Sign in to follow this  
Sideshow Tim

Doncaster trying to get match postponed

It merely states that the offending club (Doncaster)shall "be deemed guilty of misconduct" and also that compensation shall be paid to the other club (Norwich)

Presume that is financial compensation, amount judged by the League - but no mention of how that ''guilty of misconduct'' will relate to deduction of points, shooting of club officials etc

Shooting of club officials might be a bit to far, but I''m sure we could all come up with a few candidates from our club''s recent past for a stint in the Stocks!

It seems most likely that Donny will just have to play with whatever they''ve got in - if they were that strapped for players they should have had in some emergency loans - after all that is what they are for. My biggest concern is that Norwich fans (and players) will get complacent and not think of them as being as good as their first XI...I''ve always had this feeling that we play better against the decent sides and are inclined to let sides off the hook with this sort of thing. But I''m sure Lambo won''t let that happen.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]It seems most likely that Donny will just have to play with whatever they''ve got in - if they were that strapped for players they should have had in some emergency loans - .[/quote]

Think they already have 5 on loan, Moussa, Euell, Mason, Mills, Killgallon and can''t play more than 5 anyway

[quote user="Lincoln Yellow"]Anyone else thinks we''re almost guaranteed to lose this now?[/quote]

Nope! If we don''t win we need to look hard at ourselves! Let''s conduct ourselves like any game though please.

Official request made:

Norwich City v Doncaster Rovers: Ryan asks League to call off game due to injuries

Sponsored by

Published on Tue Feb 22 07:58:53 GMT 2011

DONCASTER Rovers chairman John Ryan has asked the Football League to postpone tonight’s Championship game with Norwich City.

Ryan feels it will be unfair if Rovers have to play without the 14 players who are currently unavailable due to injury.

The Football League says it will leave the decision down to the club but can hit Rovers with a hefty fine if the move is not deemed to be justifiable.

Manager Sean O’Driscoll had 15 senior players at his disposal last weekend – including two goalkeepers – but does have youngsters available who can sit on the bench.

Chairman Ryan said: “I think it will be grossly unfair on the rest of the league and unfair for us to play Norwich with so many injuries. Against Swansea last weekend, we did not have a single shot on goal. We might as well line-up 11 players on their goalline. The 25,000 people at the game won’t mind as long as Norwich win. If our first team was available, we would have a better chance of winning.”

Midfielder Franck Moussa joined Rovers on loan from Leicester City prior to Saturday’s defeat at Swansea City and O’Driscoll was again looking to bolster his options last night.

The list of players currently sidelined at the club reads: strikers Billy Sharp, James Hayter and Steve Brooker, midfielders James Coppinger, Martin Woods, Brian Stock, Ryan Mason, Simon Gillett and Ryan Burge, defenders Shelton Martis, Adam Lockwood, James O’Connor, Mustapha Dumbuya, and James Chambers.

Last six games: Norwich WDWLWD, Doncaster Rovers LWLLLL

Last time: Norwich 2 Doncaster Rovers 1; October 25, 2008, Championship.

Referee: RJ Booth (Nottinghamshire).

It''s obviously going to be postponed now..."The football league have left it to the club"...the chairman who was interviewed though didn''t seem happy at all and I would be very surprised if he let the  game go ahead. Shame really, and totally unfair considering our promotion candidates played them on Saturday with barely any players.

If they call this off it will be disgraceful. Chairman Ryan has already stated it''s unfair. But why can one of our main rivals, Swansea, benefit from their situation? That would be even more unfair against us.

Stop the whining Doncaster, get the kids on and play. Cry babies. Get a bigger squad within your financial means next year to cover situations like this.

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]

If they call this off it will be disgraceful. Chairman Ryan has already stated it''s unfair. But why can one of our main rivals, Swansea, benefit from their situation? That would be even more unfair against us.

Stop the whining Doncaster, get the kids on and play. Cry babies. Get a bigger squad within your financial means next year to cover situations like this.

[/quote]

Seems odd that they would be allowed to call it off when they have 32 players and 14 injured, they still have 18 for their squad tonight although I appreciate it means that they will have youngsters filling the bench with no first team experience.

Still its going to be a bloody cold night so we can stay in the warm [:)]

[quote user="AndyJR"]Official request made: Norwich City v Doncaster Rovers: Ryan asks League to call off game due to injuries Sponsored by Published on Tue Feb 22 07:58:53 GMT 2011 DONCASTER Rovers chairman John Ryan has asked the Football League to postpone tonight’s Championship game with Norwich City. Ryan feels it will be unfair if Rovers have to play without the 14 players who are currently unavailable due to injury. The Football League says it will leave the decision down to the club but can hit Rovers with a hefty fine if the move is not deemed to be justifiable. Manager Sean O’Driscoll had 15 senior players at his disposal last weekend – including two goalkeepers – but does have youngsters available who can sit on the bench. Chairman Ryan said: “I think it will be grossly unfair on the rest of the league and unfair for us to play Norwich with so many injuries. Against Swansea last weekend, we did not have a single shot on goal. We might as well line-up 11 players on their goalline. The 25,000 people at the game won’t mind as long as Norwich win. If our first team was available, we would have a better chance of winning.” Midfielder Franck Moussa joined Rovers on loan from Leicester City prior to Saturday’s defeat at Swansea City and O’Driscoll was again looking to bolster his options last night. The list of players currently sidelined at the club reads: strikers Billy Sharp, James Hayter and Steve Brooker, midfielders James Coppinger, Martin Woods, Brian Stock, Ryan Mason, Simon Gillett and Ryan Burge, defenders Shelton Martis, Adam Lockwood, James O’Connor, Mustapha Dumbuya, and James Chambers. Last six games: Norwich WDWLWD, Doncaster Rovers LWLLLL Last time: Norwich 2 Doncaster Rovers 1; October 25, 2008, Championship. Referee: RJ Booth (Nottinghamshire).[/quote]

I''m sure their relegation rivals will not see it as ''grossly unfair'' Mr Ryan....

Whereas i sympathise at Donny''s unreal situation, this is pathetic - If the hand was on the other foot i bet they''d be delighted. They have ENOUGH players to play the match but just because they did not get a single shot on goal in the last match, Mr Ryan feels its justified to call off the game - absolutely ridiculous. If this went went ahead (or didn''t as the case may be), surely this would break league rules? They''ve got enough players to play plus a few subs - END OF. Worth submitting a squad of 33 or so at the start of the season if half of them are deemed not good enough to play for the club push come to shove.... [8-)]

Honestly, what''s unfair about injuries? It''s not like we''ve caused them. It''s up to them to have a squad capable of competing. It would be "grossly unfair", if they were to play Swansea last week, Leeds on Saturday, and claim they can''t play us today.

With the pinkun headline, I bet the club are going to get loads of phone calls from travelling fans asking if the game is on now [:)]

This chairman clearly hasnt thought about his fans or our fans. Today is my only day off this week, dont live in Norwich so made some real plans today and he wants to ruin it. Im sure his traveling fans wont be too impressed either!!

Seems odd that the Football league would abdicate responsibility and leave it upto Doncaster. It concerns me that the Doncaster chairman apparently left it until this morning before making the request for postponement. It also seems to me that we will be the club disadvantaged if our game is allowed to be postponed whilst our promotion rivals are left to put more points on the board.

And, when would the Doncaster chairman like his team to resume playing ? This Saturday at home to Watford or next Tuesday at home to Derby or does he feel that those teams might be too strong too given his squads current injury worries.

It all seems very dodgy to me and if the postponement is allowed what a precedent that could set.

The club confirms the game goes ahead as planned on Twitter. Chris Goreham also confirms they know nothing of any request by Doncaster to postpone.

Let them call it off, but we get compensation and a "automatic" 3-0 victory.

They might want to give ut a go then.

The funny thing is, if they make all this fuss and it still goes ahead, Ryan''s plea''s might turn out to be a good bit of gamesmanship-they feel wronged and play for their lives, we are a little but relaxed, complacent even...

Shouldn''t be called off, end of. If they can put out eleven players, there is no debate to be had.

Old Shuck, with respect with their numbers injured and if the Scum beat them 6-0, I''d want to play. Goal difference could be important, and if this is a good chance to get a good scoreline on the board, we need to take it.

The website doesn''t exist CT. It came up with an error message. I hope it hasn''t been removed because it''s now being called off! What did it say?

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Old Shuck, with respect with their numbers injured and if the Scum beat them 6-0, I''d want to play. Goal difference could be important, and if this is a good chance to get a good scoreline on the board, we need to take it.[/quote]Isn''t anyone else a little bit worried about the ''inevitability'' of us getting a result tonight? Donny will come here with absolutely nothing to lose, and will start the game with 11 fit professional footballers. All this talk of damage limitation is surely just a smokescreen - O''Driscoll isn''t going to tell them ''go out there and try to keep it single figures'', is he? I''m sure Lambert and the players won''t be as complacent as some of our supporters are being, especially given our iffy home record this season. Reality check time, methinks...

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="TheGoogler"]Old Shuck, with respect with their numbers injured and if the Scum beat them 6-0, I''d want to play. Goal difference could be important, and if this is a good chance to get a good scoreline on the board, we need to take it.[/quote]
Isn''t anyone else a little bit worried about the ''inevitability'' of us getting a result tonight? Donny will come here with absolutely nothing to lose, and will start the game with 11 fit professional footballers. All this talk of damage limitation is surely just a smokescreen - O''Driscoll isn''t going to tell them ''go out there and try to keep it single figures'', is he? I''m sure Lambert and the players won''t be as complacent as some of our supporters are being, especially given our iffy home record this season. Reality check time, methinks...
[/quote]

I agree Norwich need to go into the game in the normal professional way and not take into consideration the injuries of the other side

Good point Googler.

I am a tad concerned that we will all go out there tonight and speculate how many we are going to win by, however...

The longer we go without scoring, the more restless a more than expectant crowd becomes-we over stretch, try too hard, they make a break and score...seen it before at Carrow Road, Bradford City a number of years back a good example...

We were on a great run of wins, they could barely buy a goal...they won!

I know Lambert will be somewhat keen to remind the players to focus, no matter what the circumstances-but Donny will now feel wronged, backs to the wall, wounded animal with nothing to lose...it worries me!

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="TheGoogler"]Old Shuck, with respect with their numbers injured and if the Scum beat them 6-0, I''d want to play. Goal difference could be important, and if this is a good chance to get a good scoreline on the board, we need to take it.[/quote]
Isn''t anyone else a little bit worried about the ''inevitability'' of us getting a result tonight? Donny will come here with absolutely nothing to lose, and will start the game with 11 fit professional footballers. All this talk of damage limitation is surely just a smokescreen - O''Driscoll isn''t going to tell them ''go out there and try to keep it single figures'', is he? I''m sure Lambert and the players won''t be as complacent as some of our supporters are being, especially given our iffy home record this season. Reality check time, methinks...
[/quote]

Totally agree Coelho. I think it''s quite clever of Donny to do this, there will be massive pressure on us to get a result now with their unsettling tactics - Tonight will be a true test of our mettle i feel, always hard to get a result when it''s EXPECTED and Donny will be well aware of that. Well done Donny.

I sympathised with them before but now they''ve thrown their toys out of the pram, i hope we thrash them 37-0....

I never said a result was inevitable. I said it was a good chance to improve on our goal difference. I, for one, would want to play the game, not take a 3-0 automatic victory.