Sign in to follow this  
North-East-Canary

Lambert got it wrong

For me again i think Lambert got it wrong playing 1 man up front and at home and against bottom club its ok doing it away from home but come on at home and against bottom club you want to have at least 2 up there be a bit more positive. More points dropped at home not good enough

Jackson doesn''t seem to fit in the team. And unless you are a rare person who thinks Wilbraham can score, what else would you do?

(and don''t say sign a striker, because we haven''t and there are reasons for that, what ever they may be, i personally think its because their isn''t anyone good enough available.)

You have to pick the best team available, and Lambert obviously doesn''t think Wilbraham or Jackson are part of that at the moment.  Given how well the 4-5-1 worked against Barnsley, he was right to try it at home.

Myself i would have put jackson there bit of pace to cause few problems maybe brought wilbraham on later on in game depending on what jackson played like. But for a team looking for the top 2 against bottom team would have been bit more positive,

Our obvious problem is that we only have one Championship standard striker. Wilbraham will never score and hasn''t actually set up many goals since his arrival. Jackson is out of his depth and cannot stay on side!

PL played Holt up on his own because our midfielders are far better than our strikers and the onus was on them to get the shots in.

Finally Lambert has been found out. His weakness? He can''t scout a good striker.

Forget all that look how far we''ve come. That''s history. We''ve now dropped four points too two crap teams. And thats a fact. Lambert will cost us an automatic promotion spot and undoing all the good work done by McNally.

I wouldn''t be surprised if big Mac is so pissed that Baa Baa Lamb gets the chop.

Wasn''t at the game so can''t comment whether he picked the wrong team, but I think it''s a misconception that 442 is necessarily more attacking than 451.

It''s about picking your best players in the formation that best suits them. And given the number of creative midfielders we have, and the lack of potent strikers, 451 seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Listening on the radio it didn''t seem that we created much with 3 up front at the end.

Let''s face it, if Wes had buried his pen, we''d all be happy.

And I''d add that there''s a difference between identifying a good striker and signing him.

For obvious reasons, they cost much more than other players, and we haven''t got money to waste.

Lambert is clearly on the lookout for another striker on loan, and I''m sure we''ll bring one in.

Oh, and we''re fourth.

Think i''m right in saying we''ve amassed 12 points in our last six games.

3 wins (QPR, Millwall, Reading)

3 draws (Cardiff, Doncaster, Preston)

That''s promotion form.

[quote user="Phyxius"]Think i''m right in saying we''ve amassed 12 points in our last six games. 3 wins (QPR, Millwall, Reading) 3 draws (Cardiff, Doncaster, Preston) That''s promotion form.[/quote]

Too right!

20 other Championship teams would kill to have our form this season!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I would say playing Surman, Lansbury and Wes is just as attacking as dropping one of them and playing Wilbraham.[/quote]

Absolutely!

Or get the Doc back and stick him upfront!

Right team - wrong tactics. Holt up front on his own with 30 yard plus crosses coming in from the full backs. When we played through the middle we looked dangerous but didn''t do it enough.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Right team - wrong tactics. Holt up front on his own with 30 yard plus crosses coming in from the full backs. When we played through the middle we looked dangerous but didn''t do it enough.[/quote]Agreed - I found it odd that we tore them apart with close passing through the middle of the pitch in the first 10 minutes, but then proceeded to bang countless long crosses into the box with little success. Not sure we can hold Lambert entirely responsible unless he told the team to change the way they played, which seems unlikely.

"Think i''m right in saying we''ve amassed 12 points in our last six games.

That''s promotion form''I think it''s 9 points from our last six games not 12 which actually falls well short of promotion form. We don''t play all our games at home which judging by our performances against Doncaster & Preston is just as well.Lambert has done a great job at this club but I agree with some other posters that starting at home against a weak Preston team with one up front was a mistake. His options are limited with Wilbraham who is clearly not good enough at this level, and Jackson who hasn''t come up to expectations. These are both Lambert purchases. I like many others cannot for the life of me understand why Wilbraham was brought to this club. I doubt whether he would make the bench for any other side in the top 10 of our division. It also didn''t help today that Holt played like a drain.As soon as Wilbraham comes onto the pitch the midfield gets bypassed and we play the long game. Our strength is our midfield. What''s the point!!For some reason Lambert has not been able to get the quality forward that a club such as ours with genuine promotion ambitions needs. The Foulger money was available in January. It is disappointing that Lambert has not been able to get the right player but it will be easier to get a suitable individual in the summer.We have come a long way in 18 months but I think our inadequacies in the final 3rd of the pitch will ultimately will leave us short of promotion. We have a midfield as good as any in this division. If we had the same quality of forward that got us promoted last time then we would have no problem in going up this campaign.

No Lambert wasn''t wrong!

It worked at Barnsley last week so why change a winning team?

Jacksons had plenty of game time this season and has mostly not produced!

Wilbraham can hold the ball up and flick it on well but doesn''t look good enough to score!

The freekick that led to Prestons goal was wrong. It was in fact a Norwich freekick cause Brown had fouled Ward the ref got that one badly wrong!

We missed a penalty!

Take away a bad decision from the ref and we''d of won the game!

[quote user="Stan Ley"]"Think i''m right in saying we''ve amassed 12 points in our last six games
. That''s promotion form''

I think it''s 9 points from our last six games not 12 which actually falls well short of promotion form. We don''t play all our games at home which judging by our performances against Doncaster & Preston is just as well.

Lambert has done a great job at this club but I agree with some other posters that starting at home against a weak Preston team with one up front was a mistake. His options are limited with Wilbraham who is clearly not good enough at this level, and Jackson who hasn''t come up to expectations. These are both Lambert purchases. I like many others cannot for the life of me understand why Wilbraham was brought to this club. I doubt whether he would make the bench for any other side in the top 10 of our division. It also didn''t help today that Holt played like a drain.

As soon as Wilbraham comes onto the pitch the midfield gets bypassed and we play the long game. Our strength is our midfield. What''s the point!!

For some reason Lambert has not been able to get the quality forward that a club such as ours with genuine promotion ambitions needs. The Foulger money was available in January. It is disappointing that Lambert has not been able to get the right player but it will be easier to get a suitable individual in the summer.

We have come a long way in 18 months but I think our inadequacies in the final 3rd of the pitch will ultimately will leave us short of promotion. We have a midfield as good as any in this division. If we had the same quality of forward that got us promoted last time then we would have no problem in going up this campaign.

[/quote]

Absolutely right there Stan. Whilst I agee the midfield ''squad'' is as good as anything else in this league, I do think (and have said this for ages) that as a unit our midfield can be very predictable due to lack of pace and width. Surman''s much vaunted ''left foot'' is well over rated particularly from dead ball positions although when the team are on top he is elegant and composed. Lansbury contributes little for long spells in the game but can pop up with a sublime pass or a goal.

We don''t know what has happened with McNamee but I would get him back on the bench and get him involved again when it''s clear we need something different. Remember the Burnley home game? He was electric in the second half - we need that width and pace now when the team run out of ideas.   

Failing that get Korey back on with orders to get wide and hassle the opposition that he can. That will also give Martin the confidence to get forward knowing that Korey is covering. 

I wouldn''t have changed the team from the one that won at Barnsley either but do agree that the one striker upfront didn''t work. He obviously doesn''t think that Wilbraham or Jackson are up to the job so lets hope he''s working hard to get a striker in for the Leic game.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]And I''d add that there''s a difference between identifying a good striker and signing him. For obvious reasons, they cost much more than other players, and we haven''t got money to waste. Lambert is clearly on the lookout for another striker on loan, and I''m sure we''ll bring one in. Oh, and we''re fourth.[/quote]

^^^^^ [Y]