Sign in to follow this  
Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . .

Our luck has finally ran out.

No good feeling sorry for ourselves, we were poor but we are only 3 points from top 2 ffs!! I believe lambert will get a striker in soon

Not a disaster, but highlights the need for another proven striker.  We can make up for it away to Barnsley on Saturday, hopefully with a new striker.

Amazing isn''t it - to all intents and purposes not a lot has changed, but it will be doom and gloom from the usual quarters: we drew a game we should have won, it is as simple as that - these things happen. It is how we respond that is the most important thing.

It''s not all doom and gloom but we should have won tonight. The top 4 all won so it''s 2 points dropped on everyone else.

Bit of a kick in the teeth but you move on.

FFS it''s one game, every other team in the championship will drop points over last part of the season. There''ll be plenty of twists and turns yet, we all need to stop being so fickle.

If we feel bad just imagine Forest who drew at home against the bottom club Preston and also lost recently against Scunthorpe.  There will be a lot more twists and turns before the end of the season.

A new striker in! Why do we need that when Jackson comes on for Hools I was certain we would score (NOT). With only one striker who can score we are not going anywhere even if we make the play offs.Last year both Holt and Martin were banging them in now its just HoltAnd it will take big money to get a good goal scorer at this time of the season and I just do not see us doing it this year especially after the on off deal with Elliot Bennett where prudence obviously overcame ambition once again

I can''t recall a moment were ''luck'' was involved with a NCFC goal. They''ve all been created from determination and skill.The only luck I''ve seen recently was Doncasters corner off Drury''s head.

Irrespective of what the other results were, this was an awful result against a club that could barely put out a team. Of course such results happen to all sides over time but so what? Not only do we struggle to score with any forward other than Holty (thank goodness our midfield come up with goals) but our defence isn''t quite good enough to get us up. Still we are well on course for the play-offs and a trip to Wembley would be a bonus this season. Let''s not forget this has been a season of over achievement and well done to the lads for that.

bad result but its a competitive league, all the top teams will slip up over the coming weeks (just like forest did the other night) but this division has been like that for years.

having said that its pretty clear wilbraham and jackson cant cut it and they need to splash the cash. I hope the board realise the juice is worth the squeeeeeeeze

[quote user="CJ"]A new striker in! Why do we need that when Jackson comes on for Hools I was certain we would score (NOT). With only one striker who can score we are not going anywhere even if we make the play offs.Last year both Holt and Martin were banging them in now its just HoltAnd it will take big money to get a good goal scorer at this time of the season and I just do not see us doing it this year especially after the on off deal with Elliot Bennett where prudence obviously overcame ambition once again[/quote]We made two £1m+ bids for a player with no experience at Championship level, and the club turned the bids down. You can hardly accuse Lambert of being prudent rather than ambitious, can you? He''s not daft - he can see the need for another striker, he just didn''t have time to make it happen as Martin was injured so recently. 15 weeks left of the season, we could get a Premiership-quality striker on loan at about £20k a week, paying about £300k in total... do you seriously think Lambert will just go with Wilbraham and Jackson? I''ll eat a big slice of humble pie if I''m wrong, but I''d be very surprised if we don''t have a good striker in on loan by the end of the week (or next week at the latest).

Keep yer peckers up! But for a rare Drury mistake we''d have won and no one would be complaining. We have a team that will keep coming back time and again. Hopefully Lambert will find the right striker to bring in to play alongside Holt. We just need a boost for the run in.

Coelho,

I think we need a new striker too, but I think you''re being a bit unrealistic with your figures. A Premiership quality striker may cost £20k a week, but if we loan one in it won''t just be the wages we pay, but in all probability a loan fee as well, which could well add another 200K to 300k on to the wages making a total of about £600k for 15 weeks.

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="CJ"]A new striker in! Why do we need that when Jackson comes on for Hools I was certain we would score (NOT). With only one striker who can score we are not going anywhere even if we make the play offs.Last year both Holt and Martin were banging them in now its just HoltAnd it will take big money to get a good goal scorer at this time of the season and I just do not see us doing it this year especially after the on off deal with Elliot Bennett where prudence obviously overcame ambition once again[/quote]We made two £1m+ bids for a player with no experience at Championship level, and the club turned the bids down. You can hardly accuse Lambert of being prudent rather than ambitious, can you? He''s not daft - he can see the need for another striker, he just didn''t have time to make it happen as Martin was injured so recently. 15 weeks left of the season, we could get a Premiership-quality striker on loan at about £20k a week, paying about £300k in total... do you seriously think Lambert will just go with Wilbraham and Jackson? I''ll eat a big slice of humble pie if I''m wrong, but I''d be very surprised if we don''t have a good striker in on loan by the end of the week (or next week at the latest).[/quote]Well I will go out and buy the Humble Pie now! I am certain that Lambert unlike Say Sven does not like to get big name players who will disrupt the team cohesion hence Bennett was so important. The Board do not seem to realise this is a one year deal only , in that if we do not go up this season Lambert will be gone as he will get offers from clubs where cash is not such an issue

[quote user="CJ"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="CJ"]A new striker in! Why do we need that when Jackson comes on for Hools I was certain we would score (NOT). With only one striker who can score we are not going anywhere even if we make the play offs.Last year both Holt and Martin were banging them in now its just HoltAnd it will take big money to get a good goal scorer at this time of the season and I just do not see us doing it this year especially after the on off deal with Elliot Bennett where prudence obviously overcame ambition once again[/quote]We made two £1m+ bids for a player with no experience at Championship level, and the club turned the bids down. You can hardly accuse Lambert of being prudent rather than ambitious, can you? He''s not daft - he can see the need for another striker, he just didn''t have time to make it happen as Martin was injured so recently. 15 weeks left of the season, we could get a Premiership-quality striker on loan at about £20k a week, paying about £300k in total... do you seriously think Lambert will just go with Wilbraham and Jackson? I''ll eat a big slice of humble pie if I''m wrong, but I''d be very surprised if we don''t have a good striker in on loan by the end of the week (or next week at the latest).[/quote]Well I will go out and buy the Humble Pie now! I am certain that Lambert unlike Say Sven does not like to get big name players who will disrupt the team cohesion hence Bennett was so important. The Board do not seem to realise this is a one year deal only , in that if we do not go up this season Lambert will be gone as he will get offers from clubs where cash is not such an issue[/quote]Never mind that, Lambert wants promotion on his CV, he has Foulger''s £2m in his budget and he is not daft. He knows Wilbraham and Jackson are not good enough, and I trust him to find someone who is. As for the other poster (Lizard?), okay, point taken - but surely £500k now is peanuts compared to the riches on offer if we do go up? It''s hardly like the board would veto that, is it? They said the £2m is for Lambert to spend on the playing squad - the ball''s in his court, and he doesn''t strike me as the prudent type.And as for dressing-room harmony, I don''t think a Yakubu/Routledge/Chimbonda kind of signing is what Lambert wants either. Bearing in mind Prem clubs can no longer bring loan players in from other Prem clubs, some surplus players will become available for loans to Championship clubs. If he brings in a striker of the Lansbury model (ie. young, hungry, great technique), it could make the difference. Off the top of my head, I''m thinking someone like Nathan Delfouneso at Villa?

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Amazing isn''t it - to all intents and purposes not a lot has changed, but it will be doom and gloom from the usual quarters: we drew a game we should have won, it is as simple as that - these things happen. It is how we respond that is the most important thing.[/quote]

To all intents and purposes not a lot has changed, but a lot *could* have changed. We were 7ish minutes away from putting ourselves right in the mix for auto AND putting a bit of daylight between us, Leeds and Leicester. And that despite a pretty dire performance. I think that accounts for what doom and gloom there is; it certainly accounts for the fact that I kicked at the cobbles all the way home. It''s not a disaster. We''re still in a good position, but we could have been in a better position. What concerns me is that this should have been one of our easier games - there are some toughies coming up. And the truth is that we''re not so good a side that we can afford not to put away sides when we have the chance. We''ve got attitude and character in abundance and we play nice football, but, for all our rightly heralded attacking play, we lack a consistent cutting edge.

I hope that doesn''t sound like too much of a moan. We''ve done brilliantly to get where we are and we still have a real chance of promotion. What''s more, we have a team that I feel genuinely proud to go and watch. Nonetheless, if we really do want to get out of this division, we must must must start converting our chances.

I thought this was a league, and it''s 46 games.

There''s going to be twists and turns.

Unexpected results happen, tis is life. Why bookies take bets as the favourities don''t always win.

Hopefully, lambert and the team will bounce back against Barnsley. We dont usually have two bad games in a row.

Never know might turn out to be a blessing, with loan signins who knows.

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="CJ"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="CJ"]A new striker in! Why do we need that when Jackson comes on for Hools I was certain we would score (NOT). With only one striker who can score we are not going anywhere even if we make the play offs.Last year both Holt and Martin were banging them in now its just HoltAnd it will take big money to get a good goal scorer at this time of the season and I just do not see us doing it this year especially after the on off deal with Elliot Bennett where prudence obviously overcame ambition once again[/quote]We made two £1m+ bids for a player with no experience at Championship level, and the club turned the bids down. You can hardly accuse Lambert of being prudent rather than ambitious, can you? He''s not daft - he can see the need for another striker, he just didn''t have time to make it happen as Martin was injured so recently. 15 weeks left of the season, we could get a Premiership-quality striker on loan at about £20k a week, paying about £300k in total... do you seriously think Lambert will just go with Wilbraham and Jackson? I''ll eat a big slice of humble pie if I''m wrong, but I''d be very surprised if we don''t have a good striker in on loan by the end of the week (or next week at the latest).[/quote]Well I will go out and buy the Humble Pie now! I am certain that Lambert unlike Say Sven does not like to get big name players who will disrupt the team cohesion hence Bennett was so important. The Board do not seem to realise this is a one year deal only , in that if we do not go up this season Lambert will be gone as he will get offers from clubs where cash is not such an issue[/quote]Never mind that, Lambert wants promotion on his CV, he has Foulger''s £2m in his budget and he is not daft. He knows Wilbraham and Jackson are not good enough, and I trust him to find someone who is. As for the other poster (Lizard?), okay, point taken - but surely £500k now is peanuts compared to the riches on offer if we do go up? It''s hardly like the board would veto that, is it? They said the £2m is for Lambert to spend on the playing squad - the ball''s in his court, and he doesn''t strike me as the prudent type.And as for dressing-room harmony, I don''t think a Yakubu/Routledge/Chimbonda kind of signing is what Lambert wants either. Bearing in mind Prem clubs can no longer bring loan players in from other Prem clubs, some surplus players will become available for loans to Championship clubs. If he brings in a striker of the Lansbury model (ie. young, hungry, great technique), it could make the difference. Off the top of my head, I''m thinking someone like Nathan Delfouneso at Villa?[/quote]Why do you have so much faith in Lambert bringing in somebody who will be able to find the back of the net?Who brought in both Wilbraham and Jackson?For what it''s worth I think that Jackson is up to this level of football and if he doesn''t score goals for us then it will be down to poor management and not building a team that supplies him with the kind of chances he thrives off.  If Simeon Jackson doesn''t score lots of goals for us then he will do it for another club at this level.  Wilbraham however was puching above his weight in the 3rd tier and he hardly scored loads at that level.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="CJ"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="CJ"]A new striker in! Why do we need that when Jackson comes on for Hools I was certain we would score (NOT). With only one striker who can score we are not going anywhere even if we make the play offs.Last year both Holt and Martin were banging them in now its just HoltAnd it will take big money to get a good goal scorer at this time of the season and I just do not see us doing it this year especially after the on off deal with Elliot Bennett where prudence obviously overcame ambition once again[/quote]We made two £1m+ bids for a player with no experience at Championship level, and the club turned the bids down. You can hardly accuse Lambert of being prudent rather than ambitious, can you? He''s not daft - he can see the need for another striker, he just didn''t have time to make it happen as Martin was injured so recently. 15 weeks left of the season, we could get a Premiership-quality striker on loan at about £20k a week, paying about £300k in total... do you seriously think Lambert will just go with Wilbraham and Jackson? I''ll eat a big slice of humble pie if I''m wrong, but I''d be very surprised if we don''t have a good striker in on loan by the end of the week (or next week at the latest).[/quote]Well I will go out and buy the Humble Pie now! I am certain that Lambert unlike Say Sven does not like to get big name players who will disrupt the team cohesion hence Bennett was so important. The Board do not seem to realise this is a one year deal only , in that if we do not go up this season Lambert will be gone as he will get offers from clubs where cash is not such an issue[/quote]Never mind that, Lambert wants promotion on his CV, he has Foulger''s £2m in his budget and he is not daft. He knows Wilbraham and Jackson are not good enough, and I trust him to find someone who is. As for the other poster (Lizard?), okay, point taken - but surely £500k now is peanuts compared to the riches on offer if we do go up? It''s hardly like the board would veto that, is it? They said the £2m is for Lambert to spend on the playing squad - the ball''s in his court, and he doesn''t strike me as the prudent type.And as for dressing-room harmony, I don''t think a Yakubu/Routledge/Chimbonda kind of signing is what Lambert wants either. Bearing in mind Prem clubs can no longer bring loan players in from other Prem clubs, some surplus players will become available for loans to Championship clubs. If he brings in a striker of the Lansbury model (ie. young, hungry, great technique), it could make the difference. Off the top of my head, I''m thinking someone like Nathan Delfouneso at Villa?[/quote]Why do you have so much faith in Lambert bringing in somebody who will be able to find the back of the net?Who brought in both Wilbraham and Jackson?For what it''s worth I think that Jackson is up to this level of football and if he doesn''t score goals for us then it will be down to poor management and not building a team that supplies him with the kind of chances he thrives off.  If Simeon Jackson doesn''t score lots of goals for us then he will do it for another club at this level.  Wilbraham however was puching above his weight in the 3rd tier and he hardly scored loads at that level.[/quote]Time will tell, Smudge. Granted Jackson and Wilbraham have not been particularly successful, but my point is simply that Lambert must recognise they''re not good enough. If he doesn''t bring a striker in, I think a lot of people would be critical of that, irrespective of how highly they regard Lambert. It''s just a case of who he brings in, and how they perform.

Smudger spot on! cant believe Lambert waited til 88 minutes to bring Jackson on last nite and that was only after Donny scored when just about everybody else could see that Wilbraham was struggling in front of goal!!!

[quote user="fearofambition"]Had to happen eventually. No new striker, no top 6 finish.
[/quote]

This only deserves a one word answer COBBLERS

[quote user="fearofambition"]Had to happen eventually. No new striker, no top 6 finish.[/quote]

Why dont you just F..ck off back to where you came from, sorry not a constructive comment but reflective of my thoughts tonight towards those, like you who are seeking to bring us down. We are doing great so why not celebrate the fact that we are 5th in the League!