Sign in to follow this  
Captain Holt

Chris Martin

I''m gonna hold my hands up and say that he needs to come back into the side. He looked sharp today and actually put himself about!! Could''ve scored three times and definitely looked better than Jackson (but I don''t think he had a particularly bad game either).

Well played, gotta keep it up.

Harsh to say Wilbraham isn''t doing enough he hasn''t been here long enough or had enough time in the team to judge him.

Harsh but true where Wilbrahams concerned!

I think and hope theirs more to come from Wilbraham but the facts are that so far he doesn''t win enough balls in the air, his passing is not on the same wavelength as the rest of the team and he doesn''t seem sharp enough!

I actually think that Martin, Jackson and Wilbraham can play well which we''ve seen in flashes, but overall from what I''ve seen of them this season I seriously doubt whether they are good to do it consistently enough which is a must for a team making a serious effort at getting promoted! 

Im confused as to why we signed Wilbraham. We wanted to get in players who are going to push us into the top 2 and keep us there, and preferably all the signings we made could make instant impacts. And yet we sign Wilby who is not a very prolific scorer, especially in this league. Its not like we got him for the future either! Surely it''d have made more sense to save his wages and transfer fee, and try to sign somebody who has proved that he can score in this league. Wilby certainly won''t play in the Premier League for us!

I guess if it''s a straight choice between Jackson and Martin imo they both look pretty much the same level of threat in front of goal as each other, so it comes down to who does the more for the team in terms of general play and for me Chris Martin edges it. But really dont see any point in getting on either of their backs, i''m sure Lambert soon says if he thinks they arnt doing enough.

[quote user="ryan1992"]Im confused as to why we signed Wilbraham. We wanted to get in players who are going to push us into the top 2 and keep us there, and preferably all the signings we made could make instant impacts. And yet we sign Wilby who is not a very prolific scorer, especially in this league. Its not like we got him for the future either! Surely it''d have made more sense to save his wages and transfer fee, and try to sign somebody who has proved that he can score in this league. Wilby certainly won''t play in the Premier League for us![/quote]

I think Wilbraham was mainly brought in as cover for Holt, not really to play alongside him. So as we needed back up in that area i guess Lambert felt he was a good cheap option who wont rock the boat if he cant dislodge Holt from the side which was always going to be unlikely. I dont think we''ll get to see his true worth unless Holt gets a knock or suspension.

Yellowbeagle - spot on, Wilbraham was brought in purely as cover for Holt, he''s getting game time with Holt purely because Martin and Jackson have been struggling a wee bit.

As I''ve said before, Martin is by far our best choice as he offers more to the team than Jackson other than just goals. He was a slightly heavy touch away from putting us 2-1 up when he went through 1 v 1 and I''m sure he''ll score more goals as this season progresses and get between 10-15 which isn''t bad for a second striker in a team like ours that scores from midfield and defence aswell.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

We need a loan striker to come in who can do a proper job straightaway!

Martin, Wilbraham and Jackson aren''t doing enough, that noone can argue about whether you rate them or not!

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more.

Holt is good at this level. Martin is average at this level. Jackson could be average at this level but is poor at the moment and Wilbraham, i''m just not sure why we signed him.

I love the rest of our team - Just not that enthused by our strikers. We need to get a spanking one in on loan. Could be the difference.

I agree with the general feeling that Martin isn''t scoring enough, and I''ve been his biggest critic on here because I think he''s lazy, but yesterday he looked sharp and hustled and bustled the defence a bit more than usual.

Neither of them are scoring anyway, so it''s hard to argue who''s the one to pick from Martin and Jackson in general.

Totally agree Cap Holt, he looked good when he came on, but that chance he missed is really why he''s paid as a striker.

I think Fox or Smith could have looked good coming on and pinging the ball around, but we really needed someone to come on and score.

I hate dogging on Martin, but for me, he''s a backup striker in this league and we are missing another top end Championship class striker to partner Holt. I believe it shouldn''t be too hard persuading a Prem club to let go of one of their not so used strikers to come here on loan given we are right at the top end of this league.

I think any squad ideally needs 5 strikers.

Holt + someone

Martin and Jackson on the bench

Wilbraham as Holt''s backup if he gets injured.

Looking at our strikers:

Do the individuals in this team really see themselves as Champions I wonder? Martin failing to hit the net with 3 opportunities yesterday suggests otherwise. Holt on occasions is doing the same. Jackson doesn’t seem to know what he’s supposed to do and Wilbraham is getting game time beyond his wildest dreams simply because the other 3 are not finding the net.

Here’s a question: are these players ‘holding back’ to retain their jobs in the Championship?  If some of them know full well they’ll be jettisoned should we reach the Premiership, maybe they prefer to grasp what little security they can by staying just as they are; existing in their own ‘comfort zone’.  After all, it’s a pretty decent lifestyle as a Championship player isn’t it?  

Even though he has bemoaned the cost, when PL finds the right Premiership standard striker I think we’ll see a quality arrival.

Martin only put in more effort yesterday because he had been dropped against Millwall and had been given yet another wake up call. I would stick with Jackson against Reading as he needs more games to build his confidence and Martin does perform reasonably well as a sub.  

grantroederdisaster wrote the following post

We need a loan striker to come in who can do a proper job straightaway!

So WHO is this mystical loan striker who will inevitably bang in the goals? Name names please.

Our squad is not doing too bad is it? Last time I looked we were comfortably in the playoffs and have been all season.

With regards to Wilbraham people need to realise that he hasn''t been brought in to score a truck load of goals.

He has only scored 10+ goals in 2 seasons of a lengthy career.

He is an emergency back up for Holt and can be brought on for knock downs at the end of tight matches when we are playing more directly ... would we have beaten Millwall last week without him?

People should trust PL''s judgement on this one.

I don''t doubt for a minute that we''ve had a fantasic season and if we finish in the top 6 it will have been a fantastic effort but I''m only stating facts!

- I''ll never over critiscise whats happened so this season like some plebs do but on the other hand I''m not blinkered enough to think everything is spot on with the team cause it isn''t!

Holt is our only striker who has been consistantly good enough this season. Martin, Jackson and Wilbraham are more than handy squad players but aren''t good enough consistantly at this level.

I''ve been to most games this season and all we''re lacking is more quality upfront and we could seriously  be good enough to get promoted and getting to the Premiership is the only way the club wll be able to afford to grow in order to fulfill the huge potential it has!

I''m sure there is a "mystical" loan striker out there and Lambert surely knows that we aren''t good enough up front!

Thats a funny question...

Loan players belong to other clubs and we wouldn''t know if they are available.

Clubs have different reasons for wanting players to go out on loan and many premiership clubs take on some of the costs of the loan themselves depending on the reasons for wanting the player out. So we couldn''t judge affordability either. eg. Bellamy to Cardiff being one of the more extreme examples.

PS ... I don''t intend to sound aggressive!

I just feel that pining for some goal machine whoes wages we can meet and who isn''t needed by their parent club is futile.

[quote user="Downloads"]

Thats a funny question...

Loan players belong to other clubs and we wouldn''t know if they are available.

Clubs have different reasons for wanting players to go out on loan and many premiership clubs take on some of the costs of the loan themselves depending on the reasons for wanting the player out. So we couldn''t judge affordability either. eg. Bellamy to Cardiff being one of the more extreme examples.

[/quote]

By available I mean players who are not currently in other teams'' match squads.

By affordable I mean wages. Parent clubs paying most of the fee is very rare.

I make this point because a lot of people are whistling in the wind. By dreaming of this imaginary messiah we risk forgetting to appreciate and support what we already have.

Chrissy was unlucky today & had it not been for great goal keeping he would have scored. He missed a one on one but then again (conveniently forgotten maybe?) so did Holty.

As for the mythical amazing striker, I cant think of one thats likely to be loaned to us because if they are that good they''d already be playing week in week out.

Hate this board when we lose because it gets totally unreasonable & petty. No doubt if we don''t beat Reading it''ll be Lambert out!

People need to remember that we were unlucky yesterday & could easily have won

I hate it that because people want a loan striker in, other people think that means we hate the club and suddenly we think its all gone wrong.

Read and understand... I don''t see anyone saying because of one defeat we are on the road to ruin. What we are saying is that all things being equal we are likely to finish in 4th ish - Which is a fantastic result.

However - If we could get a decent striker in on loan then potentially we could finish in second and skip the risks of the play-offs. I''m not saying there is definitely one for us out there, but other clubs manage to find players to bring in and I''m pretty certain we will too.

As I understand it McNally said there is money to bring a player in on loan - So why not push the boat out a little and put some offers in for half decent players instead of League One strikers. Obviously, I wouldn''t want to risk the clubs security on paying oceans for someone, but if the cash is there, then lets do it.

I think we need Martin back in the team now he has had a wake-up call. All Simeon does is get into good positions, and when he has the pace to beat the last defender he would much rather fall to the floor in an attempt to win a free kick or penalty, and never gets any of the decisions. Either he truly is unbelievably light weight or he needs to take a few lessons from Captain Holt on how to win them!

[quote user="Downloads"]

I hate it that because people want a loan striker in, other people think that means we hate the club and suddenly we think its all gone wrong.

Read and understand... I don''t see anyone saying because of one defeat we are on the road to ruin. What we are saying is that all things being equal we are likely to finish in 4th ish - Which is a fantastic result.

However - If we could get a decent striker in on loan then potentially we could finish in second and skip the risks of the play-offs. I''m not saying there is definitely one for us out there, but other clubs manage to find players to bring in and I''m pretty certain we will too.

As I understand it McNally said there is money to bring a player in on loan - So why not push the boat out a little and put some offers in for half decent players instead of League One strikers. Obviously, I wouldn''t want to risk the clubs security on paying oceans for someone, but if the cash is there, then lets do it.

[/quote]

completely agree

[quote user="Downloads"]

[/quote]

Errr..... no actually! No one has said the people asking us to sign a player on loan, who will score freely or who don''t rate anyone of our strikers apart from Holt, hate the club. People are just pointing out that I''m sure Lambert would have found one & that we also don''t think our other strikers are that bad.

I''m sure if you know of a player that we can sign that is better than what we''ve got already & that won''t "break the bank" the club would love to here from you.

My opinion is that we should all get behind Chrissy, Jackson & Wilbrahams (people slagging him off & he''s been here 5 mins is laughable) and maybe spend less time slagging them off on message boards. But hey that''s just my opinion & I maybe wrong (as I frequently am :o)