Sign in to follow this  
In Dubious Battle

Huckerby & Crouch

There must have been a dozen threads discussing possible loan options and I don''t think anybody has been able to come up with a suggestion that matches the quality of our loan signings of Huckerby & Crouch last time we were promoted. For some reason that standard of player has become unattainable for us. Who in the premiership at the moment would you rate as a similar standard to Huckerby & Crouch were in 2003/2004 and what chance would we have of signing them?

The thing with both Hucks and Crouch is that they were players out of the team at the clubs that they were at but were established and had top recommendations and reputations.

It''s tough to find like for like players because I suppose part of any player coming here has to be the player wanting to come here.

It''s a touch irrespective because we''re judging them now on what they''ve both achieved. (Crouch in the Champions League and Huckerby a City legend)But at the time of loaning them, similar players currently would probably be Ebanks-Blake, Simon Cox, Andy Reid.

I believe we only loaned Huckerby, as we had played against him (when on loan v Forest) and we couldnt live with him, we was already a top8 side at the time in the division and one of the best defences, so the gamble is minimal.

I really can''t think of anyone at this moment in time, who is similar to Huckerby maybe Wright-Phillips in dribbling and skill, but final third Huckerby was far better (i think).

Crouch i believe had just scored a shed load of goals for Portsmouth(when in championship)? or someone like that and been transferred for £5million? or around that mark was sitting wasting away in Villa''s reserves so that deal kind of suited both parties.

Most players now who have scored a decent figure in the championship are still with their respective clubs after promotion, or still in this division.

The only potentially, tasty player (many would hate this) would be Beckford.

I also think Norwich will be (i would) for a "cant recall" agreement so the lower league clubs in premiership will potentially against loaning 4 or 5 choices in cases of injuries and suspensions.

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "]There must have been a dozen threads discussing possible loan options and I don''t think anybody has been able to come up with a suggestion that matches the quality of our loan signings of Huckerby & Crouch last time we were promoted. For some reason that standard of player has become unattainable for us.

Who in the premiership at the moment would you rate as a similar standard to Huckerby & Crouch were in 2003/2004 and what chance would we have of signing them?

[/quote]

I think this is an interesting point. When we signed Huckerby , it was the most excited I have ever been by a loan. Hucks had been brilliant for Forest on loan the previous year (with Harewood?). He was also very expensive when we signed him at Christmas, and as a Man City player was on top dollar, with Mr Moore having to pay all or part of his wages. I think we simply don''t spend that sort of money of loan players now, strangely the last really expensive loanee was probably Lupoli who was on serious cash, and why Doomcaster shipped him off to Sheff Utd.  Lupoli was on more than the Arsenal players we had at the time. Crouch was different in that he was at a defining moment in his career at Villa. Still on big money I expect , bit noone quite knew how he would do.

Remember Scotty Parker? People forget that he almost relaunched his career at City. No idea what he was on at Charlton, but he would be on a lot more now!

Of course even then the club that owned the players registration payed most if not all of th eplayers his wages, unlike now when the loan club has to pay quite a high proportion.

If we signed a Huckerby / Crouch now on loan you would all be going mad ie we would be signing players that werent even playing for their perspective clubs and considered poo. Villa fans took the pi** at Crouch calling him Rodney Trotter. In fact just the other day these boards lit up when Leicester signed Yakubu stating he was crap and a has been ( because he wasnt playing for Everton ).

The other main reason is that we could not sign these type of players would be the wages of a good premiership player. If we were trying to sign a Crouch now it would likely cost us upwards of £200000 per month plus a mega signing on fee. Remember when we signed Crouch he was not an England centre forward he was a premiership failure, without us he would probably have dissappeared from English football like so many others.

[quote user="barclayboy1902"]wright-phillips and klasnic = no chance of getting them[/quote]SWP is a useless footballer, his crossing "abilities" makes Lee Croft look like Beckham.  I''d rather save the £80k a week and play Luke Daley for all the difference it would make.

How about Ryan Babbel as the modern day Huckerby?

Modern day Crouch - the 3 that spring to mind are Ebanks -Blake (already mentioned), Nugent and dare I say Jason Scotland (though they are both already back in the championship).