who could make a lot of money in his career.Chris Martin has a choice now. Carry on as is and never make the money, hit the heights and get the rewards. Or take stock of the situation, do what ever needs to be done away from football, then come in to the club and work hard.He may read this, he may not, he may think "what the hell does that prat know?" of me... but now that his Employer has spoken out it is his last chance...What do you want Chris Martin? A career in professional sport and becoming one of the best? or sitting there 10 years down the line thinking "if only..."Time to man up and sort yourself out sunshine!

[quote user="Armchair Follower"]Wouldn''t this have been better kept behind closed doors? . Chris Martin is not a kid anymore and if he''s good enough as a player he will always be taken on at another club should he transgress. See Lee Hughes and Marlon King etc etc.[/quote]

Bit of a no win situation if you take that view; the club would have been wrightly criticised had they said nothing.

Agreed Tangy.He''s a local lad and so all the more special to NCFC. Being a local ''celebrity'' he will naturally attract the glory cling-ons who will wrap their egos around his success and from what I can make out it''s these people who are busy ruining a career.If it all goes tits up for him he will look back at this period with regret for the rest of his life... while those who led him astray will have long since walked away.