Sign in to follow this  
Somerset Canary

Oli Johnson

As Yeovil Town is my local football team, I often watch them to get my fix of football, as watching Norwich on a regular basis is very difficult. I thought I would give you all an insight into how Oli is getting on.

Yeovil more often than not, play a 4-5-1 formation, with the the two wingers Andy Williams and Dean Bowditch supporting Oli up front. Speaking to more regulars, the general consencous is that he is playing well but is wowing anyone. Judging yesterdays performance and previous games,  he hasn''t been at his best playing down the middle and his finishing hasn''t been great (despite a fantastic 35yrd lob against Tranmere). When he swaps roles with one of the wingers, he has been far more effective and has great ability at taking on full backs with very clever feet. However, he does appear to be improving each time i see him and that is obviosly helped by an increase in the amount of games he is playing.

If we do achieve promotion this year, sadly i do not feel he will still be at the club but instead of being used up front, he could be utilised in a wide position to get in behind other teams. Would be a better option than Mcnamee IMO.

Other players of note who played yesterday that could do a job for us...

Dean Bowditch - Yes he is an ex-scummer but looks to good for league 1 football and would be very effective down the middle.

Anthony Pilkington - looks very good.

However, two players we should take a really close look at are Max Ehmer (cb) and Luke Ayling (rb). Yes, i know most will think that league 1 players would not be good enough for us but trust me, these two are the real deal.

Max Ehmer - Currently on loan from QPR. Was origionally a centre mid but has been moved to centre back and has formed a fantastic partnership with Paul Huntington. At only 18, his performances have been outstanding.

Luke Ayling - signed from Arsenal in the summer after impressing whilst he was on loan. Was a centre back but moved to right back because of injuries to other players and has been probably the teams best player this season. Also only 18. 

I would love to see Oli come on as a sub on the wing because as you said he has good feet and enough pace. He would also have the confidence to take on the full back after a run of games which McNamee has failed to do recently.