Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

black mark against Lambert today??

we get to 2nd by playing a particular formation an then change it to a back three to ''accomodate'' three senior central defenders,

We were by far the better side in the 2nd half once we abadoned this experiment, but we''ve basically wasted 45 minutes of football today where we might have been the better side all match!?.

I wish we would have trusted our ability and our system and believe that we are a better team than Burnley instead of trying to outsmart ourselves

Lambert likes us to not be too predictable. I don''t think we can blame him too much for his way of thinking, but I think that if it works, why change it.

We shouldn''t have started in the formation we did, I was surprised, but the big bonus with PL is that he''s not afraid to admit when he''s made a mistake and changes things.

We will finish top 6. No problem.

he does make the occasional strange substitution or decision regards team selection, but we have to remember just what he has done for this club, and more importantly that he has never managed at this level before!!!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

we get to 2nd by playing a particular formation an then change it to a back three to ''accomodate'' three senior central defenders,

We were by far the better side in the 2nd half once we abadoned this experiment, but we''ve basically wasted 45 minutes of football today where we might have been the better side all match!?.

I wish we would have trusted our ability and our system and believe that we are a better team than Burnley instead of trying to outsmart ourselves

[/quote]

You need to be adaptable so he has tried something different to see if it will work and it hasn''t. But he changed it and we''ve seen what it can do!

I have no problem with him trying something new as SHOULD we go up then we may need to change things against the likes of Utd, Arsenal etc...

Adaptability is a sign of a great team.. and the more formations we can play comfortably the better but to do that you need to try in matches.

[quote user="shiplee15"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote] You need to be adaptable so he has tried something different to see if it will work and it hasn''t. But he changed it and we''ve seen what it can do! I have no problem with him trying something new as SHOULD we go up then we may need to change things against the likes of Utd, Arsenal etc... Adaptability is a sign of a great team.. and the more formations we can play comfortably the better but to do that you need to try in matches.[/quote]

Yeah but the point is we didn''t adapt well.

I think ''black mark'' is more than a little strong.  We have shown we''re quite flexible when it comes to formations - we''ve won playing the diamond, 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 but that today sounded a little ambitious and didn''t work so yes, he got it wrong which is frustrating but I''m sure he realises it and will learn from it.

The thing is Lambert should know that the players we have do not fit this system. We will bounce back but I think having two or three formations we are ok with is enough, we dont need to keep trying to find out more.

Maybe Lambert is trying to avoid the opposition manager second guessing our formation and what tactics they will employ to win. Changing our tactics to something completely different will stump them initially. Unfortunately it sometimes stumps us as well.

First of all it has been a good run, we have got up to second from really not playing good football following the Sheffield United (home) and QPR game.

The Middlesborough game we made dramatic changes to a team that, at that stage, looked unstoppable. Against Cardiff again we played very well.

Since then it has been patchy and the last three games the first halves have been no shows and subsequently changes to formations, substitutions etc have come on.

I am glad we have lost, as I always believe when you are on a good run, you pick up points and wins when you are not playing well or probably don''t deserve them. To me the last four games we have not warranted the points from great performances.

Sheff utd, we just sneaked home, palace we had a chance to get a win and have some daylight to third and we got a draw and a chance was wasted. Millwall we pinched a win and today finally we get a loss. Any one of the other three could have been a lost from looking at the performance. but by playing a full 90 minutes we have got points and deservedly been in the automatic places.

We have however been shifting players and formations too much. Ward in for Whitbread was a shock against millwall, today three centre backs... as mentioned settled team is needed.

I understand we have had had to rest players and we have had a few forwards out of form so a re-jiggle but we cannot afford to be looking for a best 11 for too long.

The Reading game is now bug because if we lose that and results go against us we could be out of the play off places and others will see there chance to get daylight.

But all in all, did I think I would be discussing this with us in 2nd or 3rd at the start of season in Feb - no. So it is a case that we need to begin performing, this is a blip, in result terms that we needed. But performance and best first 11 need to be established, cause the playoffs are very realistic.

I have to say Lambert is really getting me worried and I think a play off place is now an outside bet.I would live to see Alan Hansen et al comment on our defence the one thing you are told time after timeis get a settled back four and change as little as possible. So what does Lambert do put five in the back and surrender the midfield, and surprise surprise we play terribleand go one down ( again)As for keep playing Jackson sorry what does he do apart from get offside, surely its time to loan him or put him on the bench. I do not see him scoring this season or even next at least Wilbrahaum has a bit of go about him and gets stuck in and provides assists.We need a settled back four with no changes unless injuries and we need someone alongside Holt who has the confidence to hold the ball in the box and create pressure I suspect we have now lost impetus an the Teams who have invested QPR, Forest , Leicester, Burnley etc will soon be ahead of us.And yes another moan if he really wants to rotate why not bring Korey Smith on as anyone will tell you midfielders have the hardest job to do fitness wiseNo doubt the in Lambert we trust brigade will roll out but he really messed up today and lost us three points

when youre 2nd in the league with only 16 matches left, I would have thought that the time for experimentation has gone?..  W''ere up there for a reason , we should be trusting the personnel and the system that have got us there!

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Ever heard of a sense of perspective CJ?Rearrange the following words to make a well-known phrase or saying:  Grip, get, a.[/quote]Why is this the response to any legitimate criticism? Today was a bad day for Lambert- he got out of jail when we played this formation against Shef U, today we didnt.

I commented on PL''s body language in the Millwall game. I speculated there was a hang-over from the transfer window final day and wondered if he was simply exhausted. Today, PL didn''t sound his usual forceful self with the twist of humour. Perhaps he is unwell, perhaps he needs support and something to lift him.

Yes KC and I already said he got it wrong today, cheers.Please tell me how you qualify comments like "Lambert is really getting me worried and I think a play off place is now an outside bet" when we''re third in the table having gone eight games unbeaten is a "legitimate criticism"?

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Yes KC and I already said he got it wrong today, cheers.

Please tell me how you qualify comments like "Lambert is really getting me worried and I think a play off place is now an outside bet" when we''re third in the table having gone eight games unbeaten is a "legitimate criticism"?
[/quote]

Crofts

Lansbury   Surman

Hoolahan

I hope we''re not too far off seeing this as our midfield.....and once we do, hopefully we will stick with it for the remainder of the season

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Ever heard of a sense of perspective CJ?Rearrange the following words to make a well-known phrase or saying:  Grip, get, a.[/quote]Why is this the response to any legitimate criticism? Today was a bad day for Lambert- he got out of jail when we played this formation against Shef U, today we didnt. [/quote]I think in a way Lambert has been tripped up by his own self belief that he can play any formation and still play his get out of jail card in the last ten minutes. A team in the top two and with one of the best away stats should not be playing five across the back it just tells the opposition were scared to say nothing of trying to play offside etc.And as for a sense of perspective look at Derby and Coventry, before we played them away they were near top six now look at them. This League is very tight and self belief can be very fragile

I agree and it is a tight league - by the same token though we''ve always bounced back when we''ve been beaten (whether we''ve lost games we''ve largely dominated (Hull and Portsmouth) or just been really bad (Crystal Palace at home))... we did last season too.  I know that doesn''t guarantee it will happen again but really we''ve lost a league game for the first time in quite a while; we all accept that the manager got things wrong today and that''s played a big part in the final result.  But we''re two thirds through the season and that''s only our seventh defeat and we''re still third.  So no need to press the panic button, just to learn from today and hopefully that will show next week.

I think Lambo was trying to give us some width, something we don''t have due to no reliable wingers. The three at the back allows the full backs to push up and hopefully stretch the game. It didn''t work today but fair play to Lambo for trying it, people have been on here moaning about how predictable we are and how we don''t play wide and when Lambo tries to fix that with the assets he has available he gets a ''black mark'' against his name.Lambo has done a fantastic job, he has done it with little money, he will continue to do it and all we can do is moan....I wouldn''t blame him he fucked off to somewhere he might be appreciated.

[quote user="Kent Canary"]Lambo has done a fantastic job, he has done it with little money, he will continue to do it and all we can do is moan....I wouldn''t blame him he fucked off to somewhere he might be appreciated.[/quote]So we are not allowed to mention that it was a bad decision? Yes he has done extremly well but that doesnt mean he is above some reasonable criticism.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Kent Canary"]Lambo has done a fantastic job, he has done it with little money, he will continue to do it and all we can do is moan....I wouldn''t blame him he fucked off to somewhere he might be appreciated.[/quote]So we are not allowed to mention that it was a bad decision? Yes he has done extremly well but that doesnt mean he is above some reasonable criticism.[/quote]Is is reasonable though? He set out to address a problem most people think we have, a lack of width, it didn''t work but is addressing a weakness a black mark? If he stayed with the same system all of the time would you be happy or when people figure out how we play would you like him to try things? Do you accept that when trying something new it will not always work, that isn''t a black mark it demonstrates that he has recognised a weakness and is trying to address that, I think it shows he is brave enough to try something new,  but hey if the glass is half full then so be it.

[quote user="Kent Canary"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="Kent Canary"]
Lambo has done a fantastic job, he has done it with little money, he will continue to do it and all we can do is moan....I wouldn''t blame him he fucked off to somewhere he might be appreciated.
[/quote]
So we are not allowed to mention that it was a bad decision? Yes he has done extremly well but that doesnt mean he is above some reasonable criticism.
[/quote]

Is is reasonable though? He set out to address a problem most people think we have, a lack of width, it didn''t work but is addressing a weakness a black mark? If he stayed with the same system all of the time would you be happy or when people figure out how we play would you like him to try things?

Do you accept that when trying something new it will not always work, that isn''t a black mark it demonstrates that he has recognised a weakness and is trying to address that, I think it shows he is brave enough to try something new,  but hey if the glass is half full then so be it.
[/quote]

it is when it costs us points. We were second that would suggest that we dont have too many weaknesses. If lack of width was a real concern, it would seem odd that he would leave McNamee off the bench and include three central midfielders??

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Kent Canary"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="Kent Canary"]Lambo has done a fantastic job, he has done it with little money, he will continue to do it and all we can do is moan....I wouldn''t blame him he fucked off to somewhere he might be appreciated.[/quote]So we are not allowed to mention that it was a bad decision? Yes he has done extremly well but that doesnt mean he is above some reasonable criticism.[/quote]Is is reasonable though? He set out to address a problem most people think we have, a lack of width, it didn''t work but is addressing a weakness a black mark? If he stayed with the same system all of the time would you be happy or when people figure out how we play would you like him to try things? Do you accept that when trying something new it will not always work, that isn''t a black mark it demonstrates that he has recognised a weakness and is trying to address that, I think it shows he is brave enough to try something new,  but hey if the glass is half full then so be it.[/quote]

it is when it costs us points. We were second that would suggest that we dont have too many weaknesses. If lack of width was a real concern, it would seem odd that he would leave McNamee off the bench and include three central midfielders??

[/quote]Is it strange? Mcnamee hasn''t played well this year if he had he would have probably been on the pitch, the formation used suggests that Lambert doesn''t like the options he has out wide but he wants to stretch teams more.With regard to us being second...I agree, he has done a fantastic job so maybe we could trust him rather than putting black marks against his name.

He''s not the messiah, he''s a very naughty boy....Lambert has admitted he made a mistake and thats ok. Remember its his style being bold which has won us morepoints than its lost us!!

Can you imagine if that was Roeder being interviewed by Goreham...he wouldn''t even dare be allowed to ask Roeder to ask if he had made a mistake!!

Have to say we missed a chance today as second half Ruddy has not done much whereas their keeper has made a few saves. I think once we took Lansbury off, it allowed their midfield to push forward alot easier.

If we were more clinical we would have sown that game up second half. I am as disappointed as anyone but we just brush ourselves down and get on with a new run.

I hope when the loan window opens we just freshens things up a little.

[quote user="CJ"]I have to say Lambert is really getting me worried and I think a play off place is now an outside bet.
I would live to see Alan Hansen et al comment on our defence the one thing you are told time after time
is get a settled back four and change as little as possible.
So what does Lambert do put five in the back and surrender the midfield, and surprise surprise we play terrible
and go one down ( again)
As for keep playing Jackson sorry what does he do apart from get offside, surely its time to loan him or put him on the bench. I do not see him scoring this season or even next at least Wilbrahaum has a bit of go about him and gets stuck in and provides assists.
We need a settled back four with no changes unless injuries and we need someone alongside Holt who has the confidence to hold the ball in the box and create pressure I suspect we have now lost impetus an the Teams who have invested QPR, Forest , Leicester, Burnley etc will soon be ahead of us.
And yes another moan if he really wants to rotate why not bring Korey Smith on as anyone will tell you midfielders have the hardest job to do fitness wise
No doubt the in Lambert we trust brigade will roll out but he really messed up today and lost us three points
[/quote]

Oh dear. [:(]

Lambert admitted as much when interviewed on Radio Norfolk!

But hey lets put things into perspective, hes only human, all humans make mistakes, we''ve done really well this season so far, we rarely do anything at Burnley and the unbeaten run wasn''t going to go on for ever! 

The other thing no one has mentioned on here which to me was a tactical error was taking off Lansbury and bringing on Wilbrahim. Unless Lansbury was injured I really couldn''t understand it at all - it meant Holt effectively had to play left midfield, and it was from here that he gave away the free kick which led to Burnley''s winner. I know he does do a lot of work inside his won half, but was there really any need to put him in a position where the full back could run at him? I can understand that Lambert wanted to go for the three points, but we were well on top, Martin and Holt were causing all sorts of problems, Lappin looked good on the left (the change meant he had to go and play CM), why????? Of course it may be as I say that he had no choice if Lansbury was injured, but if not it seemed like a very poor tactical decision at the time, and it still does now!