Sign in to follow this  
George Smiley

Lambert's big game preparations and our five penalty takers for the play-offs

As most of us would have a bet on us being in the play -offs  ,( that is if we can''t scrape automatic) , i was wondering how...what with Lambert''s playing career ,he would approach a Play-off semi? /...Final.Would it be any different from the remaining league fixtures we had ?Lets not forget that he played under  Martin ONeill, who in turn played under the Greatest British  manager ever ."ole big head" himself.One of Clough''s tactics before any  Cup final /Semi was ingenius.He would  get all of his Forest   players in a hotel room on the eve of the game and order trays of beer or bottles of wine, he would then say to them "Nobody leaves until that lot is finished!", then lock the door.He figured that it was better for them to have a really good nights sleep and a mild hangover (which would fade)than having  them unable to sleep because of nervous tension, which in turn would be detrimental to their performance.I can''t picture Lambert doing this .As for our penalty takers who would you have ?Who should NOT be allowed to take one ?

I''m taking every game as it comes and not looking too far ahead of ourselves. Having said that we''re right in the mix and we''ll see where it takes us.

Basically I can only just mention the P word at this stage.

[quote user="WEEN_NASTY"]I''m taking every game as it comes and not looking too far ahead of ourselves. Having said that we''re right in the mix and we''ll see where it takes us. Basically I can only just mention the P word at this stage.[/quote]

I''m the same I''m only looking at each game as it comes and not thinking of any p words [:)]

Lansbury is on loan to the end of the season.... dont think this includes the playoffs1. Holt2. Hoolahan3. Ward (took them for Coventry with some success)4.Crofts5. Russel MartinMost shootouts are settled before or after the 5th penalty. With Ruddy in goal i''d fancy our chances.

You always put your best takers first in a penalty shoot out. Its important to stick spot kicks away early and build pressure. If a lesser penalty taker steps up first and is more likely to miss that can completely surrender the momentum to the opposition. I reckon the 3 certainties would be:

1. Wes (the regular taker)

2. Holt (who has taken a fair few)

3. Ward (regular at Coventry)

Russell Martin could possibly take one. He stuck his penalty away very nicely in that JP Trophy game down at Southampton. Surman, Fox and Lansbury are all very good technical players but penalties are about nerve as much as anything else. I could easily see Crofts volunteering to take one.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Lansbury is on loan to the end of the season.... dont think this includes the playoffs[/quote]Lansbury is with us until 31st May so will be available for the playoffs.

"Save your best for last as its the most pressure

That is absolute nonsense. Nearly as bad as the twaddle about waiting until it''s 93 days befpre the playoff final before binging in a loan striker.

Bit bloody ridiculous if we then miss on a playoff place by a point of two that might have been achieved by an extra goal at the Doncaster or Leeds games.

As to penalties that depends on who is on the pitch at the time - and that will depend on form and fitness ... and perhaps tactics that depend on the opposition.

As to ;big game'' then every game is now a big game. Concentrate on those, grind out the results and we have every chance of being in the top two. As it is we only need about another four wins and a couple of draws to secure a playoff place. Current form should see us finish in the early 80'' points wise, which given the lower points this season could well be enough.

Would a good manager tell each penalty taker where to put the penalty thus minimising the indecision for the player and leaving them free to concentrate solely on putting the ball top left, bottom right or wherever the manager has told them too?For all the psychology and science that''s apparently incorporated into the pro game these days this is one thing I''ve never heard to have happened but it seems such an easy way for the pressure of the penalty taking to be eased.

Wouldn''t put Crofts in the mixer, he only scores crackers. If he tried to place a penalty he''d balloon it...Or screw it wide just like Sutch did i think.

I''d much rather him recreate Nedergaards strike from about 30 yards into the bottom corner...In the 4th minute of stoppage time. Just as the ref takes one final glance at his watch... ;)

[quote user="Buckethead"]Would a good manager tell each penalty taker where to put the penalty thus minimising the indecision for the player and leaving them free to concentrate solely on putting the ball top left, bottom right or wherever the manager has told them too?

For all the psychology and science that''s apparently incorporated into the pro game these days this is one thing I''ve never heard to have happened but it seems such an easy way for the pressure of the penalty taking to be eased.
[/quote]

Agree with this. Would be a very good way of taking pressure of the players and potentially maximising the possibility of scoring.

They were talking about the psychology of penalty taking on TV the other day, I think it was on SSN. Apparently penalty takers who avoid eye-contact with the keeper have a much better conversion rate. I don''t know what the best psychology for a keeper is, though.

I''m still certain we''ll get top 2 to be honest but should it come to it and we need the 5 mine would be:

1. Wes

2. Holt

3. Crofts

4. Surman

5. Chrissy

then you have the likes of Fox, Lansbury etc for sudden death

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Lansbury is on loan to the end of the season.... dont think this includes the playoffs1. Holt2. Hoolahan3. Ward (took them for Coventry with some success)4.Crofts5. Russel MartinMost shootouts are settled before or after the 5th penalty. With Ruddy in goal i''d fancy our chances.[/quote]Does include playoffs, the loan is until we''ve played our last competetive fixture of the year, so would be extended should we make the playoffs.

What absolute nonsense !

At what point does the manager issue these absurd directives ? Is the player supposed to carry it about in his head all game ? What happens if he gets confused with the previous directive ? If you think that any pressure can be relieved from taking a penalty by having your own freedom of action removed then you must be completely clueless.

The drivel abouts stats, assists etc is nothing more than twaddle produced for the terminally dim so they can delude themselves that they have some understanding of the game.

Look back on how Revie tried to use this stuff and the compare how Clough managed his players and the minimal advice he gave his players. Revie''s teams were notorious for blowing it in the crunch games.

If you are in any doubt then read how Lambert recently dismissed this meaningless mumbo jumbo.

I''d put money on Wes missing, it always happens that the best one crumbles!!

Mine would be -

1.Holt

2.Wes

3.Fox

4.Ward

5.R.Martin