Sign in to follow this  
Somerset Canary

Ched Evans

They are fighting off relegation. Does it make sense to loan out possibly their best striker? Surely staying up will be worth more than the £250k they are due to pay.

I know that many at CR would welcome him back with open arms, and he did score a good individualist goal against us, but is he really that good? Manchester City clearly did not reckon him good enough for the Premiership and he has not scored that many for the Blades (- 10 or so?)

As a short term addition perhaps, although I doubt that in 12 games left he would score more than 4 or 5.

A very unlikely event, I would say, and probably not an outstanding prospect if we gain promotion. We should be looking for better.

[quote user="Salopian"]They are fighting off relegation. Does it make sense to loan out possibly their best striker? Surely staying up will be worth more than the £250k they are due to pay.

I know that many at CR would welcome him back with open arms, and he did score a good individualist goal against us, but is he really that good? Manchester City clearly did not reckon him good enough for the Premiership and he has not scored that many for the Blades (- 10 or so?)

As a short term addition perhaps, although I doubt that in 12 games left he would score more than 4 or 5.

A very unlikely event, I would say, and probably not an outstanding prospect if we gain promotion. We should be looking for better.[/quote]Man City obviously dont think Bellamy, Santa Cruz, Robinhio, Adebayor etc etc etc are good enough for the prem then, Ched Evans was at Man City as a striker when they had more Stikers than the Royal Mail.He would be a great adition to our squad for the run in....

[quote user="Salopian"]They are fighting off relegation. Does it make sense to loan out possibly their best striker? Surely staying up will be worth more than the £250k they are due to pay.

A very unlikely event, I would say, and probably not an outstanding prospect if we gain promotion. We should be looking for better.[/quote]But your forgetting that the blades clearly have a very poor team so chances on goal are scarce.

I''d sign him in a heatbeat, young, hungry, talented and could step up to the Prem if we got promoted.

[quote user="Salopian"]They are fighting off relegation. Does it make sense to loan out possibly their best striker? Surely staying up will be worth more than the £250k they are due to pay. I know that many at CR would welcome him back with open arms, and he did score a good individualist goal against us, but is he really that good? Manchester City clearly did not reckon him good enough for the Premiership and he has not scored that many for the Blades (- 10 or so?) As a short term addition perhaps, although I doubt that in 12 games left he would score more than 4 or 5. A very unlikely event, I would say, and probably not an outstanding prospect if we gain promotion. We should be looking for better.[/quote]

I have no idea whether this is likely or not but i have to take issue with any suggestion he would not be a good prospect. Unlike many of our previous loans we have the advantage of having seen Ched play for us previously and we all know that he is a highly committed and talented player. If he got 5 goals for us in the remaining 12 games then i would suggest we will be knocking on the door. Its certainly more than any of our current strikers will get except for Holt!

Seperate issues here. The blades seem to be seriously hard up for some reason and have the worst form in the Division and looked doomed to me. Are there 3 worse sides in this division i dont think so. Evans probably would not come here and dare i say it we cannot afford his repted £18 000 a week but be under no doubt in a good side he could be prolific at this level

Lakey has said yet again that Lambert nearly fell off his chair when asked about Evans.  I think it is unlikely and wages are the reason.

I think a Ched Evans would add massively for this team, he loves to shoot on sight outside the box and as we have been screaming sometimes for our players to shoot, he may well be the answer. I would imagine he would link up well with Holt and the rest.

The only problem would be wages, he is not going to take a massive paycut if he joins us on a perm.

If the 250k thing is true, then I would imagine he would not play, they are in a mess money wise and look certain to go down.

I thought to myself initially that PL''s ''Linda Evans'' comment was perhaps something to throw people off the scent but now i''m not so sure. The rumour on the BladesMad site has since gone quiet, and i''m thinking we''re not actually in for him sadly. Shame, as with the amount of chances he''d get here upfront, i think he''d be absolutely fantastic. I''ve given up on this rumour now as just that, a rumour.....

Now let''s see.

Young Ched apparently doesn''t want to take a cut in wages to move from a relegation haunted club to a promotion chasing club where he is known and appreciated? I suppose he reckons that managers will be beating a path to his doorstep when United get relegated - question is, which managers?

Hmm.

OTBC

Doesn''t sound hungry and ambitious to me.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Now let''s see.

Young Ched apparently doesn''t want to take a cut in wages to move from a relegation haunted club to a promotion chasing club where he is known and appreciated? I suppose he reckons that managers will be beating a path to his doorstep when United get relegated - question is, which managers?

Hmm.

OTBC

Doesn''t sound hungry and ambitious to me.

[/quote]

Where has anyone stated that he does not want to take a pay cut I haven''t seen that anywhere. It could be the case but; all that I have seen is a poster has said we would not match his current wages the rest is pure speculation on your part.

Would be a good move for ched, but i think Lambert would see him as to much of a gamble at this stage in the season.

I just don''t see this one happening as much as many of us would like to see it. I don''t think Sheff U would want to lose him and theres nothing official about the £250k to be paid to Man City if he plays for them again, it may be true tho. Sheff U aren''t relegated yet and they might take a gamble and play him and hope to stay up and pay the £250k if it is true.

Jas who wopuld this proven striker be? There is not exactly a lot of them out there, especially at this time of the season. Remember that Holt was not a proven goalscorer in this league and if we have him banging in the goals along with some by Evans, then this would be good.I would love to have a proven striker from this league but there are so few out there.

Difficult one cause we definately need more firepower upfront and I''m glad that Lambert sees that as well!

Quite often a player who many would consider as proven is also over the hill and just looking for a last payday, Hartson, Sibierski style!

The other side of the coin is Holt who before this season was unproven at this level but lets be honest without him we''d very likely be a lower half of the table side!

A hungry Robbie Blake I''d of liked but the very fact he''d rather play for Bolton reserves than play for us indicates hes not that hungry!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]16 goals in 60 games for ched...

no thanks.

lets get in a proven striker
[/quote]

His stats for this season are better than last season.  I have mentioned them on another thread re Graham.

Who knows what happened at Sheffield United last season.

Is there any substance to this rumour at all? or it just what alot of us would like to see happen.

Personally why would sheffield Unt part with him even if they have to pay 250k to Man City, it doesnt make any sense unless they have resigned themselves to going down with 12 games to go (unlikely) and or they are in such financial trouble the 250k would push them into administration so they lose 10 points or whatever it is (also unlikely i would have though).

Even in this case if they loaned him out to avoid paying 250k, unless a perm deal was also agreed they''d lose value in the summer as everyone would know he''s not going to play another game for them and so will be able to negotiate a lower price. I just cant see it happening

He''s scored 9 in 23 which includes 6 sub appearances this season, and he scored 10 in 28 for us, with struggling sides. I''ve no doubt he''d be prolific for us now, as we create so many chances.

[quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"]Proven doesn''t always mean the best option.

If Lambert gets in a new striker, they''ve got to fit in with our current team.

Andy Cole at Newcastle scored goals. Andy Cole at Man Utd didn''t fair so well. No Peter Beardsley. Nuff said.
[/quote]

That''s "fare so well" WITS. I would have said that, overall, Andy Cole did well in his time at Manchester United. he scored a lot of goals but also was part of a very effective partnership, and the major period of his career was served there. By comparison, Wayne Rooney is not exactly breaking the back of the net, but there is no disputing his overall contribution to the team.

The Andy Cole at Machester Utd was a far better player than the Andy Cole at Newcastle...Golas are not everything. His all round game was far better under Ferguson?!?!

Woman in the Stands (WITS):. No Peter Beardsley. Nuff said.

Could you please translate the above for me.  Thanks.

Your comment about strikers fitting into one side and not another is right e.g., Davenport, scored for Nottingham Forest but struggled at Manchester United. 

.... and Torres scored loads at Liverpool but cannot get on the scoresheet at Chelski.... LOL