Sign in to follow this  
BoroughBoy

Booing your team off the pitch last night!!

[quote user="itstheruddyfuture"]Seems to me that all the booing must have come from the vocal Barclay fans (who are the real fans of course) because us old fogies in the Jarrold never say a peep and have seen it all before anyway. Mind you, people pay their money and are entitled to express their opinions, they were very average last night and if Paul Lambert and the team have raised expectations of late that can only be a good thing.[/quote]

Not just the South Stand I''m afraid.  I sit in the Upper Barclay and the attitude of the people around me never ceases to amaze me.  One guy behind me was actually moaning about Korey Smith before he had even touched the ball.  Apparently he is absolutely (actually he used a word starting with f) useless.

I think that the problem is that most people from Norfolk have a brain the size of a pea.

[quote user="Lincoln Yellow"]It''s because we have a bunch of old cretins and they criticise everything win or f*ucking lose. Absolute bunch of jokers. [/quote]

I think you will find young man that was a group of  thirty somethink drunk ub40`s who started the booing, and certainly not more senior citizens. Cretin is however a very apt discription of those who did boo and also of those who seek to justify their actions.

[quote user="I.S."]I seriously think a lot of our supporters have lost any sense of perspective.[/quote]I think you''re being a bit kind with the use of the word ''lost''!

Jim Smith seems to have this in perspective, the players should accept a few boos when they perform poorly and although the 2nd half was ok, the 1st was pretty shocking.

The players were hardly booed off there was a few boos at the final whistle which lasted seconds, and yes I did briefly boo as I was annoyed as Jim says by the lack of urgency apart from last 7 mins. We did not give it much of a go and have missed a big chance.

I also think that the pre-match talk from some fans was plain stupid (we need to win 4-0 plus), probably taken in by the Doncaster Chairman and contributed to the sense of disappointment which was expressed in a limited manner I would suggest

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]

What you say is reasonably fair, but my point before is that it still isn''t an excuse to boo. Even if the team play badly and lose, in the current circumstances of the club you just shouldn''t boo, a bad performance doesn''t mean people aren''t trying!

The only time I think I''ve ever booed was at the end of the Worthington era when it was obvious that he was finished, that Burnley game at home I remember people cheering the 3rd and 4th Burnley goals because something had to give. At the moment, my point is, what does booing achieve apart from producing a negative and divided club? We''ve achieved so much together as fans, players and staff and we have to stick together whatever.

One of my proudest days in football, strangely, was at the end of the Fulham 6-0 at Craven Cottage. The fans gave the players, Worthington, Delia, the most rapturous applause after that horror show, it made me so proud to be a City fan. I hate the fickleness of modern day fans. The boys have given us a brilliant season so far, let''s not getting on their backs after one bad game, which let''s not forget, we still got a point from!

[/quote]For me - and I know,loads of others,that ovation at the end of the Fulham debacle,was one of the most embarrasing occasions of supporting City in about 30 years! Neither the players,Worthington or Delia deserved anything less than the whole of our support turning their backs on them at the end!

keep up the pressure on the boo-boys.. they need to be outed and ousted from the club. disgraceful, childish and embarassing.

come on city.

[quote user="Alejandra"]i know its not related to norwich, but i remember seeing portsmouth vs arsenal, and portsmouth were 5-0 down and the portsmouth fans were still making so much positive noise, trying to motivate the players, and there were no boo''s, which i did find very odd, but showed great loyality

[/quote]

The bell, the bell......the b* Portsmouth bell.  Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhh!

Jim,

When we lost to Hull earlier in the season the players got an ovation off the pitch. We battered them and were unlucky.

The way Pompey fans reacted in that Arsenal game makes you think, ''I wish our fans were like that''. From the tone of most of the posts on this thread, sadly we''re not...

[quote user="Alex"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

Mr Holts opinion:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/norwich/9405688.stm

[/quote]

And from the horses mouth that says it all - if the players weren''t particularly bothered by the booing then they wouldn''t be disappointed by it would they?. Boo''ers - take note!

[/quote]

Exactly, to boo them after they''ve been punching as far above their weight as they have is churlish to say the least. And to that person who said that there have always been boos after defeats. Did I miss something? I thought we drew?! 

Players deserve booing for not giving their all. I haven`t seen it suggested anywhere that they didn`t last night so if any of the boo-ers can give a single intelligent argument as to what their actions hope to achieve i`d love to hear it. I won`t though, because all it achieves is some childish dimwit feeling big and important for a few seconds.....

[quote user="ryan1992"]

[quote user="Jakesacanary"]Shame on anyone of you, Old or Young to boo the team of the pitch....as far as i am concerned its fans like that who eventually make up PLs mind to leave, and join a club which appreciates him...... WE WILL lose PL all because of impatient and ignorant fans........... Lets not forget where we have been and where we could possibly go........OTBC[/quote]

Of course we appreciate him, but that doesn''t mean he can''t make mistakes. As somebody else mentioned on another thread I believe, Worthy and Walker were brilliant bosses here, but they both made mistakes. I hate all this ''lets not forget where we have been'' rubbish. Lets not forget we have been in the Premier League, in Europe, cup finals while we are at it hey?We were in League 1 because of poor management on and off the field, and now we have a top manager in Lambert and are being run correctly off the field, so why shouldn''t we expect better performances than last night? At the beginning of the season you''d have been happy to finish 10th, would you now? We need to win games like last night to stay where we are, or even fight for the top 2, another performance like last night on saturday could result in a defeat, then Leicester could be 2 points behind with a win vs Coventry at home

[/quote]I think it was me that stated that.How many of those who are saying that Lambert should receive no criticism for picking players that they disagree with were fully behind Worthington the day that he was sacked against Burnley?I would say that at least 90% of our fans wanted Worthy out by the time he was sacked and the majority of those voiced their concerns in some way before Delia, Michael & Doomy wielded their axe?  Do those who felt it was ok to voice their concerns over Worthy at that time, but who think that we should be for ever grateful to Lambert, instead of looking at the here and now, not think that they are being slightly hypocritical?

I chose not to boo, but to be silent at the final whistle. I can understand frustrations (as I was too), I''d rather we didn''t boo though. Still, we were absolutely shocking last night, so possibly a kick up the rear could help?

I certainly don''t think we did apply ourselves to the job in hand. Yes we drew, no problem in that. Doncaster deserved it. The problem is, as I have said on another post, that we have not performed to the standards of earlier this season or certainly to that at Xmas.

We have beaten reading and millwall with last second goals, sheffield united we did nothing but scored from two corners and Leeds where we should have lost by 3 clear goals. All these games we picked up points. Now yes that is a sign of a good team and good desire, but not good performances. Team cohesion has not been to the standards we have set earlier this season the QPR and Cardiff games stand out.

The Middlesborough game away has stood out for me this season, because of the changes to our team and subseuent comments of too many games etc. since then we have flattered to deceive.

I think this club has been lucky, as mentioned the Fulham result still hurts, not just because of that game but because the changes happened over a year later that needed to happen that day. The players we brought in that summer to take us up were a disgrace and I often will go back to purchases of Jason Jarrett, andy hughes et al, disgusted.

Our fans didn''t cause the problems we could have, Charlton away again our club had been on the brink the season before. But at the Valley again we were very kind to a team, on and off field that had more than failed.

The turn around has been immense but also it has set standards. This season I did expect lower mid table, but by Xmas we were performing consistently. Since Xmas we haven''t, I think there was the right to boo, it didn''t last long and it hasn''t effected the players. They know they have set standards and if they are not met, then they can lose games. But for the same low level to remain for the whole 90 minutes is not on.

I remember booing when we were in the prem, waiting for our first victory following Dickov''s equaliser for Blackburn. Each game and points count, it was near the end of the game and we needed that victory. It was at the end of the game, moments of lapsed concentration cost and then it did. Drury against arsenal allowing the ball to come across his body to clear with his left when the arsenal player sneaked in because of that and scored. Mistakes cost you and can happen, but performance level is something you set and strive to achieve. Donny didn''t come out and try to stop us, we just never were at the races and that for me has been the case since Xmas. Winning by desire as mentioned is a skill but you need performaces to get to a good consistent level to achieve. We have set those and hence a little booing last night is not a problem.

The booing is nowhere in the same league as trying to show discontent with manager, the board or players this season. It was for a poor game, where our performance levels were not at the standard the club has now set themselves and hasn''t been there for a while. It is almost a carthatic reaction to a few poor home games where we have sneaked over the line.

It is not as if that booing is going to happen throughout the next game, yes there are grumbles about players. Well that happens at all clubs. But the booing was meant with no mallice unlike sometimes at this club, where actually we have been very reserved with our anger at something more detrimental to the club.

We are nowhere near that.

Let ''em boo if they want to......It''s their choice. There was no booing by anyone near me....in the City Stand.

I just left the ground as soon as the full-time whistle went.....Disappointed, but it''s not the end of the season.

If they play well against the Tykes on Saturday.....It''ll soften the blow of the paltry draw last-night....

Whether folk think booing is counter-productive after the fulltime whistle is uncalled for, I don''t object for spectators to voice their opinion and discontent after the game''s finished.....

During the game - is another matter.... 

[quote user="smooth"]I certainly don''t think we did apply ourselves to the job in hand. Yes we drew, no problem in that. Doncaster deserved it. The problem is, as I have said on another post, that we have not performed to the standards of earlier this season or certainly to that at Xmas.

We have beaten reading and millwall with last second goals, sheffield united we did nothing but scored from two corners and Leeds where we should have lost by 3 clear goals. All these games we picked up points. Now yes that is a sign of a good team and good desire, but not good performances. Team cohesion has not been to the standards we have set earlier this season the QPR and Cardiff games stand out.

The Middlesborough game away has stood out for me this season, because of the changes to our team and subseuent comments of too many games etc. since then we have flattered to deceive.

I think this club has been lucky, as mentioned the Fulham result still hurts, not just because of that game but because the changes happened over a year later that needed to happen that day. The players we brought in that summer to take us up were a disgrace and I often will go back to purchases of Jason Jarrett, andy hughes et al, disgusted.

Our fans didn''t cause the problems we could have, Charlton away again our club had been on the brink the season before. But at the Valley again we were very kind to a team, on and off field that had more than failed.

The turn around has been immense but also it has set standards. This season I did expect lower mid table, but by Xmas we were performing consistently. Since Xmas we haven''t, I think there was the right to boo, it didn''t last long and it hasn''t effected the players. They know they have set standards and if they are not met, then they can lose games. But for the same low level to remain for the whole 90 minutes is not on.

I remember booing when we were in the prem, waiting for our first victory following Dickov''s equaliser for Blackburn. Each game and points count, it was near the end of the game and we needed that victory. It was at the end of the game, moments of lapsed concentration cost and then it did. Drury against arsenal allowing the ball to come across his body to clear with his left when the arsenal player sneaked in because of that and scored. Mistakes cost you and can happen, but performance level is something you set and strive to achieve. Donny didn''t come out and try to stop us, we just never were at the races and that for me has been the case since Xmas. Winning by desire as mentioned is a skill but you need performaces to get to a good consistent level to achieve. We have set those and hence a little booing last night is not a problem.

The booing is nowhere in the same league as trying to show discontent with manager, the board or players this season. It was for a poor game, where our performance levels were not at the standard the club has now set themselves and hasn''t been there for a while. It is almost a carthatic reaction to a few poor home games where we have sneaked over the line.

It is not as if that booing is going to happen throughout the next game, yes there are grumbles about players. Well that happens at all clubs. But the booing was meant with no mallice unlike sometimes at this club, where actually we have been very reserved with our anger at something more detrimental to the club.

We are nowhere near that.
[/quote]Two very good points that you have made here.The kind of being happy with what we have scenario that drives me wild about the majority of our fans sometimes.  Last night was extremely poor and we missed a great opportunity to put 7 points between us and Leicester and really start to put some poressure on the top two.It is clear to the majority of people that Wilbraham is out of his depth, that we have an unbalanced midfield and that our opposition managers have picked up on this and are now using what is clearly evident to one and all when they set up their tactics prior to playing us.It is funny that you mentioned Jason Jarrett and Andy Hughes because some of our fans made so many excuses for players who simply were not good enough with them two for far too long!

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

[quote user="itstheruddyfuture"]Seems to me that all the booing must have come from the vocal Barclay fans (who are the real fans of course) because us old fogies in the Jarrold never say a peep and have seen it all before anyway. Mind you, people pay their money and are entitled to express their opinions, they were very average last night and if Paul Lambert and the team have raised expectations of late that can only be a good thing.[/quote]

Not just the South Stand I''m afraid.  I sit in the Upper Barclay and the attitude of the people around me never ceases to amaze me.  One guy behind me was actually moaning about Korey Smith before he had even touched the ball.  Apparently he is absolutely (actually he used a word starting with f) useless.

I think that the problem is that most people from Norfolk have a brain the size of a pea.

[/quote]

I agree and to me that is much worse (although the team doesn''t hear it) because it sets a mood. We sit in the Jarrold and last night the two blokes behind us were complaining in the first 2 or 3 minutes, it was obvious that at least one of them hadn''t been to a game for a while as well but he was effing and blinding for England, Gold medal standard and what it did make me realise because I''m no angel is that the bad language was so immature and they were no spring chickens! I know, we are all fans and like to express ourselves but these guys had gone from 0 - 60 in 3.2 secs.

Anyway, was depressed enough when we got home let alone all this backwards and forwards breast beating over a few that boo''d - we didn''t but then we didn''t clap either. The team were taken off immediately and listening to Lambert and Holt today makes me wonder whether they realise how bad they were and that we weren''t to expect better, that we were lucky as it was so to speak. I know I''m paraphrasing but it seemed that way to me. We all had high expectations of at least doing as well as the binners had against Doncaster and now we have been brought back down to earth. I don''t agree with booing your own team but to just write off obvious frusstration at some very poor play and ambition is wrong too!

Could the booing and all the fuss after it have contributed to this much improved performance and result. 

[quote user="The gut"]oh yeah, the wisdom of canary call, always the definitive answer [;)][/quote]lol [:O]