Sign in to follow this  
marknursey

Globalised football??

I am in the middle of a study for my degree on the ''globalisation of football''. Your answers may be used in the study, but all names will remain confidential.

To what extent is football now globalised? Can you pin point what event turned English football ''global'' if you believe it is.

Thnaks for your thoughts.

Sky tv turned it global. Only the ''cricket fans'' to be pc about it arent fully into it. Maybe to watch and invest, but yet to see any decent players fully from that part of the world.

It''s not a football only trend. NBA play pre-season friendlies across Europe. NFL play a season game at wembley. Most European teams target foreign markets by either player signings and/or friendlies.

However, you question is a little more direction, is it the participation or just the economic globalisation. (The majority of world has played football before the first world cup 1930). The game would have been taken to South America by Spain/Portugal/Italy. The recent globalisation economic, would be directly impacted by the improvements in "civilisation"... Satellite TV (resulting in easy world wide coverage). The improvements in the internet, meaning information, reports etc are just as easy whether you live in Japan or Norwich. Ultimately, the improvements in air flight and travelling meaning technically, you could have a season ticket for a top european team and live in London and go to every game and be back for work Monday.

[quote user="Baracouda"]It''s not a football only trend.

NBA play pre-season friendlies across Europe.
NFL play a season game at wembley.
Most European teams target foreign markets by either player signings and/or friendlies.

However, you question is a little more direction, is it the participation or just the economic globalisation.
(The majority of world has played football before the first world cup 1930). The game would have been taken to South America by Spain/Portugal/Italy.

The recent globalisation economic, would be directly impacted by the improvements in "civilisation"... Satellite TV (resulting in easy world wide coverage). The improvements in the internet, meaning information, reports etc are just as easy whether you live in Japan or Norwich. Ultimately, the improvements in air flight and travelling meaning technically, you could have a season ticket for a top european team and live in London and go to every game and be back for work Monday.

[/quote]

--

You would expect so, but as with pretty much the whole world it was the English and the Scots. Sailors, merchants, teachers, railway engineers, consular officials etc. And several  English teams (Southampton, Spurs, Forest) toured South America before world war one. The British influence is why some South American teams still have Anglicised names (River Plate, The Strongest) rather than Spanish or Portuguese ones. 

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Baracouda"]It''s not a football only trend.

NBA play pre-season friendlies across Europe.
NFL play a season game at wembley.
Most European teams target foreign markets by either player signings and/or friendlies.

However, you question is a little more direction, is it the participation or just the economic globalisation.
(The majority of world has played football before the first world cup 1930). The game would have been taken to South America by Spain/Portugal/Italy.

The recent globalisation economic, would be directly impacted by the improvements in "civilisation"... Satellite TV (resulting in easy world wide coverage). The improvements in the internet, meaning information, reports etc are just as easy whether you live in Japan or Norwich. Ultimately, the improvements in air flight and travelling meaning technically, you could have a season ticket for a top european team and live in London and go to every game and be back for work Monday.

[/quote]

--

You would expect so, but as with pretty much the whole world it was the English and the Scots. Sailors, merchants, teachers, railway engineers, consular officials etc. And several  English teams (Southampton, Spurs, Forest) toured South America before world war one. The British influence is why some South American teams still have Anglicised names (River Plate, The Strongest) rather than Spanish or Portuguese ones. 

[/quote]

I had forgotten the impact of British influence at this time, and her dominance. That been said only a few places in the world took off with cricket and rugby. (Interestingly, many of which didn''t play football seriously could include scotland (hehe) in that).

Spot on in my opinion - Sky made the game global.  So if you are looking for a time then try 1992, though it probably happened over a 5 year period, Euro 96 also adding to the football boom in the country.

Sky transmitted the premiership to the world, and the money they paid to transmit was invested in foreign players, fuelling the market for the product overseas even more, i.e Park Ji Sung (truly a club thinking globally), though I tend to think of Gullit & Vialli as the first of the wave of the Global Generation if you like.  That''s just of the top of my head, I am sure there are some more pertinent names.

I grew up in Japan in the late 80s early 90s and we could watch English football on TV, well before Sky had bought the rights to the Premier League. I would say Sky''s investment more a reaction to English football already becoming global, rather than the catalyst. Football has been one of the most played sports in the world for over 50 years, and as people have mentioned this was down to British ex-pats travelling all over the world and spreading the joy so to speak - Juventus in Italy play in black and white stripes because of Notts County.

New technologies - such as satelliete TVs and the internet have enabled more people to watch the game, but the passion for the games pre-dates this.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I grew up in Japan in the late 80s early 90s and we could watch English football on TV, well before Sky had bought the rights to the Premier League. I would say Sky''s investment more a reaction to English football already becoming global, rather than the catalyst. Football has been one of the most played sports in the world for over 50 years, and as people have mentioned this was down to British ex-pats travelling all over the world and spreading the joy so to speak - Juventus in Italy play in black and white stripes because of Notts County.

New technologies - such as satelliete TVs and the internet have enabled more people to watch the game, but the passion for the games pre-dates this.

[/quote]

And why Milan (originally a cricket club) are called Milan rather than Milano. As to TV its influence on the spread of the game beyond the established areas (Europe and Latin America) to the footballing "third world" certainly predates Sky by a long way. It was the increasingly comprehensive coverage of the World Cup tournaments from 1954 onwards that did that.

For anyone interested in the history of the game worldwide THE book is David Goldblatt''s The Ball Is Round. But be warned - it weighs in at more than 900 pages...

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]I think this is a world wide problem.

[/quote]

What on earth are you talking about now?

[/quote]

I''m just trying to improve the atmosphere .... unlike you talking out of Uranus as ever.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m just trying to improve the atmosphere .... unlike you talking out of Uranus as ever.

[/quote]

I''m gonna land one on you!

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just realised you''ve got your head in the clouds again........for heavens sake!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just realised you''ve got your head in the clouds again........for heavens sake!

[/quote]Moon all you like... the PURISTS are back.Watch this space.