Sign in to follow this  
Herman

Named shirts!

There was an interesting article on Radio 4 yesterday about having names put on football shirts.A couple bought their son a Newcastle shirt for Christmas,and he wanted his favourite players name put on it,which was,you guessed it,Carroll.So within a couple of weeks their not cheap present was unusable.

Now to the point.Their complaint was that they should get some money back from the club.But even though i have some sympathy for their cause,my personal opinion is that it is a risk you have to take.

So should clubs refund some of the money if this happens,or tell them to sod off,politely?

Cynically, my response is "tough".

The club didn''t force them to buy the shirt, never mind have his name on the back of it. They made the decision to enter the club shop, select the shirt, have the name and number printed on the back, no-one forced them to do so.

Football clubs are many things these days, but one thing they do not have is some sort of moral obligation to compensate people if they purchase something and it then goes out of fashion!

We all go out and buy mobile phones, PC''s, laptops and other teccy bits and pieces which are either obsolete or upgraded soon after they have been released, can we then storm the shop, else bang on the door of Nokia, Microsoft, Sony et al and demand our money back? Erm, no.

For goodness sake, buy a shirt if you want, but how about just having the number on the back, else maybe your name, a nickname, or some other bespoke reference to YOU, the wearer of the shirt? You''re the fan, its your shirt, its your support that you are indicating, why then feel you need to have someone elses name on it? That couples son isn''t

Andy Carroll, why does he feel the need to "pretend" he is, else show his devotion to one player in such a way, rather than show off his own?

I see loads of people wearing Norwich shirts that have very obviously been very personalised-names, numbers, or both. They are unique, a one-off person and supporter wearing them. And they''ll never be ''out of date''.

I am sure people will disagree and football is certainly about opinions, but mine is, as Herman says, thats the risk you take in an industry that is so transient. I hope Newcastle don''t give them back a penny, though after getting all that money for Carroll, they can probably afford to!

When he returns to NCFC I''m gonna have printed on the back of my shirt.... "ENIGMA" followed by a multitude of random numbers printed underneath - and at the bottom, "CODY".....

On the front I''ll have emblazoned....."MACDONALD SCAFFOLDING SERVICES AND SOLUTIONS"

I think you should buy knowing the possibility of them leaving, the risk one takes, i guess.

I think you just need to have common sense about it, unless you are an idiot and only know 1 player (in which case i dont believe you should be allowed a shirt) then you have plenty to choose from. For example, when i got my NCFC shirt earlier this year i didn''t get Hoolahan as i knew his contract was up at the end of the season (although now i kind of wish i had of done, but at the time a rational decision). Instead i got "Martin" with number "16".

[quote user="Herman "]Enigma Code/Cody =pun,play on words.Enigma machine,Germans,WW2 etc[/quote]

Yes.....and it was the Americans who invented it.....

[quote user="zak123"]I think you should buy knowing the possibility of them leaving, the risk one takes, i guess. I think you just need to have common sense about it, unless you are an idiot and only know 1 player (in which case i dont believe you should be allowed a shirt) then you have plenty to choose from. For example, when i got my NCFC shirt earlier this year i didn''t get Hoolahan as i knew his contract was up at the end of the season (although now i kind of wish i had of done, but at the time a rational decision). Instead i got "Martin" with number "16".[/quote]

Rudd/Ruddy,Croft/Crofts is great long term thinking by the NCFC board[Y]

Great reply Old Shuck.I think you hit the nail on the head.

[quote user="morty"]So, what we''re saying is that Cody McDonald is a Nazi?

This is indeed disturbing.
[/quote]

No.....he''s a scaffolder and he sang ''Lily the Pink''......

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="Herman "]Enigma Code/Cody =pun,play on words.Enigma machine,Germans,WW2 etc[/quote]

[/quote]

Aaah,you''ve seen the film as well.Invented it,sold it,discovered it,deciphered it,won the war,and all before tea and Twinkies[Y]

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Aaah,you''ve seen the film as well.Invented it,sold it,discovered it,deciphered it,won the war,and all before tea and Twinkies[Y]

[/quote]

The yanks also designed the Spitfire, the wheel, Radar, fish and chips, created soccer, cricket - and discovered America and built the pyramids..... 

I''ll  get some flack or this , but as an oldie, I think anybody over the age of eighteen wearing a club shirt looks daft. Terraces full of middle-aged men all wearing their named club shirts like doting little schoolboys all cloned  in unison. Embarrassing.

Certainly not for me as I prefer  individuality in any case,  with maybe just a scarf on occasions.

Having said that mascot style dress is eccentric fun at times, as are daft hats.

Still , its a good thing if the club make a lot of cash from  shirt sales, which they anticipate to the point of exploitation.

Now for my hammering.

I think at the football its fine to have a name on your shirt. Why do you buy a NCFC shirt? To show your support isn''t it? So i don''t see the problem with showing your support to your favourite players as well.

Definatly not going to have a go at your BroadstairsR, but i have to say i don''t agree.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I''ll  get some flack or this , but as an oldie, I think anybody over the age of eighteen wearing a club shirt looks daft. Terraces full of middle-aged men all wearing their named club shirts like doting little schoolboys all cloned  in unison. Embarrassing.

Certainly not for me as I prefer  individuality in any case,  with maybe just a scarf on occasions.

Having said that mascot style dress is eccentric fun at times, as are daft hats.

Still , its a good thing if the club make a lot of cash from  shirt sales, which they anticipate to the point of exploitation.

Now for my hammering.

[/quote]

no hammering from me broadstairs...I''m with you on that one. although adults get away with retro ncfc shirts...I have the boyer/peters/neighbour one, Bur I rarely wear it to games.

I am affraid I think its a big fat tough on this one.Its the risk you run, especially with the xmas / transfer window. Should just buy the kid the shirt without the name or personalise it to the kid.Just think of all the Caroll and Torres shirts bought over xmas. I feel worse for the Torres ones tbh !!

Although I would still buy next seasons shirt and get Huckerby 9 on the back :-p

I dont see the issue with adults wearing shirts and why its embarassing ?!?!?!I wear football shirts to the gym , to play football and to watch football. I generally pick up a shirt for a major team in countrys I visit so have loads of footy shirts !I always wear a Norwich shirt to city games and do so proudly. I am 30.I would rather wear this than go casual to games !!

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]I am affraid I think its a big fat tough on this one.

Its the risk you run, especially with the xmas / transfer window. Should just buy the kid the shirt without the name or personalise it to the kid.

Just think of all the Caroll and Torres shirts bought over xmas. I feel worse for the Torres ones tbh !!

Although I would still buy next seasons shirt and get Huckerby 9 on the back :-p
[/quote]

I can understand that.Having a heroes name on the back is not going to be a waste[Y]

Question;

Can the names be removed easily enough?If so clubs could offer a free removal service.

As to wearing a shirt,personally it would only be at a game,because they aren''t comfortable.Simple as.

[quote user="Herman "]

I can understand that.Having a heroes name on the back is not going to be a waste[Y]

Question;

Can the names be removed easily enough?If so clubs could offer a free removal service.

As to wearing a shirt,personally it would only be at a game,because they aren''t comfortable.Simple as.

[/quote]That really depends on the Quality of the print.I have a well worn 2009 Arsenal shirt and the sponser logo is all but flaked off .My 2009/ 2010 Aviva prints is also well on its way out from last year.That said, my 2009 Real Madrid Home and Away kits still in total mint condition.All shirts well worn, as I say casual wear and Gym / football / sports use.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

this is just back luck

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news//2011/02/02/walton-boy-s-torres-and-carroll-shirts-out-of-date-just-four-weeks-after-christmas-50061-28097992/

[/quote]His Grans name is Tierney so she shoulda got him a Norwich shirt !!I kinda feel bad for him, that said I dont actually go for names on shirts.... I actually see that as tacky to be honest.Especially people who get thier name rather than a players name.In the case of Torres hes a turn coat bastard so frankly you couldnt get away with it.But for example wearing a Bellamy shirt to a Norwich game from that era is not bad in my eyes.Neither is wearing a Newcastle shirt with Caroll to a Newcastle game.Although for kids its a lot different.Society deems that they need the correct names and logos.I still remember ripping a kid to bits as a teenager because someone joked  " Alex Ferguson scored a great goal this weekend" and the poor glory boy wanting to fit in said "Yes it was great" we ripped him apart and he just wanted to fit in.THATS the sad part, not the buying of the shirt printed with a expired player name !

Maybe the clubs are missing a trick here. I bet a lot of people don''t have names printed on the back of their shirts for fear of the player leaving. But how about if the club offers to replace named shirts for half price if the player leaves within 6 months of purchase? They would then make more money on sales of lettering for shirts and also probably still make a profit on the half price shirts. Everyones a winner!

At least it was only a name on a shirt.[quote]Fed up Mark Brewer is Britain’s unluckiest soccer fan after all his attempts to honour Arsenal with tattoos ended in own goals.Mark, 29. named his three children after Gunners players and had them tattooed on his right arm. All promptly QUIT the club.Then he paid £50 to have the Premiership club’s famous cannon crest on his left arm ? and two weeks later they CHANGED the design.Mark said last night: "Every time I try to show my support something goes wrong."It took about two hours to have the crest tattooed. It was painful but I was so pleased with the result that I didn’t mind." But he was stunned when it revealed that Arsenal have a new-look badge.Mark said: "I couldn’t believe it. I was absolutely gutted."His first tribute to Arsenal was to include Paul Merson in the names of son James, now six, in January 1996.Son Matt, four, also has the names Ian Wright, who went to West Ham. Daughter Holly, two, has French midfielder Emmanuel Petit, now playing for rivals Chelsea.But Mark, of Hayling Island, Hants, said: "I’m still proud of my tattoos ? and I prefer the old club crest."[/quote]

[quote user="Herman "]

There was an interesting article on Radio 4 yesterday about having names put on football shirts.A couple bought their son a Newcastle shirt for Christmas,and he wanted his favourite players name put on it,which was,you guessed it,Carroll.So within a couple of weeks their not cheap present was unusable.

Now to the point.Their complaint was that they should get some money back from the club.But even though i have some sympathy for their cause,my personal opinion is that it is a risk you have to take.

So should clubs refund some of the money if this happens,or tell them to sod off,politely?

[/quote]

Don''t think it was as bad as the Newcastle Fan paid ''£100 to have a tattoo of Andy Cole put on his arm, only for A/C to be sold to Manur the week after

Exactly why I only ever get my name on the back of Shirts.

*Look out for the white away shirt with "Lambo 14" on it! If you see if feel free to say hi!

I dont see the problem of anyone of any age wearing a city shirt, however i certainly would not hammer someone for having different views.

Last season i had an away shirt printed with NCFC LEAGUE ONE TOUR on it, and not only did it start many a conversation, i also sent it into the club, got the squad to sign it and now i have a nice keepsake that is framed and on my living room wall (not that my other half likes it!)