Sign in to follow this  
MPR

So, back to that Huckerby question.......

There are some (including those who I share the driving with I think) who maintain that Hucks'' best position is upfront. Looking at Saturday''s evidence he got one assist for Damo''s goal but then has the assist for every other goal (oh how my FFL team could have done with that!).

I would suggest that in order to make the biggest contribution he has to play off the front 2 but that leaves us exposed at the back at times. He also, as my lift points out, often doesn''t quite link up with Drury well when playing midfield as there is only 10 yards between them at times and he''s picking the ball up very early and having to go round more players before being able to make a real contribution by way of putting the ball in the danger area.

While I''ve got you, great to see Ashton look like he''s not phased (on the surface) by the pressure. Having the balls to take the free kick and also that run from mid-way in our half was a welcome sight. 

Agree that Ashton is looking good, he had a great game and was creating chances from nothing which is what we were lacking, that volley in the first half in front of the barclay end was a good example. And as for his goal, he made it look so easy yet he took it so well and showed what great ball control he has to snatch it from Schwarze and then flick it back in. When he took the free-kick it would have been the perfect way to seal the come back. i''m convinced that it would have gone in had it not have been for the deflection, Schwarzer wouldn''t have been able to move fast enough to make the save.

Anyway, going back to your original point, i believe that Hucks is best playing off the two strikers because he is so dangerous and creates chances for them. I know a lot of you will disagree with me but i personally believe that our best formation would be a diamond midfield with hucks being given a free role, but thats just my opinion. My team would be something like this:

GREEN

HELVEG(when fit)   DOHERTY     SHACKELL      CHARLTON

HOLT/SAFRI

JONSON/McVEIGH                     FRANCIS

HUCKS

McKENZIE        ASHTON

Agree about Ashton - he looks a class act.

To me Hux had his best 45 mins in ages in the first half and caused Boro all sorts of problems on the left and right - he shot from the right for Francis'' goal - and we created more chances and looked more threatening that we had in games.

He has to be up front for me.

OTBC

Well said Zipper. I''ve been banging on about this all season, as MPR well knows.

Hucks, for all his wonderful attributes, just doesn''t do defending, which always leaves the left back exposed.

I also think that the diamond only works well against weaker teams, unless you have at least two quality midfielders. We have just one, Francis, which leaves us exposed when under pressure.

Stick with 4-4-2 with Hucks upfront.

Yup. The only reason Hucks was playing so well was because he was back in his rightful position.

When he moved to the left he was even more devastating, but this was because he hadn''t had the life sucked out of him by standing on the touchline getting tackled by 3 guys all game.

He must start up front (but going where he wants) and if things go wrong, he can always shuffle over to make room for Leon.

If only we had a midfield and a defence eh?!