Sign in to follow this  
Ernie

Should have signed a striker in Jan

I really was hoping this wasn''t going to come back and bite us in the arse but with the Strikers we have available (if you take Holt out) it is never going to be enough to push the top 2, now I worry we might fall out of the play offs.  Trying to get a decent striker in now is and will prove to be extremely difficult.  With most the other teams around us having strenghten to take advantage of a very tight league I fear we might have missed one of the best oppotunities we could have had perhaps for years to come to get back to the Premier league.  I dont buy into look at where we were 2 years ago etc, well what about when we were playing and beating Bayern or finishing 3rd in the Premier league?  Its just not relevant anymore.  The performance against Doncaster simply put was not good enough, mind you had we signed another striker capable of scoring from 3 yards out we still would have won.

Coulda woulda shoulda. Yes we should although all depends on cash, I think we were saving it all for the winger deal which fell through and by which time, the window had closed.

Now it''s probably a case of whom and how much.

Of course we should have made more effort for a couple of decent players.

A striker was always a must, i think another midfielder was also needed.

I really think we are two players short of automatic promotion.,

We wont get that now, so lets bloody hope we make the play offs.

[quote user="AndyJR"]Coulda woulda shoulda. Yes we should although all depends on cash, I think we were saving it all for the winger deal which fell through and by which time, the window had closed. Now it''s probably a case of whom and how much.[/quote]

But now we know we had at least 2 million to play with.

[quote user="the1englishman"]Of course we should have made more effort for a couple of decent players. A striker was always a must, i think another midfielder was also needed. I really think we are two players short of automatic promotion., We wont get that now, so lets bloody hope we make the play offs.[/quote]

Which is where the frustration comes from, you could see it, I could see it in fact just about every Norwich City supporter could, yet it still didnt happen.

Martin was coming in for a bit of stick by some but it''s noticable that we haven''t won either game since he''s been injured .

We did sign a striker in January, in Wilbry. But his goals to games ratio is something like 1 in 4.3 which is poor. I think he was laywas brought ina a last 10 throw everything we have at them rather than score loads!

[quote user="yoda"]Martin was coming in for a bit of stick by some but it''s noticable that we haven''t won either game since he''s been injured .[/quote]

Better than what we  have got left and offers alot more, but still wasn''t scoring.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

We did sign a striker in January, in Wilbry. But his goals to games ratio is something like 1 in 4.3 which is poor. I think he was laywas brought ina a last 10 throw everything we have at them rather than score loads!

[/quote]

I dont believe he was brought in for anything more than a Holt back up/ last 10 mins of a game.  What we really needed was a proven goal scorer to help us over the line.

[quote user="Ernie"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

I dont believe he was brought in for anything more than a Holt back up/ last 10 mins of a game.  What we really needed was a proven goal scorer to help us over the line.

[/quote]

We always seem to make the same mistake, most supporters would agree with the fact that we needed a decent striker and a Huckerby type playerand I honestly thought we were going to get them, Okay we went for bennet and didn''t get him but we needed a striker and Wilbraham is all we got, well I think this decision will come home to roost.

[quote user="Planet X"][quote user="Ernie"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We always seem to make the same mistake, most supporters would agree with the fact that we needed a decent striker and a Huckerby type player
and I honestly thought we were going to get them, Okay we went for bennet and didn''t get him but we needed a striker and Wilbraham is all we got, well I think this decision will come home to roost.

Exactly my point, just look at what happened last time we went for it in the Jan window eg: Huckerby, Couch and Harper
[/quote]

The club is clearly being run by a bunch of w,nkers eh? They have no ambition and understanding, as you do, of football. When you eventually pull you head out of your ar.s dont forget to wipe behind your ears!

You''re right and I am glad someone has the balls to say it, why oh why didn''t we sign Drogba???? He''s down the pecking order at Chelski an here we are with no money and fans who boo a draw.....screw this board and their lack of ambition...we deserve to be in the Prem, screw everyone!

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]The club is clearly being run by a bunch of w,nkers eh? They have no ambition and understanding, as you do, of football. When you eventually pull you head out of your ar.s dont forget to wipe behind your ears![/quote]

I have followed Norwich for over 35 years home and away through thick and thin.  Just because you dont like a person opinion doesnt automatically make them an arse as you put.  I suspect most if not all supporters wanted to see at least a new striker, whats so wrong with that?  The club has been turned around in the last 2 years  and no one would argue that point but we are where we are now and should continue to strive for bigger and better things, if not whats the point?

I didnt call you an arse Ernie, forgive me if that`s the way it came accross, what I was suggesting was that your head was up your arse, and all I was saying is that when you eventually exract it you should wipe behind your ears, as they can pick up fecal deposits on the way out!

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]I didnt call you an arse Ernie, forgive me if that`s the way it came accross, what I was suggesting was that your head was up your arse, and all I was saying is that when you eventually exract it you should wipe behind your ears, as they can pick up fecal deposits on the way out![/quote]

Charming and constructive.

thefutureisyellow, I rather enjoy the way you mask your lack of ambition with gutter humour. Rather amusing really.Anyway, Ernie wasn''t having a go at the board, or the way the club is run, or the booing fans. He simply put forward a valid point that many of the teams around us have recognized how tight the race is this season, and have strengthened the squad with strikers. Whereas we have not. And such a decision may well cost us a shot at the Premier League. Fair point I think.How fast did it take to identify and sign a replacement for Barnett? Seemed to be 48 hours almost. So either they already had the deal in the works after the Doc was sold, or they know how to move quickly to find players.Hence, If we needed a striker by Saturday, we''d probably be able to get. So in my opinion, which probably wont mean much to you, but here you have it anyway, the club are satisfied with the strike force we have.P.S. We are where we in the league, right NOW, due to hard work and determination. To let such a chance go would be a slap in the face to the players who put in the sweat, passion and effort to get us here.Yes NCFC have achieved great things in the last 18 months, but does that mean we have to give up on what could be a great season?

[quote user="yoda"]Martin was coming in for a bit of stick by some but it''s noticable that we haven''t won either game since he''s been injured .[/quote]

Do we actually know what sort of hamstring injury Chrissie has got and how long he may be out.?

Milehigh, I have been banging the same drum as you for years and to be accused of lack of ambition is bizarre. I take your point about bringing in a replacement for Barnett at short notice, but we dont know if the replacement is any good yet do we. My point is that I am sure Lambert would have brought someone in if he could have done, someone who would improve the squad, with the emphasis on improve! I have seen so man journeymen brought in over the years, often for big money, I have confidence that Lambert will bring in someone with quality when he does. He is a great manager and for now I have confidence in his abilty to buy players at the right price, He surely wants promotion just as much as we do!

[quote user="cityangel"]

Do we actually know what sort of hamstring injury Chrissie has got and how long he may be out.?

[/quote]

I suspect we will know more after tomorrow''s press conference

[quote user="alysha canarygirl"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So do we?

I dont actually think we need this Huckerby type player Bennett is supposed to be.  We were willing to spend millions on Bennett but I think spending millions on a striker would have been a much better option.  Our already very creative midfield have created plenty of chances all season we just need someone to put some more of those chances away and someone who can score the odd half chance.

I''m still hoping for a loan striker to be brought in.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="alysha canarygirl"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So do we?

[/quote]

Not that I know of, Lambert usually gives an update on how the injured are doing, he mentioned Lappin was back at Colney after his operation, but I dont think anything has been reported regarding C.Martin

[quote user="Boyo''"]

I dont actually think we need this Huckerby type player Bennett is supposed to be.  We were willing to spend millions on Bennett but I think spending millions on a striker would have been a much better option.  Our already very creative midfield have created plenty of chances all season we just need someone to put some more of those chances away and someone who can score the odd half chance.

I''m still hoping for a loan striker to be brought in.

[/quote="Ernie"]

Agreed.  Even against Doncaster which was a very poor performance we still created enough clear cut chances to have won the game comfortably if we had someone else other than Holt up top who could score.  If we are being honest here how many other games have we created plenty of chances but not converted them, particually when on top in games.  We have managed to get out of jail numerous times with last minute goals but we cant get away with it forever and nor will we, the fact that we didnt get a striker in Jan which is the most key position on the pitch, is, and I hate to say it but a crazy decision.  Good strikers get you promoted and can single handledly save you from relegation.  Strenghtening from a position of strenght is always the best way forward, now we are left fire fighting as we gambled that what we had would be good enough (and how many supporters really thought our strikers would be good enough, Holt excluded) without having to push the boat out.  Fingers crossed we can still get someone in who can do a job and with the grit and determination and no little ability of our players still push for auto and after the season we have had, at the very least stay in the top 6th.