Sign in to follow this  
Ruddy Good

Our Defence is a Shambles!

Seriously we need to sort out our defence ASAP. No clean sheet in 15 games and we have now got the worst defensive record in the league. This isn''t good enough.

Our defending against the Villa was absolutely abysmal. Although the rest of the team were rubbish aswell i have to pick out the defence. Who was marking Hendrie when he found space 12 yards out? Who was marking Solano when he tapped the ball in with his head (He was the smallest player on the pitch)? Who was marking Ridgewell when he was free in the area? All 3 goals were given away by sloppy defending mainly our marking problems.

Yesterday against Boro 3 of the 4 goals conceded came from set pieces. Both Quedrue goals were sloppy marking by Jonson. He let Quedrue get away from him so he had so much time and space when the ball came to him. All he had to do was stick out his head and his foot and its a goal. This is basic set piece defending and stuff that they must do on the training ground everyday so why can''t they do it when it comes to a match? It is costing us dear.

Hasselbainks free kick. Alright it was brilliantly placed where Greeno couldnt get it but if our wall wasn''t faffing round for ages they might have prevented it. They kept on argueing with the ref and Boro players and kept on moving around. This is why i am annoyed with the players.

Also Boro seemed to have a hell of a lot more space than us in the midfield area? Poor marking, i think so.

If we dont stop leaking goals and making basic mistakes at the back soon, we are doomed.

We need a loan signing at the back ASAP.

It is a fair point , no doubt all the supporters will be swelling with pride at that come back, it does leave you to ponder the question on why we are chasing games all the time. Fair play on Ashton and Hucks but the time has come for a Shackell christening for a decent run or a few loan signings. Greeno is a mile ahead on the Optra index for saves , thank god for that. 

I agree with all you say Dammo!! to sum it up briefly, we''re just not getting to the ball first, and we do''nt attack the ball in the danger areas with the effort we should.

you say the defence is a shambles (and I thought so too until I saw the game later on motd) and then - quite correctly - identify Jonson as the player who failed to do his job (mark Quedrue) and its not unprecedented either.

Maybe those who booed his substitution might like to reconsider in hindsight. I think Worthington was spot on.

As for the other 2 goals :- the free-kick was dubiously awarded in the first place and the first Boro goal was a fluke.

If you look at our defence individually, its ok. Green is top-notch, Eddy is having a awesome season, Doherty is coming good, Charlton was a shrewd signing. perhaps Fleming is the weakest link?? I feel we need someone like Matt Elliot to organise the back line. We need a shouter!

It seems quite claer to me that one of the major problems is midfielder''s are not picking the runners on set peices, as this is where we concede a lot of goals the defence can not do it all its a team game i''m afraid .

For what it''s worth I think this is an excellent thread.

Firstly I have always worried about Jonson (he even looks like Daryl Sutch poor chap) but in the last couple of games I started to think perhaps he wasn''t that bad-nor should he damn well be based on his cv.

Yesterday, however, he re-affirmed by intial opinion of him. Quite simply he was awful. Where is this so called pace, where is this is class centering he is supposed to possess? He was at fault with both corners. I fear he got player of the month more for blood spilling than anything else.

Secondly I feel Worthy did another of his poor initial team selections. After Villa how the hell did Mullers get in the team? The team lacked pace in essential areas. The three substitutes transformed the team. McSmall, Leon and, remarkably Holt (who looked unfit, understandably, against Chelsea Reserves). Suddenly the team had energy and pace. The eyes of Ashton and Huckerby, two class players, seemed to double in size. Suddenly here was a team full of aggression, pace and effort. Funny that - very similar to the team that got us promotion!!

I think Worthy acknowledged the subs influence but the big test will be his team selection next time. Like a few on this board I do worry about the coaching staff. Is there anybody there other than ''Yes Men'' who will help Worthy with some good strong personal advice?

If only Bruce Rioch would offer himself to help.

Quote : It seems quite claer to me that one of the major problems is midfielder''s are not picking the runners on set peices, as this is where we concede a lot of goals the defence can not do it all its a team game i''m afraid .

Correct!!!  It was happening yesterday and, I have to say, all season

As I''ve said before, defending is a team effort and yesterday it was a case of switching off at set pieces. Sadly Mulryne played because there really was no other option, however Holt/Safri should be in contention for Everton which will give us a lot more defensive cover in midfield.

Jonson for me is a frustrating player at the moment. He''s improved over the last couple of months, however thats not what we can afford at the moment. Hopefully Worthy can get the kind of player in on loan that will take on the full back and whip a quality ball in.