Sign in to follow this  
Old Man Andy

Supporter or Spectator?

First of all, apologies for starting a new thread about a topic that is already under discussion elsewhere on this board.

This whole business about people who leave early is interesting.

Hundreds of people left the ''Boro game when we went 1-4 down. Fair enough. It''s a free country. Allegedly. As far as I know, it''s not against the law to give up and go home.

However, all those "supporters" who abandoned the team in their hour of need missed some of the most incredible scenes I''ve ever witnessed at Carrow Road. The scenes of unbelievable joy, relief, passion, pride and sense of "togetherness" that was shared by everyone who stuck it out, hoping and praying that the small miracle that did happen might  happen, will live with me ''till the day I go to that great big Snakepit in the sky. The last ten minutes of Saturday''s game summed up what being a "supporter" is all about. We only got a point for it, but it felt like we''d won the Champion''s League.

Supporters take part in the occasion. They can actually make a difference. They shout, sing, scream, swear, laugh and cry. In short...... they care.

Spectators (like the bloke who sits to the left of me at every home game) just sit there silently and sullenly, occasionly shooting me filthy looks when I disturb his peace and quiet by having the temerity to sing or (even worse) stand up in excitement as Darren Huckerby goes on another rampage past the opposition''s right back in front of the ''Pit. He might as well sit at home and watch Ceefax.

Of course, this bloke left 10 minutes before the end on Saturday. Bloody well serves him right.

Sometimes, I think that we underestimate just what a difference we (the fans) can make. Ask any of the players. They really do respond when we get right behind them. Whoever it was who started that defiant "loyal supporters!" chant in the Barclay after we went 1-4 down, which led onto the loudest "On The Ball, City" I''ve heard for a long time, can be very proud.

Don''t just spectate. Take part in it. Be a supporter. It might just make the difference between Premiership or Coca-Cola football next season.

You have some good points ther Old Man...But surley those players out there on the pitch do not need to hear ''On The Ball City'' to make them play better.Pulling on the Yellow shirt & being payed stupid money should be enough to want to make them play football week in week out.So if know one sings at our next home game,will the players just stand there & sulk untill we sing? As for the singing supporters,yes it is great when you hear the possitive chants all around the ground...BUT it is usually those same set of supporters who boo,whistle & get on the players backs the loudest when they are not performing!

You''re wrong Two Sheds. We ARE the 12th man. When our team is being beaten by a superior team and all looks lost, we can give the players that extra boost, intimidate the opposition just a little, and lift those tired limbs for one final push. Surely what you witnessed on Saturday, at first hand, the effect it can have, can be in no doubt.

Saturday''s MOTM: Number 13.