Sign in to follow this  
back of the net

WES - ATTITUDE

After taking a really awful penalty he just gave up, a number of times after losing the ball or the ball being close to him he just didn''t try. I''m sure I''m not the only one to notice this, maybe he should have been replaced with Korey.

In these last very important games we need players who will fight the cause and give their all, and get over it when they make a cock up.

Maybe true, but tell me this, if you had missed the pen in that way would you want somewhere to hide? The boy has been brillant for us so let''s not knock him, it''s a team game and the fans are part of the team.

Look forward to seeing him at Leicester on Tuesday, bet he will be on one!

He certainly owes us.  What a plank needs to leave his personal vendetta with PNE until the match has been won and then you can gloat.

Wes doesn''t owe us anything.  You only have to look at how many points he has single-handedly won us last season and this.Yes it was a stupid thing to do and cost us a victory but to say he didn''t try or to question his attitude is wrong.  You can see exactly how much it affected him afterwards - he didn''t try to hide, he still always wanted the ball but it shot his confidence to bits as nothing he did went right after that.  To be honest I thought he should have been taken off instead of Lansbury as it was obvious he''d gone.  I think it affected the entire team as clearly nobody expected him to take it in that manner.It was a mistake - a really stupid and irritating mistake, yes - but we all make them.  He hasn''t made that many for us.  We certainly can''t afford to drop our best player over a silly little incident like this.  I''m sure Lambert will have a word - Wes knows himself he was stupid also - and we''ll all move on and forget about this one.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Wes doesn''t owe us anything.  You only have to look at how many points he has single-handedly won us last season and this.

Yes it was a stupid thing to do and cost us a victory but to say he didn''t try or to question his attitude is wrong.  You can see exactly how much it affected him afterwards - he didn''t try to hide, he still always wanted the ball but it shot his confidence to bits as nothing he did went right after that.  To be honest I thought he should have been taken off instead of Lansbury as it was obvious he''d gone.  I think it affected the entire team as clearly nobody expected him to take it in that manner.

It was a mistake - a really stupid and irritating mistake, yes - but we all make them.  He hasn''t made that many for us.  We certainly can''t afford to drop our best player over a silly little incident like this.  I''m sure Lambert will have a word - Wes knows himself he was stupid also - and we''ll all move on and forget about this one.
[/quote]

Totally agreed, he was trying to hard if anything, its done now so a witch hunt will serve no purpose, sometimes nothing needs to be said. The sight of him running straight down the tunnel at the final whistle said everything, he was disraught, Just leave it. It wasnt the only mistake Holt should have stayed on his feet & wilbraham had a great chance at the end,     

Can we not draw a line under this? Wes made a stupid mistake from the spot, and was clearly utterly devastated by it - hence why he ran straight down the tunnel at the final whistle. I''m sure Lambert has had his say, and I think this is where we should leave it and look forward to the next game.As other posters have pointed out, it looked from the Barclay end like Wilbraham failed to hit the target from about 6 yards out so the responsibility for the draw should not solely be put down to Hoolahan. My worry is that his head won''t be right for Tuesday, and that certain fans are going to be constantly on his back in the next home match.

From the Jarold ( and the perfect angle ) Wilbraham shot at the near corner rather than shooting across the keeper.

IF it had gone in it would have been a very neat goal but he perhaps made the wrong call. It hit the back of the net and a lot of us were up only then noticing it was the back of the SIDE netting !

Ho hum !!!

Dont think its worth blaming anyone to be honest !!

Can equally blame Holt for his superman impersonation when clean through.

In that and the Wes incident you can argue :

JUST BLEEDING TOE PUNT IT LAD !!

In today''s MOS Lambert is quoted as saying that he doen''t think that Wes will try that again while he''s still the manager. No doubt PL made his views clear to Wes after the game. Will Wes continue to be first choice penalty taker? I should imagine so. 

A lot of things can be angled at Wes after yesterday but his attitude..................NO WAY. I alos noticed that things weren''t happening for him after that incident I also agree he was probably trying to hard. What sort of reception would he have got if he had been substituted?

I''m sure some morons would have booed.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]if we miss out on the playoffs/promotion by 2 points or 1 goal what will Wes feel then?

[/quote]

Or if we get into the play-offs/promotion he may look at the 3 points he won against Sheff Utd?!

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]if we miss out on the playoffs/promotion by 2 points or 1 goal what will Wes feel then?

[/quote]

Or if we get into the play-offs/promotion he may look at the 3 points he won against Sheff Utd?!

[/quote]

Exactly, people need to except he made a mistake, you know it, Lambert knows it, he knows it. You could see it was playing on his mind because he was making mistakes left right and centre after. Being dropped because of a bad penalty? Don''t make me laugh we just need someone else to take the penalty. Next match Lambert will have him hyped up and he will come out and tear Leicester apart.

Teams drop points by mistakes its life. If nobody made mistakes we would have won the league already.

[/quote]

If we do miss out on promotion by one or two points there are a lot of things throughout the season that you can attribute that to - and it is not just Norwich it is every team in the league that can look back on things and say if only - look at the home defeat by Crystal Palace and look at the draw with Doncaster again at home when they had 14 players out injured - take the blinkers off and realise this is the beauty of football and it will not be just a penalty miss that will stop us from going up by one or two points it is a multitude of things predominantly our failure to beat lower league clubs at home full stop. 

PL appreciates that we all operate in the ''here & now'' moment - not the past, nor the future. This is just one of the things PL learned in Germany where they deliberately do not over-analyse events. Its best to move on & focus on the next event that you CAN do something about. Like beating Leicester!

PS: Was speaking with an NCFC legend this morning about the penalty miss - his comment: "I don''t know what Wes was thinking; he should have put his foot clean through it - but he knows that better than anyone now doesn''t he?"...

Wes''s attitude has been excellent all season. He works his socks off and in the last month he has been our best player by some distance. He made a mistake and I will bet he won''t try it again. Lets just leave it at that. If we miss out by a couple of points it wont be down to Wes, it will be down to a number of p**s poor home performances throughout the season which have seen us chuck away numerous points, coupled with only having one striker who is able to score. If Sh*tbraham had taken his easy chance at the end (again) we would all be laughing at Wes''s mistake now.

"back of the net"]

After taking a really awful penalty he just gave up, a number of times after losing the ball or the ball being close to him he just didn''t try. I''m sure I''m not the only one to notice this, maybe he should have been replaced with Korey.

In these last very important games we need players who will fight the cause and give their all, and get over it when they make a cock up.

Agree that Hoolahan lost the plot after the penalty miss!

In the game it would if been better to sub him but what would that of done for his confidence in later games?

[quote user="pete"]He certainly owes us.  What a plank needs to leave his personal vendetta with PNE until the match has been won and then you can gloat.[/quote]

Yep he certainly owes us after being outstanding all season hat trick against Ipswich ect. Because it was Holt people are conveniently missing the fact that this could cost us dearly. Not only the goal he could have scored but the odds are that the yellow card received will mean missing one of our last games and our a play off semi / final. That is not a go at Holt it is protection of a player that if we are not careful will lose it for the rest of the season. We are a club in it together our players needs our support 100 % not a slating when anything goes wrong. 

Ridiculous saying if we miss out by a point or 2 at the end it''s his fault, you can pretty much go through the whole squad blaming players that have cost us a point or 2.Hoolahan up until that moment was AGAIN our best player, stupid mistake to make, let''s hope he makes up for it on tuesday

[/quote]

If he has any sense he''ll ignore idiotic conjecture like this and look at it in the context of other points lost by other players or under different circumstances - or think that the gap might have been more had he not have won some of the points he has undoubtedly won for us this season.

I''m sorry Jas, I usually have the greatest respect for your no-nonsense posts but this one is idiotic. No hard feelings though [:)][Y] 

[/quote]

Pathetic comment, it can be said that the last kick equalizer at millwall cost us 2pts as did drurys og last tues, Lappins turnstyle tackle against nuggent cost us 3pts, Holt getting sent off at reading cost us 2 more or maybe two last minute strikes recently gave us 4pts to keep us in with a shout... Team game, win together lose together, of cause its disappointing yes but it wont ruin what is a good season. move on.

He did something daft, we missed an opportunity, Lambert dealt with it. Thats enough for me, he''s a central player in us doing well with whats left of the season i dont want to see his confidence dented further personally.

[quote user="funny old game"]

[/quote]

Pathetic comment, it can be said that the last kick equalizer at millwall cost us 2pts as did drurys og last tues, Lappins turnstyle tackle against nuggent cost us 3pts, Holt getting sent off at reading cost us 2 more or maybe two last minute strikes recently gave us 4pts to keep us in with a shout... Team game, win together lose together, of cause its disappointing yes but it wont ruin what is a good season. move on.

[/quote]Spot on. People should leave the ridiculous over-analysis until the end of the season, and just move on to Leicester.