Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Hux so wright

Hux quote from latest article is to effect that he cant recall a goal rcently when we did not give the opponents a helping hand is scoring it by making a silly mistake.

Never a truer word spoken, the majority of the mistakes come from the defence but it includes his own lack of cover in left midfield, although I doubt he reflected on that whne making his comments!

If he can see it why cant Worthy see how many goals are down to defensive errors?

OTBC

Got to be honest Zipper although I agree with you that its defensive errors I believe this is caused by the midfield and I dont think it would matter who you had in our back four.

If the midfield centre two sit to deep, they get in the way, they cause problems for our centre backs because they dont know if they are going to close down people approaching the edge of the D or if they should do that themselves.  As their sitting deep they offer no options to pass to, so the defence is hoofing the ball, which results in us being immediately under pressure, again because we are to deep and not their to receive and/or challenge for the ball.

Also what you pointed out, who plays left back is quite regularly exposed 2 on 1, when I''ve seen matches the opposition attacks are left flank an awful lot, and gets a lot of joy.

We may have defensive issues but I dont think we can really point the finger until the midfield is sorted out.

Yes there have been mistakes at the back BUT 2 goals scored in 7 games makes the attack just as culpable for our predicament and as the midfield shares responsibility for attack and defence that just about covers the entire team.

I''m not knocking him, because for me he has to be one of the first names on the team sheet (and at the moment i think only hucks, green and francis meet that criteria) , but when did he last score?

People in glass houses.....

Well i agree with what he''s saying, but its all well and good that he''s saying this, but its the defenders that need to take this on board and sort it out. Hux needs to concentrate on putting the ball in the back of the net and reproducing the kind of form that got us to where we are now. If he can deliver and build a great partnership with Deano then we shouldn''t have cause for concern.

I agree that we have weaknesses in midfield, however we have rarely put the best midfield out, weakening the left by playing Hux on the left, Bentley on the right instead of central etc and rarely having the best central midfield pairing Damo and Safri/Helveg. However the midfield has looked most vulnerable over the last few weeks when the midfield contained both Mullers and Brennan, and neither are up to prem standard so it is inevitable we will suffer

However in defence we have had our best back 4 available week in week out as we have fortunately not suffered too severely with injuries (Charlie currently excepted) here - yet they have consistently made schoolboy lapses in judgement/ability that have cost us goals. With the number of games they have played together it is not a question of getting used to each others approach - it is now more fundamental than that.

OTBC

I dont think the defence is totally to blame. they have made most of the mistakes but as soon as the play is never taken away from them though. (eg Villa)

however, i still say that its down to injuries

[quote]I agree that we have weaknesses in midfield, however we have rarely put the best midfield out, weakening the left by playing Hux on the left, Bentley on the right instead of central etc and rarely hav...[/quote]

Agree that we have rarely put out our best midfield, thats obviously the problem in my view, although I will reserve judgement on Brennan as I wouldnt of thought he is up to scratch having had an injury and then only playing a bit part.

If you note above I dont actually think it would matter who we play in defence, we will still ship alot of goals at the moment purely because of the afore mentioned midfield.  You put any defence under alot of pressure for 90 minutes and you will get results, case in point England, look at how many leads we surrendered of late because everyone has sat to deep and we do that for the whole match at the moment.  At that point it becomes a simple numbers game, someone will make a mistake with one of the through balls/crosses eventually.

I firmly believe when the midfield is up to scratch you will see alot less problems with the back 4. 

Zipper, I can only surmise what you''ll have to say about our defence after today, and I''ll probably agree with you!!

As for the others you''ve commented on negatively recently, I thought Brennan actually had a good game until he was sacrificed when we went 4-3-3 and I thought McKenzie made a big difference (after all it wasn''t long before Hucks drifted out wide again leaving Ashton isolated). Mulryne though, continues to disappoint, and I think at the time NW probably thought he had nothing to lose by replacing him with Holt.

McVeigh responded well to his public kicking replacing a fading MJ.