Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Henri Lansbury - is he actually that good?

I am becoming increasingly concerned with the effect lansbury''s presence has had on our midfield balance in recent games. He seems to care and I know he has popped up with some important goals. There is also no doubt that he has some talent and is technically decent. 2 or 3 times a game he will come up with a bit of quality play. However, is that enough?

Against leeds, and again last night i felt that we seemed outnumbered and, at times, overwhelmed down the flanks in midfield and on the left in particular. Lansbury seems to disappear from games for long periods quite regularly and i''m just not sure we wouldn''t be better off going with Korey or (when fit) Surman in there for a bit more balance. What does anyone else think?

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

I am becoming increasingly concerned with the effect lansbury''s presence has had on our midfield balance in recent games. He seems to care and I know he has popped up with some important goals. There is also no doubt that he has some talent and is technically decent. 2 or 3 times a game he will come up with a bit of quality play. However, is that enough?

Against leeds, and again last night i felt that we seemed outnumbered and, at times, overwhelmed down the flanks in midfield and on the left in particular. Lansbury seems to disappear from games for long periods quite regularly and i''m just not sure we wouldn''t be better off going with Korey or (when fit) Surman in there for a bit more balance. What does anyone else think?

[/quote]I agree. When I saw him against the scum I thought wow, we have one helluva'' player on our hands but since then -excluding his goals- he really hasn''t added much to the team. Against Reading & Leeds (the last 2 games I have seen) he hasn''t contributed anything other than his goals. He has obvious potential but maybe as you say Korey should be given a go as a bit more of a balanced, ball-winning midfielder.

I agree. Technically a very good player but he didn''t look that bothered last night and doesn''t seem to want to track back or win the ball like Fox, Crofts and even Wes likes to get chase the ball sometimes (well when he doesn''t just tug a player''s shirt!). Lansbury''s certainly creative, a bit of a luxury player - I''m glad he''s at the club but like any loan player, they''re not exactly playing for their future, it''s more of a case of doing their time in the lower leagues. It''s not just the Arsenal loan factor, but he reminds me a bit of David Bentley. Loads of skill but his heart hardly pumps yellow and green blood around his body. Would rather see Korey, can''t beat a home grown player compared to a big time Charlie!

[quote user="pete"]PL and Arsene Wenger seem to think he''s capable enough.[/quote]

I am not questioning whether he''s capable i am questioning whether he brings sufficient benefits to the team to justify leaving the others out/leaving us a bit light in midfield. I am increasingly of the view that maybe we should only be starting one of Hoolahan and Lansbury and for me the former wins hands down.

I think he''s good for us but I''m unconvinced that he''d be good for Arsenal.

I also don''t think he should be played on the left of midfield, it doesn''t suit him. I''d be surprised if Lambert went with that against Barnsley.

He made some good runs in to space last night, unfortunately no one played the ball through to him

Technically i believe he`s inferior to Surman and Hooly (though i appreciate he`s that bit younger). I`m glad he came back and his recent finishes have been excellent,but i share your doubts Jim.

Very much an attacking midfielder and leaves Russell Martin a bit exposed from time to time. Midfield does not look balanced particularly if we played Lansbury, Hoolahan, and Surman at same time.I also feel it is a case of either Fox or Crofts playing the central defensive role. We look a bit more organised with Lappin on the left who covers Drury much better.

Somehow Lambert has to sort out his best midfield as it is noticeable that for example last night a poor team were able to get through to a quickly exposed defence quiet easily. Lansbury has potential and has already scored important goals but he is far from the finished product, which is probably why he is here.

I have no idea and it is just more from press/paper talk but does arsene wenger only allow his players to go out on loan if they are going to get game time. As lansbury will get beter coaching at arsenal and the only thing better than world class coaching is game time.

I thought he was poor last night, first time I''ve seen him live. Theres no doubting the lads ability, but he didnt look too interested IMO for long periods.Reminds me of a young David Bentley...........

Another problem is that all four midfield players are very similar in respect that they all love getting on the ball, Wes seemed to always be ahead of Lansbury when it came to getting the ball, Fox like it at his feet, Crofts likes it as his feet and they all just seemed to be chasing the same pass. Too much of the same for me, which makes certain people ineffective, would have loved to seen us go flat 4-4-2, we were so narrow at times.

He''s not winger, and were is he played, on the wing.Ipswich he played straight down the middle, what was the outcome!He should be centre mid with Fox, Surman to the left, Croft''s to the right.

you''ve just solved a problem and given yourself another, Andrew Crofts is less of a winger than Lansbury........... although I do agree I think Henri could be more effective in the middle.

I dont think anyone can doubt Lansbury has talent, but i feel we definetely miss Korey Smiths energy in midfield, i think Lansbury has a greater range of passing and is more of a goal threat, but Korey gives bite and running to the midfield and we all notice that more when things arnt going our way or need to be more agressive.

To be honest, I too don''t think he brings too much to the team. Far too attacking to play him and Hoolahan. I''d rather see Korey Smith or Lappin brought in (if fit, obviously) to hopefully bring much more structure and balance in the midfield.

Ruddy
Martin Edwards Whitbread Drury
Crofts
Smith Lappin
Hoolahan
Martin Holt

Pretty much same as last season, or Surman in for Lappin.

[quote user="Barnett is King"]

To be honest, I too don''t think he brings too much to the team. Far too attacking to play him and Hoolahan. I''d rather see Korey Smith or Lappin brought in (if fit, obviously) to hopefully bring much more structure and balance in the midfield.

Ruddy
Crofts
Smith Lappin
Hoolahan
Martin Holt

[/quote]

I honestly can''t see how Korey is better than Fox.

Sooooooooo.... it''s ok to doubt his ability, but don''t whatever you do criticise his prattish ''celebration''.You lot really have lost the plot. 

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]Sooooooooo.... it''s ok to doubt his ability, but don''t whatever you do criticise his prattish ''celebration''.

You lot really have lost the plot. 
[/quote]

I take it you havent been practising the dougie then? (or whatever it was called)

[quote user="Crofts Number 1 Fan"][quote user="Barnett is King"]

Ruddy
Crofts
Smith Lappin
Hoolahan
Martin Holt

[/quote]

I honestly can''t see how Korey is better than Fox.

[/quote]

Well I like both. I wanna play both Crofts and Fox, but it is hard to play both at the same time. Because we can''t exactly play Crofts or Fox on the right. How about a 4-4-1-1 if our other strikers aren''t peforming. Something like :

Ruddy
Martin Ward* Whitbread Drury
K.Smith** Crofts Fox Surman
Hoolahan
Holt

?
* or Edwards, don''t mind.
** or Lansbury
possibly? Works for spurs with VDV as Hoolahan. [Y]

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]Sooooooooo.... it''s ok to doubt his ability, but don''t whatever you do criticise his prattish ''celebration''.You lot really have lost the plot.  [/quote]

I take it you havent been practising the dougie then? (or whatever it was called)

[/quote]I gave it a go but always ended up walking back to the centre circle with my arm in the air.Maybe I''m just too manly.  [;)]