Sign in to follow this  
pete

Fuller for Cody?

According to some Gills fans PL will swap Cody M for Gills Right Back Barry Fuller.  Please don''t Paul Fuller looked limited for Stev Boro 2 seasons ago and I understand has not progressed.  I am sure you can find better cover for R Martin.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]why would we swap him his market value is going to be high atm. got £300,000 for him maybe £500,000?[/quote]

Could even be a bit more than that come the summer he''s got 17 goals so far, and was out for the first few weeks, but this is a silly Gills Rumour no panic yet.  

Probably going to get butchered as this has been done to death by everyone but here it goes. Lets see what Adam Le Fondre goes for in the summer. Cody has 1 less goal than him this season from signficantly less games. Plus Rotherham are performing better than Gillingham in the league which makes Cody''s achievement even better. If we sell him we should be demanding something within that ballpark (which is rumoured to be about £500k) even if he only has 1 year left on his deal.

What is the point in actually selling him for less? You wont get a replacement who is proven even at lower league level for that kind of money and you would essentially have the same problem about whether they can step up (exhibit A Jackson). So I would like to see him given at least a chance of starting some games rather than sell him for peanuts. Regardless of what league it is, he is finding the net with remarkable regularity and at a much better rate than any of Jackson, Holt or Martin when they were at that league 2 level. I am not automatically assuming he is a better player, I am just illustrating the point that it would foolhardy to discard him due to lack of championship experience when all of our current striking options have dropped down to league 2 very recently.

Of course there is no guarantee he will continue to score freely in the Championship but how does anyone know? The likes of Dean Ashton , Rob Hulse and Rob Earnshaw had to play lower tier football for Crewe and Cardiff before going onto to play Premier League and International football. Indeed Ashton''s haul of 9 leagues goals in 38 games in the second division in 2002/3 didnt exactly set the world alight. Obviously it can go the other way where we have seen the likes of Billy Paytner who have been unable to replicate their league 1 form in the championship.

I would like to know for certain either way though. As it would be very galling if the answer to our striking problems had been sitting under our noses all the time and had been simply allowed to walk away for next to nothing in footballing terms. Surely Lambert is too shrewd and too good a manager to let that happen.

When I think of Cody right now, I think back to Jermaine Beckford''s early days at Leeds...

They signed him as a prolific scorer of goals at non-league level (Wealdstone)-at the time he joined them, they were in the Championship, he struggled and they loaned him out to Scunthorpe, then in League 1 for a season.

He found his scoring touch again and was successful, helping them to promotion-whilst Leeds were relegated! He came back to them the next season and kept on scoring, albeit in League 1, and maintained that, eventually getting a move to the Prem, where he hasn''t exactly set the world on fire, *yet* he has not disgraced himself, and, indeed, scored at the weekend.

Cody''s loan move might do for him and us what his did for Leeds. Here''s hoping-I certainly hope he can come back in the Summer and get a chance here again, regardless of the level we are at.

Cody looks a natural finisher City have not had an Owen, Fowler type striker since I can remember would like to see CM given a chance even if it is Prem.  Prem fingers crossed.

The Gillingham manager is desperate to keep Cody, which is not surprising - he has scored twice as many as the next highest scorer!

Cody has one advantage over all our present strikers except possibly Jackson - he is quick. I think that he is better than Jackson in that he is a more complete striker. In his recent hat trick, two of his goals were well headed from crosses.

I think that to get rid of Cody before we know his potential in the Championship and in a good side would be crass. The only reason I can think of would be if Fuller was potentially a very good player and it would be a good investment.

But would we want a potentially very good player to sit on the bench while Martin continues to play well?