Sign in to follow this  
Chunky!

Worthy's Future at the club

Firstly, I am a massive Worthy fan, I think that he has done us proud over the last few seasons and the improvement in the work ethic and team-sprit has been fantastic! And I believe the worst thing we could do now or during next season is to replace him!

Our squad, with the exception of 2/3 players, isn''t middle of the table class, this is something we can''t remedy, we can''t afford to go and buy 3/4 players who can give us the instant jump we need, and we don''t have the money or a reckless board to get the millions we''d need to buy those players this season or before the start of the season.

On this board (and 606) in the last couple of weeks, there are have been a number of "what-ifs" and "what when''s". The fact of the matter is, if anyone seriously thought staying up was going to be easy, they were out of their minds, the 3 teams who came up have struggled and if we do stay up, it will be through luck and hard graft, and we will still be in the mix for relegations next year barring some major miracle.

Now to my what-ifs....
Quite simply, the worst thing we can do "if" we go down is start playing around with the management or squad, we need to take what we''ve got and build, not wreck everything the club has built in the last 2/3 years, we''ve made the jump from middle/bottom of Div 1 to top Div1/bottom premiership, now we need to give worthy and co the chance to build again. Yes we need to buy players, and yes its agongy watching players being outclassed at times and wishing we had the money to fix it, but even *if* we could convince someone like Redknapp to come here, how can we afford to buy players willy-nilly? We can''t, and thats the main issue. Give Worthy some more time and money to continue building the squad and we''ll see where we go then and then deal with the problem if it ever appears, we''ve all seen the class that helveg, safri and jonson have started to display now they''re settled, and even if they do make (lots?) of mistakes, they are all part of the process we need to start now, whether we stay up or go down, building a solid (and larger?) squad to support an effort next season or the season after at making a push into the bottom to middle of the prem.

And, as a final message, to all the people who knock worthy and his tactics, I think even Worthy makes mistakes, and yes, sometimes his apparent inability to critise players in public is *very* frustrating, I ask you to do one thing, name one manager, given our budget and reputation, who could do better? He''s a young manager, and the continuity we need next season can only be given by Worthy and the management team. Any attempts to break up the management would cause much more damage that the short-term gains we (might) see.

OTBC!

Chris

I think you''re exactly right Chris.  This club needs stability.  Stability is so so important.  If we are going to model ourselves on Charlton then we need to look at their management.  Curbishley has stayed there and come good.  He''s built them up gradually.  I think thats whet we''re trying to do.

The board have been sensible without being reckless.  If, IF, we did go down I think we could keep the nucleus of the squad.  Only Damo, Greeno and players who didn''t want to play in the first Div would leave.  If this was the case, we would have an absolutely superb first Div team and we could build on this season.

It''s all about stability.

I think the only reason to ever sack a manager is if he has problems off the field or he has created a rift with the players. They should never go because of league position or a few bad performances.

Look at Curbishley at Charlton and Ferguson at Man U. They''ve both been there for donkeys years and run solid football clubs. Why? because through thick and thin the supporters and boardrooms have kept faith and not sacked them for silly reasons.

Now look at clubs like Southampton and Spurs who change managers like a pair of pants. Where do they ever get? Nowhere. They sack managers for a few bad results, spend millions finding a replacement, then sack them for the same reason. If the manager was so bad, why hire him in the first place?!!

My argument is; keep faith with the manager and it almost always pays dividends. Even if relegated.

I totally agree with the comments above. Worthy has done brilliantly with what he''s had available. Yes, he''s made mistakes, but tell me anyone in any job who hasn''t done so. If he had the money to spend that other Clubs did, then we''d be mid / top-table without a doubt. That''s why Chelsea winning the League will be such a disappointment, because they will have bought success, not worked for it. Consistency will be the key for us; we will be a regular fixture in the Premiership within 5 years, IF we hang on to Worthy, I''ve no doubt about that whatsoever. Worthy is the new Curbishley! Our main problem is how to hang on to him; I''m just grateful that Lawrie Sanchez is in line for an extended contract with the Northern Ireland team.

Totally agree: Trust in Worthy, for we are not worthy...

To me, the area that has to change is in the coaching.  I''m not even sure who the main coaches are at present, but judging by the inconsistencies and frequent basic errors that we see each week, I think that the problem is plain to us all.  For the players, Worthy and the coaches, the step up to Premiership life was always going to be hard.  The players had no experience of Premiership football - nothing we could do about that with the budgets we had available.  Worthy had no managerial Premiership experience - a big gap that we have had to live with, as he finds his feet slowly.  What about the coaches?  Premiership hardened or no?  I don''t know the answer, but for me surely it would be easier to boost the coaching staff with a few old pros who know the Premiership ropes.  A good coach should be able to bring out the best of the worst of players (no names mentiones here!)...

...keep it low...

Good post, I agree with you. I also feel that if, and I know it is a big one, if we stay up we would have another pile of cash to invest. We alreadly have a good nucleus, Greeno, Damo, Hucks and Ashton, three more £3m players and we could have a good enough team to stay there.

He, and his coaching team, have got us here, so let them continue.

A good, thoughtful, post, Chris. I agree with all your points: Worthy has made mistakes, but every manager has. Indisputably though, he has been the major factor in the turnaround at City (remember that most of the current board itself was in place during the dire Hamilton era and before, so they can''t take too much credit for improvement in terms of football, even though they''ve done a good job on the business side). And I don''t think it''s wrong to avoid criticising your players in public (and though we''re fans, we ARE the public): he understands it''s not necessary or productive.

The main areas IMO where we need to, and can, improve (and this applies to most clubs without massive resources) are technical coaching, and scouting. But you don''t tear the house down because you don''t like the lounge wallpaper.

The most stupid thing of all is calling for Worthy to be replaced by Dowie. I didn''t hear that a few weeks ago when we were 17th and Palace were in the Zone, and I don''t expect to hear it in a few weeks, when Palace drop back into the Zone. Fickle? No, not even that good: just stupid

Yep, totally agree Chris, I''m a big Worthy fan although sometimes some of his tactics aren''t what I would probably do, but yep, if we want to progress as a club gradually then we''ve got a good man in charge.

I think the majority of fans share this view as illustrated on Saturday, when at 4-1 down the Barclay started singing "Nigel, Nigel Worthington, Nigel, Nigel Worthington" a great show of support even though we were getting tonked. If we keep behind him in this way, we will establish ourselves as a Premiership club. Maybe not this year but eventually.