Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

What's the point?

What''s the point of being 4th in the table with 11 games to go and having money in the bank, but not getting in a couple of loan strikers for 2/3 months when our chance conversion ratio is causing us to lose crucial points.

Worthy got in Hucks, Svennson, McKenzie and Cooper.

Is Lambert saying that he can find no better than Wilbraham and Jackson?

Curious.

Something doesn''t add up.

Who''s to say that we''ll have the same promotion opportunity next season when there is a good chance that the over-performance being wrung from an average squad will begin to peter out?

Hmmm...

OTBC

Maybe the players that Lambert wants to sign aren''t available ''til the summer?

Or maybe someone he wants will become available before the end of the season?

Should he then spend the money now on someone else so it''s not there when they are available?

Bly seriously.

Does this need explaining again?

Just because we want and need a striker doesn''t mean there is a GOOD ENOUGH one AVAILABLE.

The squads not average or over-performing. We''re where we are on merit, have probably the best midfield in the league and we have the best defender in the league (Martin is 10 places higher than the next best defender in the actim index.)

Sure we''re having problems with goals at the moment, but we were only a freak penalty miss from winning at the weekend and that would have put us joint on points with 2nd. We''re 7 points and several places from being outside of the playoffs.

No-one is going to let a proven on-form striker go out on loan at this point in the season so our options are to risk taking in a young promising but unproven striker from a premiership club, taking a striker who isn''t good enough to get on one of our rival clubs benches or stick with what we have and save our money for the summer.

If there are no strikers out there who are available for loan who cannot do a better job for us than Jackson and Wilbraham then the game is in a very bad way .The time to spend that money is now while we have half a chance of promotion because we are massively over performing and the chances of being around the top six again next season are very slim indeed.

It makes me laugh that people think Lambert isn''t out looking for a striker etc, he''s trying, he isn''t going to go out and sign a Kevin Phillips who''s probably on £20K a week and Birmingham aren''t going to let him join us for nothing and pay his wages for us. Lambert isn''t going to blow our budget on a 37yr old striker to play for 2months. Look at Robbie Blake he''s Bolton''s 6th choice striker who can''t even get on the bench there and he doesn''t want to come here. People think it''s easy but theres other teams looking for strikers too, look at Burnley, Patterson, Thompson & Charlie Austin all out for the season. If the right one becomes available i''m sure he will go for him but theres no guarantee''s one Lambert wants will become available.

How do you over perform for a whole season?

We are in this position, because we deserve it. Not because were over performing, or because everyone else is under performing. Some players and the team as a whole may have days when they are ''better'' than normal. But not over a whole season. Anyone who says we are over performing is deluded.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]How do you over perform for a whole season? We are in this position, because we deserve it. Not because were over performing, or because everyone else is under performing. Some players and the team as a whole may have days when they are ''better'' than normal. But not over a whole season. Anyone who says we are over performing is deluded.[/quote]

Didn''t Lambert say we are punching above our weight or something similar?  Was he deluded at the time?

Yeah but thats just Lambert playing are chances down, trying to make us the under dogs and to keep our feet on the ground.

If Lambert actually really means that about his own players, then my respect for him definatly lowers. Thats essentially saying the team isn''t good enough for promotion/play-offs. If he said that, i will make the presumption he is just playing down expectations, trying to get rid of some of the media attention, its not necessarily a wonderful thing.

I''m sure if Lambert thought he could get better quality here to make the team stronger then he would. There are alot of factors involved such as loan fee, wages, is the player fit? And most important is the player hungry enough to want to play for Norwich city FC?

[quote user="scrapy33"]I''m sure if Lambert thought he could get better quality here to make the team stronger then he would. There are alot of factors involved such as loan fee, wages, is the player fit? And most important is the player hungry enough to want to play for Norwich city FC?[/quote]

[Y]It''s pretty simple logic,so why is it hard to get it into peoples heads?!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]How do you over perform for a whole season?

We are in this position, because we deserve it. Not because were over performing, or because everyone else is under performing. Some players and the team as a whole may have days when they are ''better'' than normal. But not over a whole season. Anyone who says we are over performing is deluded.[/quote]Colchester came up a few seasons back and were in and around the top 6 most of the season , the next season they were relegated , they over - performed the whole season after promotion from League 1. Leicester were around the top 6 all last season on their first season back up and were struggling this season untill they got in rich owners a top manager and bought a lot of top players.Norwich are doing better than anybody could have expected this season , but if they miss out i dont see them up challenging again next season and thats why they should have used any funds available to push for it this season . Qpr got Ishmael Miller , Leicester got Yakubu , Burnley Charlie Austin (ok he''s out injured now but you get my point) Norwich got Wilbraham ..and we said we were going for it .

Will Lambert still be here next season?.....If with ambition and ''itchy feet'' he unfortunately goes to pastures new, will certain members of the backroom staff and players from our current squad also follow him?

Highly unlikely that Lambert (or even our current CE) will be here to see our ''seven year plan'' come to fruition.....

So......What''s the point?......

Are there contingency plans in place?......

I don''t think we are overperforming.

I think that''s more a statement about expectations than actual ability in performance.

First off as I have pointed out before although Holt is our only consistant goalscoring striker we are actually doing ok in the goal scoring department. Sure you want strikers to score goals but if we persist with the current system then only one out and out striker is needed. Holt has 4 in 6games now and the midfield has chipped in with others. If Wes had scored the pen and Holt had rightly had one awarded before you wouldn''t be asking that.

The fact of the matter is some sloppy defending earlier in the season has cost us more. But that is something we can''t change now unfortunately. All we can do is look to the next game and get a win, which we are capable of doing against any team in this league.

I would agree but I can''t think of any strikers who would be available/worth the money during the run in to the end of the season.

I''m sure he has looked at it, but seeing as it isnt football manager its not so simple as just getting in a prolific striker that isnt wanted by his club.

If....if.....if.....

But....but....but...

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Ask Worthy.

That''s how he got the job in the first place, and that''s how he got us promoted to the Prem.

I don''t remember him bleating about people not appreciating how far the club has come in the past 19 months.......

Self-satisfaction is a dangerous trait - and none moreso than in a football manager.

BowkettMcNallyLambert you need to get in a couple of goalscorers and make that push . Going for it I think was the way you put it.

Give Worthy a call if you need help. I''m sure nutty will facilitate it! [;)]

OTBC

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Will Lambert still be here next season?.....If with ambition and ''itchy feet'' he unfortunately goes to pastures new, will certain members of the backroom staff and players from our current squad also follow him?

Highly unlikely that Lambert (or even our current CE) will be here to see our ''seven year plan'' come to fruition.....

So......What''s the point?......

Are there contingency plans in place?......

[/quote]

Bowkett is the one who should answer your question on contingency plans.............

OTBC

[quote user="lappinitup"]Tell us then Bly, who should we be signing and more importantly, how much will they cost?[/quote]

We have a very well-paid staff - CEO and football manager- to do that.

Now if they can come up to my consultancy fees.......

[:)]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

If....if.....if.....

But....but....but...

Ask Worthy.

That''s how he got the job in the first place, and that''s how he got us promoted to the Prem.

I don''t remember him bleating about people not appreciating how far the club has come in the past 19 months.......

Self-satisfaction is a dangerous trait - and none moreso than in a football manager.

BowkettMcNallyLambert you need to get in a couple of goalscorers and make that push . Going for it I think was the way you put it.

OTBC

[/quote]

Perhaps we should get Naill the Doomcaster and Bazza the Skip back. They knew how to do it.

Give Rodge the Mumbler a call. I''m sure he will facilitate it.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

If....if.....if.....

But....but....but...

Ask Worthy.

OTBC

[/quote]

Perhaps we should get Naill the Doomcaster and Bazza the Skip back. They knew how to do it.

[/quote]

They won''t be of much help in locating the players we need.

Your Worthy is the lad.....

OTBC

http://services.pinkun.com/FORUMS/PINKUN/CS/forums/2433079/ShowPost.aspxYou started the above thread less than 48 hours before this one. Can''t you try to exercise a little more quality over quantity? Or is amnesia starting to creep in alongside the megalomania?

[quote user="Coelho"]http://services.pinkun.com/FORUMS/PINKUN/CS/forums/2433079/ShowPost.aspxYou started the above thread less than 48 hours before this one. Can''t you try to exercise a little more quality over quantity? Or is amnesia starting to creep in alongside the megalomania?[/quote]

Ah, the forum police.

If you can''t detect the difference may I suggest you get some help?

That''s why some people can''t understand why they can''t pass exams, I guess.. Sigh.

But still. One love.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

If....if.....if.....

But....but....but...

Ask Worthy.

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

What would he know.... He bought that Etooohoooo (booo!) and played him before Rossi Jarvis..... Worthy Out [:@][:''(]

[quote user="Ncfc"][quote user="Gingerpele"]How do you over perform for a whole season?

We are in this position, because we deserve it. Not because were over performing, or because everyone else is under performing. Some players and the team as a whole may have days when they are ''better'' than normal. But not over a whole season. Anyone who says we are over performing is deluded.[/quote]Colchester came up a few seasons back and were in and around the top 6 most of the season , the next season they were relegated , they over - performed the whole season after promotion from League 1. Leicester were around the top 6 all last season on their first season back up and were struggling this season untill they got in rich owners a top manager and bought a lot of top players.Norwich are doing better than anybody could have expected this season , but if they miss out i dont see them up challenging again next season and thats why they should have used any funds available to push for it this season . Qpr got Ishmael Miller , Leicester got Yakubu , Burnley Charlie Austin (ok he''s out injured now but you get my point) Norwich got Wilbraham ..and we said we were going for it .[/quote]

Why cant we do it next season? £2m to spend we know, another £2m from season ticket sales and we could have a great summer of exciting signings and push next year and just see what we''ve got and where it takes us this season.

i agree!! we have made it this far it would be stupid to drop out of the play-off so close to the end of the season.  We need a striker but i believe Lambert will be working hard to get the right man in im sure of that!!

(watch out for gingerpele replying "ever wondered why your not the manager" blaa bla blaaaa)

I think its pretty common for promoted teams to over perform. Luton did it not many years ago when coming up to the Championship. Blackpool did it at the start of this season too. That team spirit and winning habit can be hard to break and can make a big difference. But in the Premiership, its hard to sustain the results and the promoted teams inevitably go on a run of losses and start to lose morale and the mood changes to one of struggling for survival as it has now with Blackpool. When relegated, teams often under perform compared to expectations (middlesborough this year? Norwich after Prem season?) and that I believe is because the losing habit is hard to break too.

We had that losing habit when we dropped down to League 1 and look how we started that season. But in came an inspirational manager and that attitude quickly changed. Just a year and a half later we sit 2 points off automatic promotion to the Premier League. But are we over performing? Can we repeat this form next year if we fail to go up? Thats a tough question to answer.

Personally, I think that if we keep our manager and add more quality to our squad in the summer, we can continue in the same vein. But if we lost Lambert, is there anybody that would expect us to be top 6 next season? I doubt many would back us for it. If we lost Holt or Wes, could we still do it? I think that our squad is performing better than the sum of its parts, and is highly dependent upon some key parts, but rather than just being down to the morale boosting promotion, I think that in our case it is more down to the manager and the spirit he has built amongst the players. So if we can hold everything together I see no reason why we can''t go onwards and upwards next year.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

If....if.....if.....

But....but....but...

Ask Worthy.

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

What would he know.... He bought that Etooohoooo (booo!) and played him before Rossi Jarvis..... Worthy Out [:@][:''(]

[/quote]

How dare you make dubious remarks about our former England C International now bestriding the fourth division.

(Blame Wiki, not me!)

OTBC