Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Get in TWO more strikers on loan, now. We need a push

I had thought that BowkettMcNallyLambert understood the need for a push. Was I wrong to have faith?

With CMartin out we need 2 strikers in on loan following the Steve Bruce philosophy for promotion from this league that ''you can''t have too many strikers''.

Play 1/2 to start with and have 3 on the bench to chop and change as circumstances dictate.- and pray that 1 of the 4 finds some form to help out Holt. Strikers thrive on confidence and competition

As Brutus said to Cassius in Shakespeare''s ''Julius Caesar'' on the final phase of the civil war in which they were engaged:

There is a tide in the affairs of men.

Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;

Omitted, all the voyage of their life

Is bound in shallows and in miseries.

On such a full sea are we now afloat,

And we must take the current when it serves,

Or lose our ventures.

NOW IS THE TIME FOR THAT PUSH!

That''s my view.

What say you?

OTBC

We know we are looking for one via Robbie Blake but hopefully the Kokko trial may be a success. I reckon Jackson is due a game and the way he played today he should start netting soon, do NOT write him off yet. Wilbraham on the other hand...

[quote user="jed exodous"]Come on then, realistically, who you gonna go for?[/quote]

Better than Wilbraham & Jackson to start with. Otherwise what''s the point being 4th with 12 games to go & cash in the bank - and then missing auto all for the sake of a 2 months of loan money?

I''d start with a hard push for Robbie Blake and Kevin Phillips.

Money talks - as do challenges in life.

OTBC

Kevin Phillips

Emile Heskey

Benny Macarthy

Adam le Fondre

Clive Platt

John Sutton

I agree, i think those 2 could do a job, however Blake dont wanna join.  If you read the Simon Cox thread from a day or 2 ago, you''ll see i mentioned Phillips and most posters thought he was over the hill.  I dont, i think he''d still score a few at this level.  Simon Cox is another mentioned on here, but o dont rate him that highly and dont think hes any better than we have.  Its difficult because there aren''t many options.  None of our rivals will loan us anyone decent and we dont want a player from abroad whos never played English football. 

[quote user="sgncfc"]

Kevin Phillips - yep

Emile Heskey - no chance they''d loan him

Benny Macarthy - no way, completely out of shape and form

Adam le Fondre - massive gamble on a player whos not played at this level

Clive Platt - not the right sort of striker

John Sutton - no idea about him or what he''d offer so no comment

[/quote]

[quote user="jed exodous"]I agree, i think those 2 could do a job, however Blake dont wanna join.� If you read the Simon Cox thread from a day or 2 ago, you''ll see i mentioned Phillips and most posters thought he was over the hill.� I dont, i think he''d still score a few at this level.� Simon Cox is another mentioned on here, but o dont rate him that highly and dont think hes any better than we have.� Its difficult because there aren''t many options.� None of our rivals will loan us anyone decent and we dont want a player from abroad whos never played English football.�[/quote]

Ive been banging on about Phillips for a month. Just the kind of player you want to bring on with 20-25 minutes left, just needs half a chance!

[quote user="sgncfc"]Kevin Phillips

Emile Heskey

Benny Macarthy

Adam le Fondre

Clive Platt

John Sutton[/quote]

Heskey would be very, very interesting.

I wonder if he''s up for a challenge?

OTBC

[quote user="CDMullins"]Craig Mackail Smith... Similar deal they did with Boyd to Forest this time last year![/quote]

Think Posh would want around 2.5 - 3million for him.  Hes a good player, but with Posh up there in league 1, and not under any pressure to sell, cant see that they''d wanna loan him or that we could afford to put all our eggs in one basket.  Would be a massive gamble imo...

Thats the Steve Bruce whose Sunderland squad currently only have three strikers?. People keep suggesting we get in strikers on loan but i havent seen many realistic suggestions just really daft ones from teams competiting in our own division like Ched Evans (why would sheffield Unt?) or even Paul Hayes (why would we want to?).

There just arnt that many strikers in the premier league who arnt getting a game. Maybe Cox from West Brom would have been realistic but dont really know to much about him, or maybe we could push the boat out and go for someone like Diomansy Kamara at Fulham.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]That''s my view. What say you? OTBC

[/quote]Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!

[IMG]http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g445/lappinitup/sobbing.jpg[/IMG]

I am reminded that at various points in 2003-04 we got in quality signings like Huckerby, Crouch, Svensson and McKenzie - plus that chap in the run-in who played right midfield, forgotten his name.

Has the availability of players of that quality suddenly dried up 6 years later?

WHERE THERE"S A WILL THERE''S A WAY.

We''re told that money is in the bank. What is needed is the will to get in a couple of strikers on loan for 2/3 months. That won''t break the bank, but it may well be the spur to get us over the finishing line.

OTBC

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]Phillips would be a great option- but what are his wages like?[/quote]

I don''t see why his wages for 2/3 months should be a concern if he can fire in a few goals which would otherwise not be scored and thereby help to get us promotion.

OTBC

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]Phillips would be a great option- but what are his wages like?[/quote]Probably about 40k a week, I reckon. Although I really don''t think Birmingham would loan him out - they''re in the bottom three now, and he''s in their 25-man squad. What manager in a Premiership survival dogfight would loan out one of the deadliest (English) finishers of his generation? They would be mad to let him go at this point.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]I am reminded that at various points in 2003-04 we got in quality signings like Huckerby, Crouch, Svensson and McKenzie - plus that chap in the run-in who played right midfield, forgotten his name.

Has the availability of players of that quality suddenly dried up 6 years later?

We''re told that money is in the bank. What is needed is the will to get in a couple of strikers on loan for 2/3 months. That won''t break the bank, but it may well be the spur to get us over the finishing line.

OTBC[/quote]Kevin Harper by any chance? He may be past his best.....

Blimey, so we''re one win off an automatic promotion place and teh panic button is being well and truly pushed?

Lambert clearly isn''t panicing yet, I think some of you need to calm down and haev a bit of faith in his ability to finish the job.

Grumbling either at the match, or on here really isn''t going to help anything.

[:)]

[quote user="Tony DaWonderful"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]I am reminded that at various points in 2003-04 we got in quality signings like Huckerby, Crouch, Svensson and McKenzie - plus that chap in the run-in who played right midfield, forgotten his name.

OTBC[/quote]Kevin Harper by any chance? He may be past his best.....[/quote]

No, not Harper, he was before Xmas as I recall.

I''m almost sure there was another chap we had in for a couple of months after Xmas - he was better than bites-yer-legs Harper!

OTBC

Wow!  We werent panicking like this after Barnsley were we!  I really dont think we need this other striker I''m happy with the squad we have and if we play Hoolahan off Holt then we will get plenty of goals.  Today was just one of those games, when we get another Barnsley like result and performance we will all be content again.

[quote user="jed exodous"]

[quote user="CDMullins"]Craig Mackail Smith... Similar deal they did with Boyd to Forest this time last year![/quote]

Think Posh would want around 2.5 - 3million for him.� Hes a good player, but with Posh up there in league 1, and not under any pressure to sell, cant see that they''d wanna loan him or that we could afford to put all our eggs in one basket.� Would be a massive gamble imo...

[/quote]

Posh could still use the money. And they let Boyd to to Forest last year on loan, with a view to permanent should all parties be happy.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Coelho"]Kevin Cooper.[/quote]

Yes that''s him.

Thanks Coelho.

OTBC[/quote]I think Jed Exodous beat me to it, actually... but I''ll happily take the plaudits [H]

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="jed exodous"]

Think Posh would want around 2.5 - 3million for him.� Hes a good player, but with Posh up there in league 1, and not under any pressure to sell, cant see that they''d wanna loan him or that we could afford to put all our eggs in one basket.� Would be a massive gamble imo...

[/quote] Posh could still use the money. And they let Boyd to to Forest last year on loan, with a view to permanent should all parties be happy.[/quote]

Weren''t Posh already like 10 points adrift though?  Think there season season was just about over and they knew it.  It was plan by Fry to try and get a lot more money for Boyd than he was actually worth.  He knew Forest were in with a good chance of promotion so they would be flush with cash and he knew Posh were all but doomed.  Think its slightly different because Posh are pushing for promotion.  The other thing is, you know fans would be on here moaning about signing league 1 players and not taking into account his potential...

The fact that Robbie Blake would rather play for Bolton reserves than a Norwich side with a realistic chance of a top 2 place said two things to me -

1, He isn''t that hungry as a player anymore!

2, Lambert can see what most of us do - We need more and better upfront!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]The fact that Robbie Blake would rather play for Bolton reserves than a Norwich side with a realistic chance of a top 2 place said two things to me -

1, He isn''t that hungry as a player anymore!

2, Lambert can see what most of us do - We need more and better upfront![/quote]Agree completely. Unlike Phillips who has played most of his career in the Premier League, scoring for fun at times, Blake has played most of his in the Championship. So whilst both players are past their best, in my opinion Phillips would offer us much more out of the two, because his ''best'' was much better than blake''s and I feel as though he''s still the better player now.