Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

PL's best signing?

Leaving aside one or two who could be very good but who have only played a few games - Surman, Whitbread and Lansbury, I think that there are four candidates.

Russell Martin:

- written off last year but some super perormances this year. (We didn''t know about his enervating illness last year!) He has scored important goals also.

John Ruddy:

- still not perhaps the complete top class goalkeeper - they mature later than other players) and having made a slightly unsure start, he has emerged as a stalwart and saved us and points in several games.

Leon Barnett:

- athletic and quick, the latter lacking among most of our other CBs. He will improve with experience, and not get out of position so often.

Andrew Crofts: - provides bite in the midfield, support to the attack, and non-stop running. His performance has improved under PL. In his best year at Brighton hem scored 5 goals in 44 matches, while here he has notched 6 in 27 already, and could even become our second highest scorer this year.

All these signings are a credit to PL and make significant contributions to the team.

I would not want to rank them, but for me Crofts is the most improved and arguably makes the greatest contribution.

Lambert certainly has an eye for a good player, and a decent deal!

I would personally have to choose Barnett, for his young age and ability, he was a steal. Could have kept Bellamy quiet all afternoon.

Glad you mentioned the others though, they have all turned out to be stars!

David Fox shouldn''t be left off that list. Even though we went on to win against Millwall when he came off, I thought that we missed him. He has such a level head when on the ball and you can tell that everything is just that bit more calculated when he is on the pitch. Yes I know my username is an ode to Fox and I may have a bit of biased towards him but I honestly feel that while Crofts does add some bite to the midfield, we lack vision without Fox on the field.

Even though Fox is my favourite player, I can''t help but admire what Russell Martin has done by turning round the views of so many fans with his outstanding performances. It''s also no coincidence that when Martin is having a quiet game nowadays, we don''t look as imposing going forward.

Crofts for me, He is our Gerrard. He is box to box scores goals makes great tackles and is one of very few in the squad who is capable of grabbing a game by the scruff of the kneck and pulling us a result out, When he plays well city play well.

Really tough call.

I think I''d probably go for Leon Barnett, he has been an instant success for us and I haven''t seen a better centreback in the league this season. Best defender we have signed for years and years.

Russell Martin has gone from strength to strength and for what I guess he cost (not very much I''d have thought) he''s been an excellent signing.

Crofts has been something of a revelation as well. Easily making the step up from League 1. His form probably dipped off for a few weeks but even then he hasn''t had what you''d call a bad game. Fox made a slightly slower start to his City career but he has shown himself to be a very good footballer and another who is more than comfortable at Championship level.

Ward has also done very well for us and played a big part in getting us to where we are this season. Surman looks a classy player and Whitbread looks a better prospect this season than he did last season. John Ruddy is also starting to look the part after a dodgy start.

So...in conclusion... Leon Barnett just about wins but he''s only one of a number of a good signings Paul Lambert has made.

Barnett.

It so many years since I''ve felt we''ve had a youngish solid CB. This is the best thing Lambert has done - Realising we can''t go forward with defenders who have the turning circle of an HGV with zero pace.

Although the OPs question is singular as in ''signing''

I regard the signings of Surman and Whitbread - as I feel their best is yet to come....

Has to be Ruddy for me.

After all the abuse he took from certain morons on here he has really improved- one of his saves at Selhurst was fantastic.

Yes his kicking can be dodgy but he has enough redeeming qualities.

The very fact that he is being compared to quality players like Crofts and Barnett shows how well he has done.

RUDDY! RUDDY! RUDDY!