Sign in to follow this  
Bomber

McNamee

Watching Nathan Dyer rip Leeds apart this afternoon against Leeds I must admit it does beg the question why Lambert does not use McNamee more effectively for the club especially late on in games when the opposing team are more than likely tired. (As i tpe Swansed just gone 3 up and looking good).  I just do not know what McNamee has done wrong at the club and must surely be rueing the decision of leaving Swindon where he was somehat of a fans hero.  The player must wonder what it is he has to do to get a game for us.

Take players on, put decent crosses into the box, chip in with a goal or two.

He doesn''t fit into the diamond.

[quote user="Largey"]Take players on, put decent crosses into the box, chip in with a goal or two.

He doesn''t fit into the diamond.[/quote]When Mcnamee has started games he has been poor imo, maybe a handy player to come off the bench as you say but hasn''t done enough during his time on the pitch to be considered imo. He was hopeless against Orient in the cup and hasn''t had a look in since then, Lambert seems to have run out of patience with him.

PL has not had the success with forwards that he has had with midfielders and defenders.

His acquisitions have been a bit iffy: Johnson, Jackson,  and Wilbraham have not been greatly inspired signings, whilst I also believe that McNamee has been under-used on occasions.

I appriciate that but certainly late on in games (15 mins to go) when we are struggling it does not hurt to bring him him on switch the formation and see what happens

I think he''s a confidence player, as is Jackson. I think he should be used as an impact sub as

you said above when the opposition are tired. everyone has a few bad games, I remember last year his crossing and delivery was awesome and has really really quick feet. I feel sorry for him.

[quote user="Bomber"]Watching Nathan Dyer rip Leeds apart this afternoon against Leeds I must admit it does beg the question why Lambert does not use McNamee more effectively for the club especially late on in games when the opposing team are more than likely tired.[/quote]It might have something to do with Nathan Dyer being a far far better player than Antony McNamee.

We definitely need to use some pace in our line-up and I''m hoping for Jackson and Daley to get an opportunity today.  McNamee has had many chances and unfortunately not taken them. Just a shame we don''t have Cody, who has pace and can score.

I never have liked MacNamee, and I cant see it changing either. He didn''t impress against Leyton Orient in the Fa cup 3rd round and there a league 1 team, and he should ripping them to shreds! I didn''t understand why we signed him as he didn''t play much in his loan spell and clearly lambert prefers the diamond which AM doesn''t fit into..[:S]

What has he got to do to get a game?

Look interested?

Want the ball?

Not hide behind his full back so no one can pass to him?

Total waste of space if you ask me. Shows absolutely none of the desire that has characterised our rise from League One to the brink of the play-offs.

Whether that''s because PL hasn''t handled him well is something we''ll never know, but he hasn''t looked remotely equipped to do any damage in the Champs this season.

[quote user="paul moy"]We definitely need to use some pace in our line-up and I''m hoping for Jackson and Daley to get an opportunity today.  McNamee has had many chances and unfortunately not taken them. Just a shame we don''t have Cody, who has pace and can score.[/quote]Yes in the 4th tier... whoopee even I would hit double figures if being played upfront in that league!

[quote user="Smudger"]Yes in the 4th tier... whoopee even I would hit double figures if being played upfront in that league!

[/quote]If you could of.....you would of.....[:D]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="paul moy"]We definitely need to use some pace in our line-up and I''m hoping for Jackson and Daley to get an opportunity today.  McNamee has had many chances and unfortunately not taken them. Just a shame we don''t have Cody, who has pace and can score.[/quote]

Yes in the 4th tier... whoopee even I would hit double figures if being played upfront in that league!
[/quote]

Indeed, but mark my words, Cody will be scoring at a much higher level next season even if it''s for another club. [;)]

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="paul moy"]We definitely need to use some pace in our line-up and I''m hoping for Jackson and Daley to get an opportunity today.  McNamee has had many chances and unfortunately not taken them. Just a shame we don''t have Cody, who has pace and can score.[/quote]

Yes in the 4th tier... whoopee even I would hit double figures if being played upfront in that league!
[/quote]

Indeed, but mark my words, Cody will be scoring at a much higher level next season even if it''s for another club. [;)]

[/quote]

Whatever anyones opinion on Cody is doesnt matter as he cant be recalled.  Personally hes doing well and I wish him all the best but I dont think he would be the answer even if we could recall him.

[quote user="Ernie"][quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="paul moy"]We definitely need to use some pace in our line-up and I''m hoping for Jackson and Daley to get an opportunity today.  McNamee has had many chances and unfortunately not taken them. Just a shame we don''t have Cody, who has pace and can score.[/quote]Yes in the 4th tier... whoopee even I would hit double figures if being played upfront in that league![/quote]

[/quote]

Whatever anyones opinion on Cody is doesnt matter as he cant be recalled.  Personally hes doing well and I wish him all the best but I dont think he would be the answer even if we could recall him.

[/quote]Agreed.  And "a much higher level" - no, maybe League One, but that''s his lot I reckon.  You could probably say the same about McNamee too - he''s not a Championship level game-changer, he''s too anonymous, lightweight and one-dimensional.  Plus his crossing is about as good as Lee Croft''s.

I think Mcnamee should always be on the bench. Yes he''s had some poor games but he has never failed to impress me when he''s come on and had a go.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Ernie"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed.  And "a much higher level" - no, maybe League One, but that''s his lot I reckon.  You could probably say the same about McNamee too - he''s not a Championship level game-changer, he''s too anonymous, lightweight and one-dimensional.  Plus his crossing is about as good as Lee Croft''s.

[/quote]

Agreed.  You know what makes a really good player? Simples really....consistency.

"Largey"]Take players on, put decent crosses into the box, chip in with a goal or two.

He doesn''t fit into the diamond.

Add to this the fact that when hes started games he hasn''t produced.

Mcnamees had his good games coming off the bench but overall hasn''t done enough and in the form we''re now in unless we have an injury crisis, is not going to get much of a sniff!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Surely McNamee is more likely to have an influence on a match coming off the bench than Matt Gill?!?, his face clearly doesn''t fit anymore.[/quote]

McNamee is supposed to be a pacey winger and Matt Gill is a holding midfielder so you have lost me on this one.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]What has he got to do to get a game? Look interested? Want the ball? Not hide behind his full back so no one can pass to him? Total waste of space if you ask me. Shows absolutely none of the desire that has characterised our rise from League One to the brink of the play-offs. Whether that''s because PL hasn''t handled him well is something we''ll never know, but he hasn''t looked remotely equipped to do any damage in the Champs this season.[/quote]

Short (and not very accurate memory) Robert.

What about when he came on v Burnley at home and was outstanding? What about same earlier in the season v Barnsley? He is frustrating but CAN give width, pace and whip crosses in. Yesterday was another case in point - we played some great football first half  but were content just to keep posession second half and the lack of width andpace was glaring. Make no mistake Barnsley were very poor and with our predictable pattern of play we would probably have struggled against better sides.   

Well, apprently he was out boozing until the early hours this morning?  So it''s no wonder he is even struggling to delight us with the odd 20 mins here and there from the bench these days! [B] [:S]

[quote user="Smudger"]Well, apprently he was out boozing until the early hours this morning?  So it''s no wonder he is even struggling to delight us with the odd 20 mins here and there from the bench these days! [B] [:S]

[/quote]Are you talking about McNamee or Tilly smudger? Either way, I''m told he promises much, has a quick dribble and then disappears as quickly as he came! [:$]

[/quote]

Don''t be daft !

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

Don''t be daft !

[/quote]

Smudger is not for turning. His greatly superior knowledge of football is here for all to see and who are we to question it? Cody will always be sh!t in smudgey''s eyes, even though he is on course to smash Jackson''s best goal tally, at the same club, in the same league. Now, what was it he said about Hoolahan? Nah, forget it, I can''t be bothered....

Perhaps he has done something wrong that we do not know about, but he does seem to have dropped out of the reckoning now.

Anyone who plays as a winger must have the following characteristics;

1) Pace and/or guile to beat defenders

2) Consistent crosser of the ball, accurately to a striker

3) Chip in with a goal occasionally and also be prepared to double back to help out the defence, especially if the opposing team has a good winger on his side of the pitch.

There is no doubt of his ability under 1). He demonstrated this fredquently. On 2) he was

lacking, to some extent. He reguarly cut in on his left foot. Any cross is coming from behind the striker is more difficult to head . Conversely, such crosses are easier for defenders. The best crosses are from the base line, - ideal for attackers and difficult for defenders, but how often did he get to the base line?

3) Compared to Croft, his predecessor, he didn''t get back too often, and he didn''t score many.

I can''t work out whether his problem was the diamond, which required him to defend more, or whether it was his lack of success which ultimately made the dimond the formation of choice. Was it his failure to cross adequately which encourages fullbacks to get forward and cross, or was it the other way round?

One thing has always puzzled me - the willingness of his former club to sell him to us a competitive team at not a high cost. Did they find a similar problem, whether what I suggested or some other?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Surely McNamee is more likely to have an influence on a match coming off the bench than Matt Gill?!?, his face clearly doesn''t fit anymore.[/quote]

McNamee is supposed to be a pacey winger and Matt Gill is a holding midfielder so you have lost me on this one.

[/quote]

Its not that difficult to understand, I wouldn''t have thought ?!?. If we''re losing a match, which of these two would you think is more likely to come off the bench to get you back into it??. Is it really necessary ato have Smith,Lappin AND Gill all the the same bench as was seen against Doncaster?