Sign in to follow this  
Calcio Canary

Burnley /Pauil Lambert/Strikers

PL will surely be feeling the pressure this week as he prepares the squad to go again at Burnley. He is well aware that the strikers, especially in terms of putting the ball in the back of the net, are not delivering at the moment.

So, all I am saying is that this his first really serious test for a long time and there certainly appeared to be tell-tale signs in his post match interview last night. He may have thought being back at home might have produced a change, but it didn''t.

I am quite confident that he will work his magic once more over the next 3 - 4 days, but if they fail again at Burnley, what do you think he will do? Surely at this stage and in the current poistion we are in, he will need to take more drastic steps.

Your views please?

One of their posters claimed he had a good game against Palace and that there fans make a lot of noise. Dunno whether he was at the same game as me on Saturday! But Lansbury was fantastic yesterday and judging by his celebrations he really wants to be here. So I think Wenger would be reluctant to recall him. Lets hope so anyway!

The strikers are a concern - only Holt has scored as a striker in the past six matches, and he has scored one to the six scored by the rest of the team.

I think that he has to persevere, and Holt has to play if he is fully fit. He has had brief lean periods before, and then suddenly come back with a burst of four of five in a few games.

Who should partner him? The one playing most consistently is probably Wilbraham, despite the fact that he is trying to accustom himself to the higher division. But he is a chance provider rather than a goal taker. Perhaps on the bench, to come on with the other two if we need goals at the end?

Martin v. Jackson.

I would prefer Martin, if there is to be decent service from the wings. His footwork and control within a crowded penalty area is better, and he has headed some good goals.

Ultimately, if the dearth of striker goals continues we can''t expect the midfield and defence to compensate, although they have done a good job, especially since Christmas. So PL will have no option but to consider a loan striker.

Who we could get on loan I have no idea, but even a veteran goal converter like Philiips would surely score several.There may be others like him. I don''t think a young premiership reserve player will suffice.

If we are to get a loan striker, as he will be with us only to the end of the season when transfers plus Cody/Oli will be here, PL could break his rule of only hungry young men.

great post salopian. i think your dead right, what we need now is experienced and proven rather than young and hungry. kevin phillips certainly knows where the goal is