Sign in to follow this  
Pabs

Team for Barnsley

I would love to see Lambert experiment with a 4-5-1 for Barnsley away, considering we have a full compliment of midfielders but only one striker who knows where the goal is, so:

Ruddy

R Martin Ward Whitbread Tierney

K Smith Crofts

Lansbury Hoolahan Surman

Holt

I think this could work so well, with the top 3 midfielders we could just pick our way through teams. It might seem harsh to drop Fox, but I think Korey offers solidity for away games.

I would also like to see Tierney given a chance. I am not basing this purely on Drury''s own goal, but would like to see the new man perform and think he looks quite hard and strong. Drury has struggled in the last two games too.

Im up to Barnsley for this (staying in Sheffield) Come on boys!

As it is difficult to see Willbraham scoring, Johnson is away and Martin unfit, and clearlyJackson is not considered.

I feel that Jackson is a first division striker at best, and preferred Martin to him, but Jackson is the only effective striker we have on the books. He does have the virtue of pace as well. PL seemed to value him late in 2010, but now seems to have given up on him.

So, we are already playing with only one effective striker, and the question becomes who would provide better service Willbraham or one of the midfield like Surman? I think that there is no dispute, Surman provides more and is more likely to score.

I still hope that PL will find a goal scorer on loan, but I am not optimistic, unless PL will go for experience rather than youth. Someone like Phillips would score goals and also be a good model for younger strikers.

The major worry about playing with a single striker, and one who misses good chances, is not that we shall fail to score, - the midfield and defence are our leading scorer collectively. It is that Holty may be injured or suspended.

Ruddy

R.Martin   Ward    Whitbread   Drury

Croft        Fox

Lansbury                           Surman

Hoolihan

Holt

This would be an alternative team - similar to mine except Drury and Fox in for Tierney and K Smith. This would be a more likely option to be honest, but I just think Tierney and K Smith deserve a chance and may freshen things up a little.

I remember when Lambert first came in, he went for Smith because he had ''legs''! I think that is just what we need at the moment - energy, buzz, enthusiasm. I like Fox, and his passing is great, but sometimes he is a bit statuesque and away from home doesn''t do much defensively.

ruddy

r martin ward whitbread drury

crofts fox surman

lansbury hoolahan

holt

Allowing us to push both lansbury and hoolahan to join holt when in attack and alternate to cause problems for defenders on who to pick up. But also allow for both of them to alternate going back to help defend.

The midfield three to support and offer runs and excellent delivery (surman). I would like to see Tierney have a run out but maybe right now not the right move, I like the long throw if we bring Wilby on.

Think we could comfortably defend with the 7 in midfield and defensive back four and allow the other three to jink, run and pick the right pass to allow us to break teams down.

He can play what ever team or formation he likes as long as the way we play is like the last 10 mins of the Donny match and not like the previous 85 mins !It all about attitude and desire to win, up the tempo lads and close down on the opposition.