Sign in to follow this  
festagingermon

Andrew Surman

Now that Andrew Surman is coming back to fitness again, it begs the question, will he be beack in the starting 11. There is no doubting he is a quality player, but who would you drop, crofts has been outstanding all season, as has fox since he has had a settled run in the side, lansbury has that added quality that can make the difference in very tight games and then hoolahan/lappin, i personally feel wes should start wich would give a midfield of Crofts, Fox, Lansbury and Hoolahan. Having said that, lets not forget Korey Smith, who never lets the side down, i suppose this is what lambert wants, a selection headache, i just do not know who are the right choices, i suppose it has got us this far, so if it aint broke dont fix it, what are everyones thoughts?

Whenever I have watched him it has been clear that he is a very classy player, great eye for a pass, cracking dead ball delivery, and gives us some genuine width on the left.Yeah, we have options, but I would like to see him back in the team as soon as possible!

I agree with you Drury''s knee, that diamond would provide the ammunition for the front men to start banging in goals, also i think we would see the full backs overlapping more.

He is surely our best player, at least in creating chances, and far better in dead ball situtations than anyone else, Lappin included. We would have to have a good reason to omit him.

He seems happy to play wide on the left, and I think a combination of Surman and Hooly could cut teams open.

The only question for me is whether his inclusion would make the midfield less effective from a defensive point of view. Recently Hooly has improved that part of his game, and perhaps Surman could as well.

[quote user="drurys dodgy knee"]I think everyone wants to see a diamond with crofts at the base, hoolahan at the tip, surman left and lansbury right. I think that would be our strongest midfield setup[/quote]That''s ludacris, that''s abit TOO attacking to start a game with. Le Tis spoke the other day that Surman lacks "that half yard" to really make it as an outstanding player. Haven''t seen too much of him to cast a proper opinion... tidy on the ball, a little lightweight though?We''ll see.

Surman has an eye for a reverse pass which would make many more opportunities for Jackson, Hoolahan, C Martin & Holt to score (a recent deficiency without doubt!).  However Surman doesn''t track back particularly well and leaves the left back with much more work to do; typically single-handedly trying to defend a triangle of opposition players. I dare say Adam Drury feels a lot safer with Lappin ahead of him!

Mind you, Surman is lovely to watch and I really look forward to seeing him play again.

[quote user="Carra Rud"][quote user="drurys dodgy knee"]I think everyone wants to see a diamond with crofts at the base, hoolahan at the tip, surman left and lansbury right. I think that would be our strongest midfield setup[/quote]That''s ludacris, that''s abit TOO attacking to start a game with. Le Tis spoke the other day that Surman lacks "that half yard" to really make it as an outstanding player. Haven''t seen too much of him to cast a proper opinion... tidy on the ball, a little lightweight though?We''ll see.[/quote]Aren''t we supposed to be going for it?!

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="Carra Rud"][quote user="drurys dodgy knee"]I think everyone wants to see a diamond with crofts at the base, hoolahan at the tip, surman left and lansbury right. I think that would be our strongest midfield setup[/quote]That''s ludacris, that''s abit TOO attacking to start a game with. Le Tis spoke the other day that Surman lacks "that half yard" to really make it as an outstanding player. Haven''t seen too much of him to cast a proper opinion... tidy on the ball, a little lightweight though?We''ll see.[/quote]Aren''t we supposed to be going for it?! [/quote]At this stage of the season Norwich need to win games not draw or lose and attack is the best form of defense,we also seem to go for it when we are one down well lets start with our best players go for the diamond and score one or two first and then sit back rather than us chase the game, I would rather us miss out by going for it.I love the line up

If you''re going to be playing Surman, Lansbury, and Hoolahan then the person at the base needs to be disciplined and able to dictate the pace of our attacks with his passing and vision. That''s Fox, not Crofts.

I''d expect him to play at least 45min on saturday. hopefully with a goal or assist. he is a great play maker

"If you''re going to be playing Surman, Lansbury, and Hoolahan then the person at the base needs to be disciplined and able to dictate the pace of our attacks with his passing and vision. That''s Fox, not Crofts"

Wrong. The attacking players should dictate the pace of our attacks, and Wes, Henri and Surman are three of our best passers and clearly all have great vision. if those three are all in midfield, we would need a terrier of a defensive midfielder. That''s Crofts not Fox.

Nothing against Fox, but Drury''s dodgy knee is spot on in saying that it has to be Crofts at the base of the diamond if the other three are Wes, Surman and Lansbury. You need at least one mongrel, otherwise you get overrun in the Championship.

Just a thought but how about dropping the second striker and having Wes, Lansbury and Surman playing just behind/off Holt with Fox/Smith and Crofts protecting behind? would still allow the full backs to push forward as well

I think it will depend on the opposition, as stated below in - needing one mongrel.

Whichever way Lambert chooses I think most of the midfield will be needed. There''ll be few games when we will be able to pick the line up desired. Short tem injuries and suspensions will ensure that.

The latter could also be the reason why there has been no further movement inwards. Wait to see who may be out long term and where cover will be needed rather than bringing in players now only to find that cover is required elsewhere is probably the strategy.

That is also the reason why so many players are out on loan. Get them up to speed to be ready for the last six weeks or so. Whether any of those out on loan will be/ are up to the job is debatable.

[quote user="drurys dodgy knee"]"If you''re going to be playing Surman, Lansbury, and Hoolahan then the person at the base needs to be disciplined and able to dictate the pace of our attacks with his passing and vision. That''s Fox, not Crofts"

Wrong. The attacking players should dictate the pace of our attacks, and Wes, Henri and Surman are three of our best passers and clearly all have great vision. if those three are all in midfield, we would need a terrier of a defensive midfielder. That''s Crofts not Fox.[/quote]It''s not "wrong" Drury''s Dodgy Knee, it''s called an opinion. I happen to believe that Crofts is wasted in the "holding" midfield role as he is more of a box to box midfielder. Had Lansbury not been kept on for the rest of the season then we could have had Fox holding, Surman, Hoolahan, and then Crofts on the right so that he could come inside and maraud around the midfield tearing up anyone who comes near him with the ball.As it stands (ignore my man crush for David Fox) I believe that Fox would bring more balance to that midfield than Crofts would. It''s all very well having a terrier of a defensive midfielder but I just don''t see Crofts as defensive. I want Crofts in the team as I think he''s an amazing player, I just don''t think he should be in at the base of the diamond. As many have mentioned, a good problem for Lambert to have.

Crofts

Lansbury        Surman

Hoolahan

Is there a better midfield in the Championship?  I don''t think so.

I don''t think this is too attacking at all.  Hoolahan despite being the most advanced midfielder will track back and Lansbury isn''t exactly lazy either, Surman is questionable but you don''t need every midfielder to be box to box.

And as for the Crofts/Fox debate I would pick Crofts every time.  With Fox there we would be far too lightweight.  Fox may be able to play the odd 40 yard pass but Crofts is just as good as starting attacks without doing that and Crofts will break up the opposition play far better.

Can I just correct a few things on this thread.

Surman tracks back more than MacNamee and Lansbury.

In terms of set pieces if it is an effort on goal and Martin is in the side I think I would still prefer him. If it is a set piece in terms of a corner or playing the ball into the box for someone to finish then yes, Surman is your man.

The consistancy and quality of his crossing has been fantastic, and he also had a turn of pace. I hope that the injuries have not effected his pace and I would love to seem involved in some way come the weekend, either from the bench or starting if fit enough.

Personaly I would love to see a 4-4-2.

Holt and Hoolahan up front.

Surman, Crofts, Fox, Lansbury

Drury, Ward/Whitbread, Barnett, Martin.

Ruddy

That way we have Hoolahan being able to pull strings all over the place with good attacking runs being made from wide positions with Fox also in there to be able to switch play well.

It would also enable Crofts to push on at times and get into the box late to have a couple of shots.