Sign in to follow this  
Woman in the Stands (WITS)

Blood donor session at NCFC Monday 28th Feb

This is a reminder to say there will be a blood donor session at the football club this Monday; 13:00-15:30 and 17:00-1900
Further details can be found at [url]http://www.blood.co.uk/SessionSearcher/ShowAjaxResults.aspx[/url]Be a star and give blood if you can.

[quote user="hucks"]I''m booked in at 1:30 free tea and biscuits after too[/quote]Is it even possible for you to become an even bigger legend!?! Hats off to you Hucks [Y]

Had no idea they held sessions at the club, I''ll be booking my next session there for sure, can''t make this one as I donated last month.

Get yourselves down there if you''re fit and healthy, it''s a great thing to do and as Hucks said you get free tea and biscuits!

I see only 68 have read this post, I suggest changing the title to "Hucks gives blood" or something similar now you know that''s the case. Not only do I think the reading numbers will improve I guess there''ll be a few trying to get appointments about the same time. 

It would be unlikely that Hucks could be a bigger legend here Excited Canary but something tells me we may not have seen it all yet.

[quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"]This is a reminder to say there will be a blood donor session at the football club this Monday; 13:00-15:30 and 17:00-1900
Further details can be found at [url]http://www.blood.co.uk/SessionSearcher/ShowAjaxResults.aspx[/url]Be a star and give blood if you can.
[/quote]Excellent.  At last we''ll see who''s been lying about having yellow and green blood.

[quote user="Excited Canary"][quote user="hucks"]I''m booked in at 1:30 free tea and biscuits after too[/quote]

Is it even possible for you to become an even bigger legend!?! Hats off to you Hucks [Y]
[/quote]

I take my hat off to all donar''s unfortunatly I''m not able to donate due to all the heart pills I take, well done everyone that are donars

Used to donate regularly until I became ill, and got up to Silver level, sadly now they won''t take my blood, but I would encourage everyone who is fit and healthy to donate, it doesn''t hurt, the staff are fantastic too.

For those going to their first session, you won''t normally get tea, you might get squash though.  Not sure why they do that but must be a reason.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Used to donate regularly until I became ill, and got up to Silver level, sadly now they won''t take my blood, but I would encourage everyone who is fit and healthy to donate, it doesn''t hurt, the staff are fantastic too.

For those going to their first session, you won''t normally get tea, you might get squash though.  Not sure why they do that but must be a reason.

[/quote]

I remember the time when I was stationed in Hong Kong in the 60''s we use''d to sell it for $20 HK for a pint, then go out on the town, think I must have done it about 3 time in a month, we were young and didn''t care, the Tiger beer taste was worth it.  

I always take my hat off to anyone that does this. I couldn''t do it in a million years!, I can''t get my head round anyone that could voluntarily go and have blood drained out of their arm, infact I''m feeling squeamish just typing this.

Total respect to everyone.

I used to be phobic about needles but really wanted to give blood, so I plucked up courage and it got me over the fear.  I figured that if I fainted it wouldn''t matter if I was lying down already (I didn''t btw).  This was back in the 60s and you could have a bottle of beer afterwards not just a cup of tea!  Can''t do it any more unfortunately as I''m on medication.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

I used to be phobic about needles but really wanted to give blood, so I plucked up courage and it got me over the fear.  I figured that if I fainted it wouldn''t matter if I was lying down already (I didn''t btw).  This was back in the 60s and you could have a bottle of beer afterwards not just a cup of tea!  Can''t do it any more unfortunately as I''m on medication.

[/quote]

And a pint is almost an arm full

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I always take my hat off to anyone that does this. I couldn''t do it in a million years!, I can''t get my head round anyone that could voluntarily go and have blood drained out of their arm, infact I''m feeling squeamish just typing this.

Total respect to everyone.[/quote]

a lot of people who give blood hate needs, get squeamish etc. but it saves lives so is 100% worth it!

I think those who don''t must have reasons, be that fear of needles or fear of the unknown, can understand that totally.

The thing that changed my mind was when my mum needed both bone marrow and blood when she was very sick. Changed my perception totally, someone had to give blood to basically save her life, so I went to a BD session and spoke to a nurse, and gave blood, never looked back.

Our son, who loved Norwich City, was diagnosed with leukaemia in January 2008. Unfortunately due to havng such an aggresive form he sadly died aged 22 in August 2008. It was only due to regular blood transfusions that he lived as long as he did and we as a family are indebted to all who do give blood. We give blood regularly now and would encourage all who can to do so as you really can make a difference to someones life. So if you can attend this session please do. Thanks.

I won''t be going today, but, I am booked in on Friday the 4th to give at my usual session - if I can shake this cold off in time.

It''s fantastic how grateful the staff are for people freely giving their blood to help others in times of need.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

[/quote]

Well done, Cherub, for facing your fear and overcoming it when you were able. Star [*]Star [*]Star [*]

[quote user="Newport Canaries"]Our son, who loved Norwich City, was diagnosed with leukaemia in January 2008. Unfortunately due to havng such an aggresive form he sadly died aged 22 in August 2008. It was only due to regular blood transfusions that he lived as long as he did and we as a family are indebted to all who do give blood. We give blood regularly now and would encourage all who can to do so as you really can make a difference to someones life. So if you can attend this session please do. Thanks.[/quote]

Newport, how sad for your son, and for his family to see a life lost so young and be helpless to change events. Thank you for sharing this message. I feel if more people were to have a closer awareness of situations such as yours the generosity would increase multifold.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="Newport Canaries"]Our son, who loved Norwich City, was diagnosed with leukaemia in January 2008. Unfortunately due to havng such an aggresive form he sadly died aged 22 in August 2008. It was only due to regular blood transfusions that he lived as long as he did and we as a family are indebted to all who do give blood. We give blood regularly now and would encourage all who can to do so as you really can make a difference to someones life. So if you can attend this session please do. Thanks.[/quote]

Newport, how sad for your son, and for his family to see a life lost so young and be helpless to change events. Thank you for sharing this message. I feel if more people were to have a closer awareness of situations such as yours the generosity would increase multifold.

[/quote]

Luckily I have managed to shift my cold enough to be allowed to give my 26th donation today.

Most of the blood donated goes to help cancer patients, when you read Newport''s very sad post it makes you realise that a few minutes slight discomfort is in fact a pleasure to do. I would urge anyone who is able to donate, to get along to a session and give others a fighting chance.

[quote user="First Wazzock"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

Luckily I have managed to shift my cold enough to be allowed to give my 26th donation today.

Most of the blood donated goes to help cancer patients, when you read Newport''s very sad post it makes you realise that a few minutes slight discomfort is in fact a pleasure to do. I would urge anyone who is able to donate, to get along to a session and give others a fighting chance.

[/quote]

Yes well as I said earlier,I tried to give glood but was told that all the pills I take they wouldn''t be able to use it, not even in the Labs for testing, How ever all my family go to the regular sessions, I go with the wife and have a cuppa.    

So sorry to hear about your son Newport Canary hopefully thats made a few people think about giving blood who wouldn''t normally do, it certainly has me.

I used to give blood but I''m not allowed to anymore because of the medication I''m on.

[quote user="The Å¿hroud of Turin"]I would give blood but the thought of a Jehovah''s Witness getting it makes me feel sick.[/quote]

They don''t like other people''s blood?

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="The Å¿hroud of Turin"]I would give blood but the thought of a Jehovah''s Witness getting it makes me feel sick.[/quote]

They don''t like other people''s blood?[/quote]They''d rather have tomato sauce so they say, until they want it.

Whilst we are on the subject I thought I''d bring this to you good peoples attention.

We''ve just learned that the Government is planning to let big business profit

from blood donations.It''s almost unbelievable - almost.Up and

down the country, thousands of men and woman give blood each week. They don''t do

it for selfish reasons. They do it for friends, neighbours - and for people they

will never know. By giving blood they do something amazing and save countless

lives.Anyone who has either needed blood, or has a loved one who has,

will know that feeling of gratitude.But this Government doesn''t care

about that selflessness - that''s why they''re planning to literally privatise

your blood. By letting big business marketise blood donations, the Tories will

shatter the virtuous link between donors and recipients.We can''t allow

this to happen - we need to rally around a simple but profound message: Our

blood is not for sale.In response to these plans we''re launching

a national petition - and,  I want your name to be one of the first on

it. Sign our petition and demand that David Cameron steps in and stops this

dangerous plan:

Chances are that if you haven''t benefitted from someone else''s amazing

generosity, someone you know and love has. Often, we owe our loved ones'' very

survival to a blood donation from a complete stranger.Blood donors give

blood so that doctors and surgeons are able to save lives. They don''t give blood

so that private corporations can make a profit.We are talking about life

and death, about an incredible selfless act. Money and profit margins have no

place in this transaction.This is a step too far. We cannot allow this

to happen.I need you to act now. Act for yourself. Act for a

loved one. We are all under threat if the Tories can get away with this - please

sign our petition now:
http://action.unitetheunion.com/BloodMoneyWith

thanks,Jennie BremnerUNITE National Officer