Sign in to follow this  
Father North

The Fatal Error

As much as I admire Lambert and his man management he is still pretty much a novice and I believe he has made what may turn out to be a very costly error and that is regarding the loaning of Cody Macdonald.

I believe that we can’t recall until the end of the season? Am I right? I am not entirely sure? But if this is the case it’s a big, big mistake as he is the one man we need right now and his absence could cost us promotion in my opinion. Am I wrong?

Hello and welcome FN.

I would say it was a gamble. It was Cody who hadn''t played a lot of league football but showed some promise Vs Jackson who had played more league games and proven he could get goals.

The problem is that Cody has scored league goals in the champ and league 1 where as Jackson''s came mainly in league 2 and then 1.

The chances are that they could be much of a muchness. Who knows.

My thinking is that Jackson is a very one dimensional striker. By that I mean he only really plays one way. He has buckets of pace and isn''t too shabby in front of goal, the problem I see with him is that when we play the diamond midfield he can''t always make the runs he wants to, he has to go out wide and I am not sure he is so comfortable doing that.

Martin has the ability to play like a midfielder outside of the box and a striker in it and that allows him to perform better in the role we ask of the strikers in a diamond midfield. I would have to say that I think Cody and Johnson would be the same to a certain extent as they have a little more to their game.

I remember Cody being played on the right wing a couple of times last season and he seemed to do ok there and that to me suggests a player has more about them. Jackson has been shifted out there and just looked lost at times. As he does when we are playing the diamond.

He also plays better against teams that like to push up at the back allowing more space in behind and for him to sit right on the last defenders shoulder.

Yes fair enough and I agree to a certain extent and I wouldn''t want to see Cody played in every game but I believe he would turn the occasional game which would make all the difference and it is probably all it is going to take.

I still wish he was here!

If we get promoted Cody gets moved on, if we fail he comes back to Norwich with a good year under him.

Managers have to make judgements all the time,where we are in the league says that he was probably correct, but i too would like Cody here.

HRH

Absolutely spot on WSC.

What is it with this Cody thing and how many times do we have people coming on this board demanding he comes back now.

So keen on him and yet have no idea what the term of his loan was. Pathetic.

I think Chicken''s assessment is about right.

Cody McDonald has only scored one championship goal and 3 at league one level.

Whilst Jackson has close to 20 and has also scored more goals in league two

Cody is doing exactly what Jackson was doing in league 2, and if he wasn''t scoring at that level you would have to question why we signed him in the first place

Does anyone else feel that McDonald''s ability is being slightly over exaggerated?

Frankly the OP needs his head checked if he thinks that Cody McDonald will be the defining factor in whether we are promoted or not.

The thing is we are in a funny position at the moment when it comes to strikers.

We have 6 senior strikers. Holt, Martin, Wilbraham, Jackson, Johnson, MacDonald.

Of those Jackson, Johnson and MacDonald are all very similar in terms of they are seen as the pacey strikers.

As I have said they do differ. Jackson is an out and out fast man - a poor mans Earnshaw if you will.

Johnson appears to have a ton of technical ability but for his size never seems to quite impose himself on anyone. I think he has a lot to offer but he reminds me in some ways of Marc Libra. All that skill but can go missing.

MacDonald is a bit of both. He is quick but is also unselfish, he is a good team player and isn''t scared to bustle when he has to.

In all honesty of the three, from what I have seen I do think Cody has possibly the most potential. People are saying so what he has scored 17 goals, and to be fair if we were at the end of the season I would probably agree. But we''re not. There are a good few games left yet and if that total goes up to nearer 25, which in fairness it probably will do if he keeps in this ritch vein of form, then you have a good striker on your hands. Add to that he has missed games for them at the start of the season and his actual reccord is 17goals in 26 appearances and it becomes that bit more impressive.

I think the summer will bring a dilema no matter whether we go up or not - we can''t have all three on the books permanently if we intend to bring in more proven strikers.

When you compare their league stats directly it''s interesting.

MacDonald has started 5 games for us and come on as a sub a further 19 times scoring 4 goals in the process.

Jackson has made 14 starts and come on as a sub a further 12 times scoring 4 goals in the process.

In terms of League 2 Jackson pipped Holt to the top scorer accalade in 2008-09 season with 21 goals.

As we have already said Cody is on 17 as it stands with what? 15ish left to play.

So I think you can see on head to head they are not too dissimilar. The only real difference of note is that Cody is actually a year older. Of the three, stat wise Oli Johnson is the weak link.

Personaly if we lost any of them I probably would expect it to be Oli simply because he really needs to get regular games under his belt, he has barely 20 starts to his name in terms of professional football and he needs to get his career going.

MacDonald looks to be doing that and I hope over the summer he comes back having scored a bucket load of goals and gets assessed to see if Lambert thinks he has developed enough to have as part of our squad. The thing I like about him is his head never drops, he is a battler and a fighter. And I think there is a bit of a Kevin Philips about him.

If worse comes to worse, loan him out for the first month of next season to a league 1 or newly promoted championship team and see what he does.

I think we have to give Jackson and MacDonald time. Oli needs games, Martin needs a goal as does big old Wilbraham.

If we managed to go up, I think Lambert would actually go for a more proven target man. I say that because I think Wilbraham was brought in as short term cover. He wont be expensive and it wouldn''t surprise me that he would either go or float about til January to get released sold off cheaply. I think Oli would go. That would leave us with Cody, Simeon, Chris and Grant enough space to bring in one or two other more proven strikers.

Have to agree with most of that, although I do rate and like Cody.And to answer the OP''s question (a quick search on here would have worked), it''s a season long loan, we cannot recall him.

I think the main difference is that Cody has much more technique that Simeon especially when talking about his ''finishing'' which is what every striker needs. He is not a poor man''s Earnshaw, he is a poor man''s Beckford (another player who needs many chances before converting to goals). Earnshaw has natural finishing ability AND pace. Cody seems to have a good blend of technique and speed and now he''s looking much more physical too - being in League 2 will only benefit him and I''m not sure he''d have benefited as much playing a bit-part role for us. Anyone can see why PL bought Simeon after 2 great seasons with a struggling Gills. We already had Holt (the big man) and Simeon was the top scorer last season and (seemingly) the perfect little man to partner him. Unfortunately he hasn''t been given a big run of games and hasn''t been able to build up the confidence to put away his chances.. He''s still very young though and I''m sure PL will want some kind of return on the outlay for him. Hopefully he can take any chances that come his until the end of the season..

What is happening to Cody is pretty common in that any spell out of the team does wonders for fans perceptions of a players ability. Absence makes the heart grow stronger and all that.

All we really know about his spell at Gillingham is that he''s knocking the goals in on a fairly regular basis. Nobody really knows if he is capable of doing the same at a higher level or, unless they are watching Gillingham on a regular basis, whether his overall game would improve us as a team. People are looking at the fact that our strikers are misfiring a little at present whilst Cody bang the goals in and seeing a ready made solution when the reality is probably a lot more complicated. And to describe it as ''the fatal error'' is more than a little melodramatic.

[quote user="Jin"]. He is not a poor man''s Earnshaw, he is a poor man''s Beckford (another player who needs many chances before converting to goals)..[/quote]I will take exception to that. I have never seen Beckford put in the amount of effort that Cody does to win balls & link up with players. I agree he does miss too many chances though (although a lot of them would not have existed with a Beckford or Earnshaw type player).I think his present situation is - in the long term - ideal for both him & us.

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Jin"]. He is not a poor man''s Earnshaw, he is a poor man''s Beckford (another player who needs many chances before converting to goals)..[/quote]

I will take exception to that. I have never seen Beckford put in the amount of effort that Cody does to win balls & link up with players. I agree he does miss too many chances though (although a lot of them would not have existed with a Beckford or Earnshaw type player).

I think his present situation is - in the long term - ideal for both him & us.

[/quote]

I might be wrong but I think he was saying Jackson is a poor man''s Beckford.  Although I don''t think I particularly agree with that analogy.

[quote user="SWP Poor Mans Ruel Fox"]

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Jin"]. He is not a poor man''s Earnshaw, he is a poor man''s Beckford (another player who needs many chances before converting to goals)..[/quote]I will take exception to that. I have never seen Beckford put in the amount of effort that Cody does to win balls & link up with players. I agree he does miss too many chances though (although a lot of them would not have existed with a Beckford or Earnshaw type player).I think his present situation is - in the long term - ideal for both him & us.[/quote]

I might be wrong but I think he was saying Jackson is a poor man''s Beckford.  Although I don''t think I particularly agree with that analogy.

[/quote]Aah! Yes. I think you''re probably right. Makes a bit more sense that way.Goes to show what a slippery bugger the English language is.

The OP has only posted what I posted a few weeks back, so of course I agree with him to the extent that it is a fatal error if we fail to gain promotion. Gain promotion and the decision to loan him out made little difference, but if we fail it is my belief that Lambert made a big mistake. With the differences between the top teams in this division being so marginal, just a couple of extra goals could be the difference between promotion or not, and Cody could well have provided those. With him on track to hit 30 or more with Gillingham, I''ve no doubt he could have hit more than Martin and Jackson this season at Norwich.

To those who say that he only scored three last season you have to put that in the context of how much time he had on the pitch bearing in mind that Martin and Holt were always preferred.

At least if we fail to win promotion we have the consolation that Cody is back next season, but if that is the case then this season will always remain in my mind as the season that we shot ourselves in the foot.

This cody love is insane?!how because hes scoring a few in league 2 (lets face it league one last year was piss poor so imagine how bad league 2 is!) will he suddenyl outscore C.Martin in the Championship!?Martin, Jackson, and ollie were all ahead of him in the striking department....one reason for that ; they are all better players.Johnson can be debated but the rest would massacre league 2. We all want the lad to succeed because its our shared dream...i mean wed all love to quit our shite jobs and get a contract at City!!!But a bit of realism is required.....hes improving...thats good. perhaps the first three months of next season we can loan him out in League one....and if he continues the same form then sure bring him back.....but i think any striker will tell you the guklf in class between Championship and League 2 defences!

I''m not sure it will be fatal, I think Simeon Jackson will start scoring, he''s getting in good positions and has been foiled by some good saves in the games I''ve seen recently. It happens so often in football where someone is on a bad run yet luck changes and they start doing well - then everyone decides not to remember why they were criticising in first place.

I accept Cody is doing well and that preferably a recall clause would have been better. But I suppose its all part of negotiation when deals take place.

Cody Mac is 25, so he should not be included with the youngsters in the squad even though his time on professional books may have been less long.

A player making it fom non-league footballis always an emotive thing for the fans. Cody enhances this because he is a genuine trier.

However, he has had his chances to break through into the first team under two managers and has proven to be just short of what it takes.

He is at his level in League 2 and then perhaps League 1.

I would not want him back at Carrow Road. We need to cash in as much as we can.

Jackson has disappointed me a bit but I feel he needs longer. Sometime next season will tell us whether his future is in the Canary forward line .........  unless we get promoted. In this case he would need to be sold, probably at a loss.

Don''t know about "fatal."  Living were I do I go to Gillingham sometimes and it is rather dead end. Cody will survive there however. Norwich have got this move just right. in professional terms.

[quote user="Father North"]As much as I admire Lambert and his man management he is still pretty much a novice and I believe he has made what may turn out to be a very costly error and that is regarding the loaning of Cody Macdonald.

I believe that we can’t recall until the end of the season? Am I right? I am not entirely sure? But if this is the case it’s a big, big mistake as he is the one man we need right now and his absence could cost us promotion in my opinion. Am I wrong?[/quote]

i have just woke up hung over so cheers for the laugh

Making a couple of massive assumptions...

If Gillingham do not make the play-offs and Norwich do, we''d be able to have a striker high on confidence with plenty of goals to his name and something to prove available to us - I can imagine him doing his warm ups in front of Lambert from minute 1...

I think my original point may have been missed by most. I see no point in comparing strikers it''s pretty pointless as it''s hypothetical when the comparison is with someone playing in a different league elsewhere.

Undoubtably at the end of this season the difference between success and failure will be minor and might come down to the odd goal or even goal difference, It wouldn’t be that remarkable, would it?

Well I truly believe that Cody could have made that difference, he probably would have played a bit-part, existence and not played full games but I am sure he would have made that difference maybe 1 or 2 goals would have been all is would take.

In my opinion Lamberts big weakness concerns strikers, look at who he’s signed look at the goals they have scored, not good. I have read all the posts and I still think its big mistake.

[quote user="writeronthestorm"]

Making a couple of massive assumptions...

If Gillingham do not make the play-offs and Norwich do, we''d be able to have a striker high on confidence with plenty of goals to his name and something to prove available to us - I can imagine him doing his warm ups in front of Lambert from minute 1...

[/quote]

Didn''t really think about this, but I''d happily have him in the squad for play-offs on the bench or even starting if he''s still playing well. Lovely

I have to say there has been alot of nonsense posted on here about Cody/

Don''t get me wrong, I like him, he made my birthday when he got the late winner at Walsall away but you have to realise that the gulf in class between league two and the championship is enormous and 20 goals in that league really ddoesn''t mean he would cut it for us at this level.

The loan deal for him allowed us to sign Jackson, and probably saved a fair bit of cash; at the time no one thought there was anything wrong with that deal.

Let''s just back the boys who are here, like Chris Martin, because they''ve got us this far and we have every chance of going up/

OTBC

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]

Don''t get me wrong, I like him, he made my birthday when he got the late winner at Walsall away but you have to realise that the gulf in class between league two and the championship is enormous and 20 goals in that league really ddoesn''t mean he would cut it for us at this level.

The loan deal for him allowed us to sign Jackson, and probably saved a fair bit of cash; at the time no one thought there was anything wrong with that deal.

Let''s just back the boys who are here, like Chris Martin, because they''ve got us this far and we have every chance of going up/

OTBC

[/quote]

Chris Martin? NO! he can''t seem to keep out of trouble, his ego has outgrown his ability. Time to get shot of him in my opinion, players like him bring a club down.

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]

OTBC

[/quote]

Chris Martin? NO! he can''t seem to keep out of trouble, his ego has outgrown his ability. Time to get shot of him in my opinion, players like him bring a club down.