Sign in to follow this  
Lambert is King

Cody Mc Scores after 5 mins

There is no arguement for me, he wasn''t deemed ready for Championship football by Paul Lambert.

He has been given a chance to prove what he can do in a lower league, hopefully when he returns he will be a better player for it!

But at the current time Simeon Jackson is the better player and he is playing in a higher league, please don''t get confused with the difference between the Championship and League 2

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[quote user="Clint"]Based on some people''s logic..... Matt Gill''s scored 2 in 3 games (or something like that) for Walsall, does that mean he''s a better player than David Fox who has only scored once for us all season?[/quote]

I suppose your logic isnt flawed?. Gill is approaching the later stages of his career, Cody still has potential and is an unknown qauntity and to be fair has played more than 3 games for Gillingham. Also Scoring isnt the be all and end of of a midfielders job so the rate of Gill''s scoring is irrelevant when comparing him to Fox. I''m can understand people having reservations about Cody but at least come up with some sort of decent argument.

[/quote]

He was being sarcastic.

LAMBERT - TERMINATE THE LOAN DEAL AND BRING CODY BACK! STRAIGHT IN THE TEAM FOR SATURDAY! I''D EVEN DROP HOLTY AND PLAY CODY UP FRONT ON HIS OWN! THEN START SURMAN IN MIDFIELD BECAUSE HE IS A CUT ABOVE ANYONE ELSE AT THIS CLUB, EVERYONE KNOWS IT, ALTHOUGH WE''VE ONLY SEEN HIM PLAY 6 GAMES!

[quote user="Largey"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[quote user="Clint"]Based on some people''s logic..... Matt Gill''s scored 2 in 3 games (or something like that) for Walsall, does that mean he''s a better player than David Fox who has only scored once for us all season?[/quote]

I suppose your logic isnt flawed?. Gill is approaching the later stages of his career, Cody still has potential and is an unknown qauntity and to be fair has played more than 3 games for Gillingham. Also Scoring isnt the be all and end of of a midfielders job so the rate of Gill''s scoring is irrelevant when comparing him to Fox. I''m can understand people having reservations about Cody but at least come up with some sort of decent argument.

[/quote] He was being sarcastic. LAMBERT - TERMINATE THE LOAN DEAL AND BRING CODY BACK! STRAIGHT IN THE TEAM FOR SATURDAY! I''D EVEN DROP HOLTY AND PLAY CODY UP FRONT ON HIS OWN! THEN START SURMAN IN MIDFIELD BECAUSE HE IS A CUT ABOVE ANYONE ELSE AT THIS CLUB, EVERYONE KNOWS IT, ALTHOUGH WE''VE ONLY SEEN HIM PLAY 6 GAMES![/quote]

I bet that Lambert is wishing that he could terminate the deal. 

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[/quote]

Ok. Chris Martin scored for fun last season in League 1. Yep, that''s the league above which Cody Mc is playing this season. Chris Martin can''t buy a goal this season in the Championship. Good enough logic?

Incidently, I like Cody but I don''t think he would be any better than our current strikers if he were to play in the Championship right now (in my opinion)

Yellowbeagle, I was merely being flippant.

Where in my post have I made any arguement for or against Cody? I was simply pointing out that keep dragging up stats (as impressive as Cody''s are) isn''t necessarily an argument either.

If you can''t compare Gill and Fox fairly, why is the comparison between Cody and Jacko any different?

BTW, scoring isn''t the be all and end of a forwards job either. Heskey seems to have done ok out of being less than prolific, is Cody better than him as well?

For the record and before you get all excited again, I actually really rate Cody and would gladly have him back. That''s not to say however, that I would have expected him to score any more frequently than Jackson in his first real season at this level though.

I wouldn''t be suprised if Cody stayed at Gillingham beyond this season. He is from that area of the world and I imagine his family are still based there, he is enjoying his football and they could well be playing League One again next year, which would be a great achievement from someone who was playing non-league only a few years ago. If his scoring rate continues, Gillingham will find the money to snap him up, or someone else at a similar level will. I would say Lambert sees more of a Norwich future for Johnson than McDonald, but we will see come the summer.

[quote user="yellow blood"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[/quote]

Ok. Chris Martin scored for fun last season in League 1. Yep, that''s the league above which Cody Mc is playing this season. Chris Martin can''t buy a goal this season in the Championship. Good enough logic?

Incidently, I like Cody but I don''t think he would be any better than our current strikers if he were to play in the Championship right now (in my opinion)

[/quote]

Martin did not ''score for fun'' in league 1.  Four of his goals in 48 appearances were at Paulton in the Cup and the vast majority of the other 19 were before the New Year and prior to him signing a new contract, funnily enough. Cody is on 17 already on 24 appearances so at that rate would hit 34 by the end of the season. That is ''scoring for fun''.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]why though Paul? The purpose of Cody''s loan is being fulfilled why stop it now?[/quote]

... because we are in dire need of extra competition up front to shake things up as well as a goalscorer. Just a few extra goals could be enough to ensure promotion, but we are looking at the moment as if we may well fall short.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Paul Moy your arguements are constantly flawed. Cody is in League 2 not League 1...[/quote]

... and Dean Ashton/Ted MacDougall etc etc were also playing at a lower level, so your logic is therefore also flawed...... LOL 

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="yellow blood"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Martin did not ''score for fun'' in league 1.  Four of his goals in 48 appearances were at Paulton in the Cup and the vast majority of the other 19 were before the New Year and prior to him signing a new contract, funnily enough. Cody is on 17 already on 24 appearances so at that rate would hit 34 by the end of the season. That is ''scoring for fun''.

[/quote]

FFS, perdantic or what? The point is not the phrase "scoring for fun".

Ok Chris Martin scored a number of goals in LEAGUE 1...Cody McDonald is scoring goals in LEAGUE 2. Chris Martin is not scoring goals in the CHAMPIONSHIP. Why would Cody be more likely to score goals in the CHAMPIONSHIP than our current strikeforce?

[quote user="Clint"]Yellowbeagle, I was merely being flippant. Where in my post have I made any arguement for or against Cody? I was simply pointing out that keep dragging up stats (as impressive as Cody''s are) isn''t necessarily an argument either. If you can''t compare Gill and Fox fairly, why is the comparison between Cody and Jacko any different? BTW, scoring isn''t the be all and end of a forwards job either. Heskey seems to have done ok out of being less than prolific, is Cody better than him as well? For the record and before you get all excited again, I actually really rate Cody and would gladly have him back. That''s not to say however, that I would have expected him to score any more frequently than Jackson in his first real season at this level though.[/quote]

Where in my post did i say that Cody is better than  Jackson, let alone Heskey?. I just didnt see how the comparison had any relevance flippant or otherwise. Your right scoring isnt the be and end all of a centre forwards job but as we are seeing with the criticism (unfair imo) of both C.Martin and Jackson it makes a huge difference. I agree Heskey has done a good job for club and country at varrying times, but ultimately he''s seen as a failing centre forward for his country because he hasnt scored many goals (again unfairly imo).

Gill and Fox are midfielders where their games are based almost wholly on different attributes away from goal scoring, so i couldnt see the relevance of bringing that up, however comparing centre forwards goalscoring records when in the same division does have relevance, although doesnt show us how Cody will perform on a week to week basis at championship level, it just shows he has potential.

The difference ladies and gentleman.....is Adebayo Akinfenwa! Sign him up Lambert, sign him up!

[quote user="yellow blood"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="yellow blood"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

FFS, perdantic or what? The point is not the phrase "scoring for fun".

Ok Chris Martin scored a number of goals in LEAGUE 1...Cody McDonald is scoring goals in LEAGUE 2. Chris Martin is not scoring goals in the CHAMPIONSHIP. Why would Cody be more likely to score goals in the CHAMPIONSHIP than our current strikeforce?

[/quote]

I think it''s pretty clear that he would have scored more than both Jackson and Martin given the same number of appearances. Of course we won''t see proof one way or another until next season, so the jury is out. I''m certainly willing to bet that he will score a few more than the 4 in 20-odd appearances that Martin has had.  

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]No Lambert is King you are not listening to me.... My arguement is how can people compare Simeon Jackson to Cody McDonald, it means diddly-squat what Jackson got in terms of goals in any given season, its all about the here and now, the facts are pure and simple. Currently Jackson is a Championship player and McDonald is a League Two player. Just so we''re clear on ''my arguement'' I want Cody to come back a stronger player, the same as when Chris Martin went to Luton. But I''m sorry I have to comment when people are being so stupid about comparing a League 2 and a Championship player.[/quote]

This must be a windup?[:^)]

Do you lot argue about everything? FFS. Lack of sex?Cody McDonald is a player that Lambert likes, he proved that by extending his contract. He is proving that he is too good for League Two and if you are too good for League Two then you are good enough for League One.The next step for Cody is to prove that he is good enough for The Championship, if we get promoted this season then we can loan him out to somebody in this league for him to have a crack at doing so, if we don''t get promoted then he can have a go at proving himself here. Either way, he can continue his development next year. If it is clear that he isn''t good enough for The Championship then we release him at 2012 and he goes and has a happy career in the lower leagues, if he proves that he is good enough then we give him a new deal and we have a £1m-£2m striker on the books (irrespective of whether or not we are in the Premiership).I can assure you that there would be other teams in The Championship willing to take a punt on him if we don''t next season, I would rather we give him a shot here than see him go and score goals for Millwall or even worse Ipswich.The bloke isn''t going to be earning a fortune, we aren''t losing anything by giving him an opportunity and personally I am pleased that we did give him this shot because he seems like a decent bloke.

Ok, I know this is stupid but how about comparing Oxlade-Chamberlain at Southampton (League 2) with Macnamee at Norwich (Championship) ? How come Manure etc are willing to pay 10m allegedly for an obviously worse player. He must be obviously worse because he is playing a league lower, mustn''t he. ? ...... LOL 

[quote user="paul moy"]Ok, I know this is stupid but how about comparing Oxlade-Chamberlain at Southampton (League 2) with Macnamee at Norwich (Championship) ? How come Manure etc are willing to pay 10m allegedly for an obviously worse player. He must be obviously worse because he is playing a league lower, mustn''t he. ? ...... LOL [/quote]I agree mate. How about us comparing good ol'' Owain Tudor Jones with Xavi? I mean if anything, Tudor Jones is better! And alot younger...

Agreed WITS, but surely he is looking ready to step up right now and it''s a tragedy that we can''t recall him to prove it.

[quote user="paul moy"]

Agreed WITS, but surely he is looking ready to step up right now and it''s a tragedy that we can''t recall him to prove it.

[/quote]

Someone call the hyperbole police.

I can''t believe some of the absolute fcuking siht posted on this thread.

1.  How can anybody claim to know that Cody has found his level?  He is relatively new to league football and this is his first season of playing regular league football.  He is banging the goals in and improving all the time.  Who knows what his level is?  Which leads on to my next point -

2.  You cannot draw comparison between Chris Martin scoring regularly last season in League One and not scoring regularly this season in The Championship and applying that to Cody and saying that it proves that in spite of him scoring regularly in League Two, he wouldn''t score regularly in The Championship.  Chris Martin may never be a regular goal scorer above League One standard, Cody may score regularly in The Championship we just don''t know.  Plenty of players have come from non-league and the lower leagues to forge successful careers at the top levels of the game. 

Some players from our current first team squad who have come from lower leagues-

Wes Hoolahan - Shelbourne

Grant Holt - Workington

Andrew Crofts - Gillingham

John Ruddy - Cambridge United

Russell Martin - Lewes

Simeon Jackson - Rushden & Diamonds

3.  Simeon Jackson is currently a better player than Cody Macdonald, the fact that Simeon is currently playing in The Championship and Cody in League Two proves this, WTF? On that basis then, ALL of the players in the Premier League are better than ALL of the players in The Championship, ALL of the players in The Championship are better than ALL of the players in League One ..........etc etc.  What nonsense!

I''ll lump the last bits of siht into my final point -

4.  Cody will stay at Gillingham / Cody not good enough to stay / he will go to a League Two side or some siht?  There is no way that Gillingham will be able to afford to buy Cody Macdonald next season.  And unless the whole of the Norwich board have been drinking some dodgy water, we are not just going to give him away either.  A young, hungy, fast, striker, who has a bit more to his game than just scoring goals and who has scored regularly will be worth a fair few £££''s and will be on lots of shopping lists come the summer (if he was for sale), including those of Championship clubs. 

Personally I think we would be crazy to let Cody go, even if we did get promoted to The Premiership.  If we do get promoted to The Premiership If I was Lambert I would be tempted to try and get him a loan deal at a Championship Club.

Cody is still learning and strikers with his attributes don''t just grow on trees.  Why are so many bashing him?[:^)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

I can''t believe some of the absolute fcuking siht posted on this thread.

1.  How can anybody claim to know that Cody has found his level?  He is relatively new to league football and this is his first season of playing regular league football.  He is banging the goals in and improving all the time.  Who knows what his level is?  Which leads on to my next point -

2.  You cannot draw comparison between Chris Martin scoring regularly last season in League One and not scoring regularly this season in The Championship and applying that to Cody and saying that it proves that in spite of him scoring regularly in League Two, he wouldn''t score regularly in The Championship.  Chris Martin may never be a regular goal scorer above League One standard, Cody may score regularly in The Championship we just don''t know.  Plenty of players have come from non-league and the lower leagues to forge successful careers at the top levels of the game. 

Some players from our current first team squad who have come from lower leagues-

Wes Hoolahan - Shelbourne

Grant Holt - Workington

Andrew Crofts - Gillingham

John Ruddy - Cambridge United

Russell Martin - Lewes

Simeon Jackson - Rushden & Diamonds

3.  Simeon Jackson is currently a better player than Cody Macdonald, the fact that Simeon is currently playing in The Championship and Cody in League Two proves this, WTF? On that basis then, ALL of the players in the Premier League are better than ALL of the players in The Championship, ALL of the players in The Championship are better than ALL of the players in League One ..........etc etc.  What nonsense!

I''ll lump the last bits of siht into my final point -

4.  Cody will stay at Gillingham / Cody not good enough to stay / he will go to a League Two side or some siht?  There is no way that Gillingham will be able to afford to buy Cody Macdonald next season.  And unless the whole of the Norwich board have been drinking some dodgy water, we are not just going to give him away either.  A young, hungy, fast, striker, who has a bit more to his game than just scoring goals and who has scored regularly will be worth a fair few £££''s and will be on lots of shopping lists come the summer (if he was for sale), including those of Championship clubs. 

Personally I think we would be crazy to let Cody go, even if we did get promoted to The Premiership.  If we do get promoted to The Premiership If I was Lambert I would be tempted to try and get him a loan deal at a Championship Club.

Cody is still learning and strikers with his attributes don''t just grow on trees.  Why are so many bashing him?[:^)]

[/quote]

Mate i wanted to write something like that, but my post would have had far to many *********** ´s in it.

You are spot on in your analisis.

Top top post mate !!!

And i will say it again just to p**s off a couple more, god i wish we had cody avalible to play NOW !!!

I remember when we let Dion Dublin go. He ended up at Cambridge in Div 4 and scored for fun. As he took them through the leagues, at first folk said it was at a lower level and we were a division 1 side, but he took them right into the play-offs and so nearly to the Premier league. He was then sold to Man. Utd for 1m.

It could be that Cody isn''t up to this standard but I''d hate us to find out he can do it when it''s too late like we did with Dion.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Wouldn''t mind seeing Cody alongside Holty against Reading on Saturday.....Hypothetically speaking....that is.[/quote]I think this is what it comes down to. It can''t happen, but he''d surely be in the frame if we could call him back tomorrow.As for people moaning about the thread, if a Norwich City fan wants to post a piece of Norwich related information on a forum, then I can''t see a problem with that. There''s about 40 posts on the page to look at, just ignore it if you''re not interested, because some people obviously are.OTBC