Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Reading

Ricardo forgot to wear his lucky scarf today so the nerves were jangling as City kicked off towards the River End this afternoon. Lambert must have heard my pre-match prayers as Wes and Chris Martin started and Andy Surman was at last on the bench. It was a slow opening few minutes with Reading setting the pace with an early corner and freekick that came to nothing. When City finally came forward Martin got a header on target and then was unlucky when his shot was parried and fell kindly for the keeper. The full backs were pushing well forward and seemed to have loads of space against Readings much narrower formation. Holt volleyed over from a corner and when Martin again tested Federici it looked like a goal would come any minute. On 16 minutes it arrived as Wes collected Holts header to right of goal and his quick turn left two defenders going the wrong way. The neat pass was met by Lansbury who netted with a hard low shot into the corner.It was all City now and it should have been two as Martin put Holt through with only the keeper to beat but the big mans effort just cleared the bar. Optimiststs were dreaming of handing out a hiding to Reading as the chances came thick and fast but I guess its not the NCFC way to win comfortably. On 26 minutes the lively Kebe found space on the right as Drury was caught upfield, Ward came across to cover but his weak tackle left the winger clear and his low cross was easily despatched by Long from six yards. It was a real kick in the teeth but one we should be used to by now as we find it almost impossible to keep a clean sheet. The game got a bit scrappy for about ten minutes but eventually regained control. Holt had a great effort on target as he met Lansburys cross only to be foiled by a superb one handed same by Federici. It was frustrating because as halftime arrived you had the feeling that with a bit of luck we could and should have had things wrapped up.Reading must have had a bollocking because they closed down much quicker as the second half started. After 46 minutes it looked from Ricardos position that Fox had tripped a Reading player in the box but the Ref wasn''t impressed and we dodged a bullet as Reading protested. Surman replaced Lansbury on 63 minutes and within seconds City recieved a real boost when Karacans lunge tackle went right through Fox. It was an obvious red and the crowd began to sense victory again.Surman and Wes were pulling all the strings but chances were spurned as quickly as they were made. Surman clipped the bar and then Croft went clean through from Holts pass only to shoot straight at the keeper. Wes then had a shot saved before Reading broke clear on their left. Barnett pulled up like a shot rabbit as Long went clear and Antonio''s shot was deflected over. Barnett was quickly replaced by Whitbread as City tried to make the extra man count. Wheelie replaced Martin as time ticked away, Chris had played well but it was fast approaching time to "go long". Amazingly Holt failed with another couple of one on ones and Wes blasted over from 8 yards as the misses became more and more ridiculous. Ricardo glanced at his watch as the last grains of sand ran through the egg timer. Apparantly McNally caught a clearance in the Directors box and threw the ball to Lambert but Ricardo can''t swear to it as his eyes were tight shut in prayer. All I saw was Surmans pass to Croft and then the net bulging as Holty rammed in the Welshmans low cross. Late goal I hear you say, well it was so late this week it was almost into British Summer Time.So what can we say after all that? In parts it was a good performance but I still can''t help feeling we gift to many goals to the opposition. MOM for me was Wes, we just can''t play without him. As for the late goals, well I am seriously considering asking for a season ticket for just the last five minutes of games. Onwards and upwards, perhaps.

Ricardo,

As always an excellent report, I was there this afternoon and your words offer a well composed summary to those that weren''t!

As you say, we need to be more clinical in the final third and finish teams off much earlier.

I also think we should now go all out for an auto position and bring two more in on loan. Both of course need to be above the average of our current quality and should give us further strength in depth. One striker and one midfielder for me....

Until I saw the winner again on youtube (thanks AndyJR) I hadn''t appreciated that sublime back heel pass from Surman.Wonderful stuff.

Thanks for taking the time and the trouble to post your match report Ricardo. I always find it informative and entertaining. I live too far away to make it to home matches and "Ricardo''s Report" has become a home Saturday institution for me. Thanks again and I hope you enjoyed a draught Peroni.

[quote user="Al Catraz"]Thanks for taking the time and the trouble to post your match report Ricardo. I always find it informative and entertaining. I live too far away to make it to home matches and "Ricardo''s Report" has become a home Saturday institution for me. Thanks again and I hope you enjoyed a draught Peroni.[/quote]Thanks Al, I had a pre-match couple of jars. I think its what made me forget my lucky scarf.Had my lucky underpants on though.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Al Catraz"]Thanks for taking the time and the trouble to post your match report Ricardo. I always find it informative and entertaining. I live too far away to make it to home matches and "Ricardo''s Report" has become a home Saturday institution for me. Thanks again and I hope you enjoyed a draught Peroni.[/quote]

Thanks Al, I had a pre-match couple of jars. I think its what made me forget my lucky scarf.

Had my lucky underpants on though.
[/quote]

Cheers mate, have a good evening.

Required reading[Y] as always for exiles and self-exiles, Ricardo, but without Snowy it is a bit like Hamlet without the Prince...[;)][:D][;)]

Ricardo''s report... so good I read it even as a season ticket holder who makes most games!

[quote user="Broadstairs Canary"]You seriously need to upgrade your watch Ricardo![/quote]I''m going for a wrist sundial next, LOL.