Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

May as well play Hooly up with Holt tomorrow

Since none of our other strikers can score. Lets bring in Surman, put Lansbury on the right and play Hoolahan in the hole behind Holt. As has been suggested before. I think this would work well anyway but circumstances are such that its probably our strongest line up. The only thing is Holt will need to be told to stay in the middle and the midfield will have to get forward in numbers when we attack!

Crofts Fox

Lansbury                         Surman

Hoolahan

Holt

I agree its an option and if Lambert decides to go with that then we definately have to bring someone to partner Holt as Wilbraham or Jackson are unfavored.

I''d be inclined to put Lansbury if any midfielder up front. Something like this....

Ruddy

R.Martin          Ward/Edwards     Whitbread       Drury

Fox/Crofts

Crotts/K.Smith                          Surman

Hoolahan

Lansbury              Holt 

That''s where I think our major strength lies - goal scoring midfielders. With this formation we could instruct Fox or Crofts to cover while the other supports the attack, Holt & Wes mixing it up in & around the opposition box with Lansbury waiting for cut-backs & Surman dinking passes in. Right sided attacks could be Crofts, or him covering RM when he attacks as a wing back.Lots of possibilities anyway. I''m sure Lambert knows what best suits his players

In m opinion Wes is at his best when he goes wherever he wants, which he tends to do, and if he does when he''s up front, then Holt will basically be playing as a lone striker. I am not saying it wouldn''t work but it may not suit Wes to not have the space in front of him, and it may not suit with Holt going a wandering as is his game.   

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Since none of our other strikers can score. Lets bring in Surman, put Lansbury on the right and play Hoolahan in the hole behind Holt. As has been suggested before. I think this would work well anyway but circumstances are such that its probably our strongest line up. The only thing is Holt will need to be told to stay in the middle and the midfield will have to get forward in numbers when we attack!

Crofts Fox

Hoolahan

Holt

[/quote]I have been saying this for weeks

Or how about we save messing around with the formation and the style of play for pre-season and stick with the one that''s taken us to 5th in the Championship after promotion last season?

Y''know, just a crazy idea...

Honestly, the reaction of some people to 2 dropped points against a decent Doncaster side is just laughable.

Lansbury up front indeed! Dear oh dear...

To be fair, with only one striker scoring any goals, and the others not seeming to contribute singnificantly, it''s not unreasonable to knock about possible alternatives on a message board.

I''d much prefer Wilbo or Jackson to come good, but they need to hurry up.

So the answer to an ineffectual attack is to weaken the midfield?

Makes perfect sense.

Some of the garbage being spouted around on here since Tuesday is a joke though. Drop Holt; Put a midfielder upfront; Play Daley who couldn''t get a game at Stevenage. It''s pathetic!

We''re 5th in the table for cryin'' out loud. Why the great need to tinker with the soddin'' team?!

You people are never happy.

I was thinking more along the lines of:

Smith         Fox         Crofts

Lansbury        Hoolahan

Holt

Surman on for Lansbury after 65 mins (as per usual) with Wes moving across to take Lansbury''s position.

Well we''ve got players who are good enough to come in to the midfield, which you can''t really say about the attack. - I''m basically suggesting having Lansbury the most advanced of a midfield 5.

I''d always prefer to see two up front, but we aren''t blessed with a great second striker option.

I think given his recent scoring record that Lansbury playing off of Holt makes more sense than Hooly.  Hooly runs with the ball, whilst Lansbury seems to have a good sense of positioning with a strong relationship with Holt already.  Just saying!

[quote user="Anderz"]

I was thinking more along the lines of:

Smith         Fox         Crofts

Lansbury        Hoolahan

Holt

Surman on for Lansbury after 65 mins (as per usual) with Wes moving across to take Lansbury''s position.

[/quote]I think this could be our best bet, though Surman should play in the midfield three if fit.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Crofts Fox

Hoolahan

Holt

[/quote]

Guess you and Lambert think alike [:)]

Well, it''s a good job i''m not City manager i guess!

It still pains me to see us play just the 1 striker though...