Sign in to follow this  
Tiptop

Lets be Sensible this Saturday

Preston Saturday then!

Hope were all not gonna get too carried away in that we are playing the bottom side and think its an easy 3 points or that its going to be be at least 4-0, only for it to still be 0-0 after 30/40 mins and for a small number of our so called fans start grumbling that we should be hammering these, and then start to shout absurb abuse at our own players for any mistakes they make god forbid (If only they were robots), for example a Ruddy miskick, even though he''s be brilliant for us this season, that won''t stop stupid comments from a couple of morons near me.

Don''t care what anyone says i''d take 1-0 win right now.

So were not allowed to make optimistic predictions? Because we might not do well, so are only allowed to go with a 1-0 win or Preston winning 6-0? With Drury scoring 3 OGs, and Ruddy giving up and letting them score 3 open goals?

I think it could be a hard-fought 2-1 win. Preston will be scrapping and spoiling, and will disrupt our passing game. I think that it could be quite late, as players tire, before we make an impact.

I hope that I am wrong, and that we have a comfortable victory as we make more of the chances we create.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]So were not allowed to make optimistic predictions? Because we might not do well, so are only allowed to go with a 1-0 win or Preston winning 6-0? With Drury scoring 3 OGs, and Ruddy giving up and letting them score 3 open goals?[/quote]Sorry, what''s that got to do with the OP? Did you actually read it?I personally think that any games against teams scrapping around at the bottom are going to be very tough games. If we can get that early goal I think we can go on to open them up, but I wouldn''t bet against a narrow 2-1 or 1-0 victory.

I feel this game is a real banna skin, I rather be taking on a mid table team. Preston are fighting for there lives, there not gonna come here to get rolled over. There have nothing to lose. Don''t be shocked if we go a goal behind before coming back to snatch victory.

Remember Preston got a draw at Forest the other day (the same day we failed to beat Doncaster). I would hope that both of those results are in the backs of the players minds as they take the field on Saturday. Even though we are clearly a better team than Preston that still does not make it an easy game, and the players need to remember that every point has to be battled for and worked for. Its getting to that time of year when the bottom sides start to realise that they are running out of games, and I think we are going to start seeing quite a few "surprise" results over the next few weeks.Even so, I still think we will beat Preston, but only narrowly.

Remember the oft-quoted remark about this league: "Any team can beat any other on the day."

I would go further and say this about football as a whole, with recent examples being the Arsenal''s defeat on Sunday and Reading''s win last night.

However, we need to be confident about our side and to go into every game expecting a banana skin is the kind of negativety that I would not want PL to transmit to the players. I suppose there is such a thing as over-confidence, but we really should beat Preston.

I go for a sensible approach and a comprehensive win  but I have an egg ready to splash on my face.

I''ve got a sneaky suspicion our top 2 finish hopes will be shattered this weekend!!

We could also see a couple of upsets Like Doncaster beat Leeds, Scunthorp hit back at Swansea, Binners will lose at Cardiff just  to spite us, And not forgetting QPR Leicester, so in theory we have a very good chance this saturday to build a points cushion  

[quote user="DOGGER"]I''ve got a sneaky suspicion our top 2 finish hopes will be shattered this weekend!![/quote]

Fill your glass.

This is not going to be easy at all. PNE will feel that a defeat on Saturday and a couple of wrong results elsewhere will put them 14 points adrift, which at this point of the season is unthinkable. If we go a goal up early, I think it''ll be a 2/3-0 win, but if it is 0-0 for a long period, they will get more confident and could even sneak all 3 points

Hey twinkle toes, how long have you been in Spixworth? That''s where I grew up. Lived on Cedar ave.

Anyway.....3 - 1 NorwichI hope Lambert plays the same team and formation as last Saturday. My guess is Preston will come to park the bus, so we musty be patient.And even though I am one of those who thought Doncaster was going to be a walk in the park, since the report was they had 14 starters out, I feel Preston are going to be much tougher to break down. If Preston come to Carrow Rd swinging, they''ll get clobbered, since that''s the style of game we like to play against; lots of space. If they shut up shop and play for the draw, we''ll have to work hard to find a win.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[quote user="DOGGER"]I''ve got a sneaky suspicion our top 2 finish hopes will be shattered this weekend!![/quote]

Fill your glass.

[/quote]Agreed! Keep your sneaky suspicions to yourself, Dogger!

The big think I think will be in our favour this weekend is that Preston need a win so will not ''park the bus''; the fact that they need to be positive will work to our advantage.

Fair point PKC, however a point away to a promotion chasing team should be seen in their eyes as a victory. However, they don''t have many games left to ''pick their battles'', so I hope you''re right.

Tiptop"]

Preston Saturday then!

Hope were all not gonna get too carried away in that we are playing the bottom side and think its an easy 3 points or that its going to be be at least 4-0, only for it to still be 0-0 after 30/40 mins and for a small number of our so called fans start grumbling that we should be hammering these, and then start to shout absurb abuse at our own players for any mistakes they make god forbid (If only they were robots), for example a Ruddy miskick, even though he''s be brilliant for us this season, that won''t stop stupid comments from a couple of morons near me.

Don''t care what anyone says i''d take 1-0 win right now.

Couldn''t agree more!

Preston have improved off late and that includes drawing AT Nottingham Forest!

I''ll be surprised if Saturdays game is not a tough one!

I''ll take 1-0 or 2-1 every game we play!

Preston have got some decent players and cant be taken lightly. If you look at Norwich the season we were relegated from the Championship we got two draws against Birmingham (arguably should have won both) and took 4 points off Wolves (spanking them 5-2 in one of them). We all know how poor we were that season but it proves that old cliche that any team in this league can turn us over on their day. So of course you would take a scrappy 1-0 in the last minute with it going in off Holt''s backside. A win is a win at the end of the day.

What do you mean I.S.??

Of course it is, he said were not allowed to ''get too carried away'' Why not? were 5th, playing against the team bottom of the league, why shouldn''t we expect a 3/4-0 win?

I apoligise if i''ve replied to this thread to many times its my 1st post!!!

Tough game on Sat against Preston. They have picked up draws against QPR and Forest over the last couple of weeks and they are playing for their lives to stay in the divison. They''ll have seen how most of the teams have played at Carrow Road this season defend then try and catch us on the break and they will be no different. We''ve all got to get behind the lads if it turns into another Doncaster game and keep the atmosphere going for the whole 90 we could make that bit of difference in games especially the ones that aren''t going to plan. Having said all this an early goal or to be leading at half-time and i think the 3 points will be ours. Its got to be the same team/formation that we played at Barnsley it was shouting out for that as soon as Surman was fit enough to play 90 mins. I honestly think there isn''t a better team in the league with attacking purpose and flare than the team we had out against Barnsly. What do people reckon?

I think in terms of attacking potential you dont have to look much further than QPR who are also playing this 4-2-3-1 system. They have a much better variety in attack with Helguson, Hulse, Smith and Mackie (when fit) at their disposal. You would have to say if Holt got injured we would have serious issues.

Routledge and Taarabt are fantastic players at this level as well in that attacking midifeld area. I know Tarrabt has been fairly subdued on the two occassions he played against us but he showed flashes of absolute brilliance at times and you he has got 15 goals from midfield this season. In Surman, Lansbury, Holt and Hoolahan our attacking quartet is very exciting but I think QPR still take some catching in both quality and depth of squad. Hence why they have a decent cushion at the top.

Well GP I think Preston''s recent results if nothing else is one reason not to expect a 3 or 4-0 win.

Not to mention just how competitive this league is, anyone can beat anyone.

The OP wasn''t saying what you can and can''t predict for this game, I think he''s just hoping we avoid the attitude of expecting a comfortable win - one that could cause the attitude to turn the air sour in a similar way it did against Doncaster if things aren''t going to plan.

13-0 to Norwich with 10 goals from Holt, 1 from Hoolahan, 1 from Lansbury and 1 O.G.

I think alot of us (me included) got carried away before the Doncaster game. Won''t be doing that again!

While no game is ever a guarenteed win, I often feel that for a team to be taken seriously for promotion, they need to be beating teams at the bottom of the leagueNorwich 3 - 0 Preston

[quote user="ThorpeCanary"]The OP wasn''t saying what you can and can''t predict for this game, I think he''s just hoping we avoid the attitude of expecting a comfortable win - one that could cause the attitude to turn the air sour in a similar way it did against Doncaster if things aren''t going to plan.[/quote]

Thanks ThorpeCanary that was exactly my point!

[quote user="Tiptop"]

Preston Saturday then!

Don''t care what anyone says i''d take 1-0 win right now.[/quote]

Usually happens after about three minutes where I sit

Same for me Webbo, I''ve heard some classic comments.

20 or so mins into his debut ''This Grant Holt fella is rubbish, too fat and unfit, will never make it'' or something along those lines.

''Take him off'' often in the first 20 mins is another common one. And the worst thing is, the two who make these comments are quite deadly serious. My Grandad used to turn round and talk to them occasionally at half time/before the match, but just doesn''t bother now as he doesn''t want to say anything offensive to them, which is quite inevitable, because they can really get quite annoying :P I don''t know why they go to games, they don''t seem to enjoy them very often. Was even plently of moaning when we were outclassing the binners....