Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

If we do go up...

will you be more confident of us staying up than when we went up under Worthy?

I guess this is a backhanded way of asking who you rate as the better manager....

I think I rate Lambert above Worthy - just.

OTBC

this team seems to be more level-headed than wothys team e.g damien francis not being fully committed. we could do a blackpool who were doing really well. Also we will sign players which will add quality. Can''t wait

He commands more respect as he''s won a Champions League medal. Can''t start acting the big I am with a man like that.

Would depend on the budget he''s given, this is a great Championship team but would get hammered more often than not in the Prem.

IMO our midfield is Prem quality, perhaps one addition of another tough tackler to combat our number of passing midfielders. Ruddy is strong enough for Prem I reckon and  our defence isn''t far off, possibly one more CB with Prem qualities (maybe Edwards). Our biggest area of improvement needed must be the strikers as I''m not sure if any will cope other than maybe Holt.

If we go up this is what I would go for:

CB:  Possibly Edwards or St. Ledger

CM: Brown, Basham or Kilkenny (would be a coup if we could poach him from Leeds) as well as Lansbury on loan for another season

Winger: Bennett, Kakuta (loan)or Cole (could revitalise his career)

Striker: Two from Graham, Piquionne (maybe too expensive), Roberts, Jerome

But whatever happens at the end of the day we can always say that this squad gave its all.

OTBC

Not having a go or anything Crofts. But a coupe of those names, i really wouldn''t be happy with.

St. Ledger? Has he ever played in the Premiership?

He''s not a bad player, but i think if/when :P we go up any players we add, either need that prem experience, or need to be up and coming (in my opinion, maybe St Ledger would be great)

Basham, hasn''t really played for Blackpool this season, that says a bit about him doesn''t it?

Lansbury again would be great, i don''t think he would be available on a permanent, but if Wenger wanted him out on loan to a prem side, i''m sure we would top the list.

The wingers, Bennett i reckon is staying with Brighton, even if we bid enough, i reckon he will want to stay with them. Cole would be lovely, but West Ham couldn''t afford his wages, so i doubt we would be able to. Plus Liverlose would want a fee.

Someone like Roberts up front would be great, that experienced head is exactly the kind of player we want, preferably another like him in another position as well....

My first thought would be about finance, and I mean mainly the parachute payments.

We seem to have been struggling with debt for as long as I remember, so even if we were to be a one season wonder, as before, we would still be a few millions better off. We could build upon that.

I would not want us to overspend on high earners, whose wages would not be justified should we yo-yo.

Lessons can be learned from many teams in the past who actually lost out due to promotion. Hull is the latest example and we didn''t do so well out of it either, although it did mean we were in the market for players like Earnie for a while.

In sum, it is strange that we seem to have come out of League 1 in better shape than when we slipped out of the Premiership.

The whole wage system is quite a mystery really.

How much would Joe Cole want next season? Presuming Liverlose don''t want to keep him? (I don''t think he has done any better for Dalgleish has he?) (and even if/when he leaves, i imagine Spurs or West Ham if they are still up would be his preferred destination.).

And Jason Roberts, if he left, would he really be in a position to negotiate a ''high'' wage, or would he have to settle for 10k a week on a one or two year contract (I have no idea what he''s on now, but probably over 20k a week?).

Blackpool, i think are an example of a club run really well. I don''t know if they have any/much debt, but they don''t over spend, and have (like us) brought a ''team'' that has developed and really performs well together, not saying other clubs don''t, but for Blackpool it has really worked.

And BroadstairsR, you last sentence. Two names for you... Doncaster and McNally. Doncaster (and others) clearly did not know how to financially run a football club. McNally, although maybe upsetting a few fans with ticket prices and such, has really started putting us on the right road :D

As the boards 5 year plan states that we will come straight back down.

I don''t think we will get much investment in our team, so it will be a struggle if we ever make to the Premiership 

I think that if we do go up - it''s not necessarily about the manager, although for the record I think Lambert is a stronger manager - I think if we go up this time around, we have a board who will take the risk and back the manager, unlike previously where they ''waited to see'', before getting in Ashton mid-season, who would have undoubtedly have helped us stay up ahd we had him from day one.

Worthington had his hands tied on funds, and while Lambert won''t be able to spend freely, I think the board will take a calculated risk.

It depends on Lambert''s transfer budget to strengthen and refresh the squad. Worthy was given peanuts and ended up with monkeys. We were at least one striker light at the start of that ill-fated Premiership campaign. Who knows what might have happened if Worthy had been given the funds that some newly promoted sides enjoy.