Sign in to follow this  
25overpar

Loans Or Save It?

So, what are the opinions regarding the way in which the £2m cash injection will be used?  I don''t think PL will have been surprised as I am sure he knew this money was available well before the January window closed and that the club clearly decided it was better not to go public at that time.

But, now that we all know about it, do you think there will be an expensive loan from the Premiership to "give the lads a hand" in the push for a promotion spot or is it best saved for the summer?  

Personally, I''d save it. I think the squad is capable of reaching the play offs and, if momentum remains with us, sneaking into that top two. Lambert should work on getting under performers like Martin and McNamee back to their best rather than just spending for the sake of it.

I think the more pertinent point rather than being "expensive" is "the right man", to be honest.We have all too bitter experience of over the hill journeymen who are here for a last payday! I think we need a goalscorer just to help in that department, which would bring a player in one of three categories (Teams just don''t loan out in form goalscorers!), they are either unproven youth, players coming back from injury, or players that aren''t scoring goals for various reasons.And I have absolutely no one in mind either that fits the bill, ideally if we bring someone in they would have to have genuine interest in earning a contract here, as opposed to just waving buh-bye at the end of the season.In answer to the question, I think the money is best spent now, I just have no idea who on!

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Personally, I''d save it. I think the squad is capable of reaching the play offs and, if momentum remains with us, sneaking into that top two. Lambert should work on getting under performers like Martin and McNamee back to their best rather than just spending for the sake of it.[/quote]But just imagine a "Huckerbyesque" type loan that helps us avoid the play offs!I don''t think Lambert will spend it just for the sake of it though.

I agree with Morty, I think it''s best spent now but I wouldn''t be too desperate to spend it. No harm in trying to find the right man for the final push, it could well be the difference between Prem and Championship

As few loans as possible would be to my liking and I would certainly not want this money wasted on an expensive loanee if we were to end up in this division next season. Unfortunately, I think this likely especially as the automatic places seem to be drifting away and the play-offs are a lottery.

I would have risked a bit on a Jimmy Bullard and still am bemused as to how Ips. pulled that one off.  There are not many like that available.

I am keen to be more positive about things, but there is a bunch of strong sides at the top end of our league now. 

Somebody dampen my negativity please!

In reality we only really need one decent loan signing so I would spend some of it on that and save the rest for the summer. There are only 3 months of the season left so any such loan signing would be likely to cost £500K tops and may be the difference between us being in the mix at the end of this season or not.

[quote]I would have risked a bit on a Jimmy Bullard and still am bemused as to

how Ips. pulled that one off.  There are not many like that available.[/quote]Ipswich got him because he has only played about 10 games per season over the last 5 season or something.  That''s a bit of a risk in my opinion.  The money isn''t a problem for them, Uncle Marcus will just add it to the debt owed to the ME Group.As for the money, I''m surprised it was announced before we had spent it.  There''s talk of flexibility, but surely announcing the money will reduce the flexibility when negotiating fees, and mean that we end up paying over the top ?

I think PL will bank it till the summer, in the form of a loan now buy later player, but I think it will have to be an out of favour player from the lower prem, and as Morty said One that wants a contract with the club, I think I will leave that job to PL   

I agree with the points relating to quality, obviously we would not want to waste the money on a journeyman, I do think however that what happens with this money may give us a small insight into Lambert`s plans for his own future, I very much doubt he would save the money for the summer window if he had thoughts of moving on.

" I very much doubt he would save the money for the summer window if he had thoughts of moving on."I think he will bring players in before the summer, but not because he''s thinking of moving on.  He''ll do it because it''s the way he approaches games, his team plays to the final whistle, and he always makes attacking subsitutions.  I''m not sure that "consolidation" is in his vocabulary.  And quite rightly so in the business he''s in.

I agree,I am sure with his attitude he will use all the possible resources available to him to secure promotion this year. I dont see him putting any away for the summer.

Tricky one isn''t it. I''ll be very interested to see if PL sticks with his principles or whether he is tempted to splash the cash on someone like Cameron Jerome (although i don''t reckon we''d get him).

We are in a great position at the moment and while top spot may be tough now, second is still achievable even though Forest are on a great run. Next season we may not have the same chance. So my vote would be to get in a loan  now, but not speand all the money. I think one top quality loan player, either up front to help out Holt or a combative central midfielder, could make the difference. We might not be as close as this for a while if we don''t take this chance.

Does anyone else out there think that Lambert is also the type of manager that could easily get the best out of a "troubled" player that needs to get his life back on track? Not saying that there are any out there available but they could also be the kind of players that Lambert would look to utilise. If he can see their heart is in the right place perhaps this is another avenue he would explore.

I don''t think PL will just spend it, he''ll keep lookin'' out for players but I don''t think he''ll be investing it just yet. We''ve had a few set-backs of late, but we''re still doing well. I have confidence in PL''s judgement and he''s good at getting the best out of players. I don''t really like getting loans in just for the sake of having some sort of back-up. I know Holty''s not banging ''em in at the moment, but he''ll come good I''m sure!

I reckon he''ll wait and see just another few games...

I trust our manager''s judgement, he''s the best one we''ve had in a long time...as you will no doubt agree!

How about Ched Evans on loan with a view to permanent if we win promotion. He''s just the man we need IMO.

As a previous poster has said it maybe bring a loan player in that should cost us no more than 500k and save the rest for the summer by which time we should have some more money that will have been budgeted for in the summer which means we could have 3 or 4 million quid to spend in close season. If we can keep our squad together I think three or four quality signings in the summer could make the difference.

[quote user="paul moy"]How about Ched Evans on loan with a view to permanent if we win promotion. He''s just the man we need IMO.[/quote]Ched Evans is their best chance of beating the drop so i cannot see them loaning him out , but if they were to go down he will almost certainly become available.