Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

1971. A day in our history. Were you there?

How odd to see none of the players surrounding the referee and arguing!!! They just got on with playing the game.

I had a schoolgirl crush on Franny Lee[:$]..........those were the days

I was living in Birmingham having been moved from Norwich due to my Dad''s job. I was bought and made to wear a Wolves kit.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

I was there at Watford when City got promoted as Champions  to the top tier for the first time.

Remember BIG DUNC and David Stringer at the back. How many others do you remember? 

[/quote]

I was there too Tangie. But do you remember that Big Dunc wasn''t really that big? Six foot two eyes of blue he was not. But he was a BIG leader with the heart of a lion.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

I was there at Watford when City got promoted as Champions  to the top tier for the first time.

Remember BIG DUNC and David Stringer at the back. How many others do you remember? 

[/quote]I remember it well Tangy. It rained like hell that afternoon and we were all in the uncovered end. Then someone decided to take the covered end and we all ran the length of the pitch to get undercover. Bloody hooligans.What a day though, wet through but very happy.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[/quote]

I remember it well Tangy. It rained like hell that afternoon and we were all in the uncovered end. Then someone decided to take the covered end and we all ran the length of the pitch to get undercover. Bloody hooligans.

What a day though, wet through but very happy.
[/quote]

Watford ''72

We''re on there somewhere Rickyyyyy!

thanks for the link - an interesting game...but I can''t lie, the football is very slow & full of basic errors, as were most games I''ve seen from back then. Ok, they were a lot more honest as sportsmen and the tackles crunched away...but I''d much rather watch our modern day "pass-fest", full of pace and skill.

alf ramsay said of the game "the best game I''ve ever seen". blimey?!

Of course you''re right Spencer. The biggest change has been the speed of the game. Footballers are now athletes. Back then they had room to play but now only the very best players can find any space at all.

This video shows the space players had. Take a lokk at Graham Paddon in the highlights against Blackpool. He had all day to pick his spot! But he still could teach Our Wesley a thing or two about penalties[;)]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKrGdY6VeAI